Tom Clancy's The Division [PS4, XO]

Yes it was shown on a PS4 SDK.

If this was running on a PC, a high-end one at that, I would expect the PC to brute force more than 30fps.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-tom-clancys-the-division

Showcased playing live on PlayStation 4 as the zinger to Ubisoft's otherwise trailer-strewn conference, The Division reinvigorates our expectations of next-gen gaming. With its always online, post-pandemic take on New York City, it features a slew of advanced effects-work and physics that are hard to believe could be possible on current console technology. It's the technical pin-up of the moment, taking the mantle previously held by Ubisoft's own Watch Dogs (and the now sadly defunct Star Wars 1313 project) as indicators of what could be achieved with exclusive development on PS4 and Xbox One.

Indoors, lighting comes into its own with torch-lights being directed by other squad members, plus light-shafts streaming through unbarred windows. By means of the rallying signs, maps and post-it notes, The Division's higher resolution texture-work also means we can piece together a personal narrative for how the city has dismantled up until this point. Based on our high quality direct feed of the playthrough used for this analysis, the game world is uncompromising in these micro details. The strength of the PS4 hardware being as such, adopting a smooth anisotropic approach to filtering textures is trivial to overall performance, as much as it is for the modern PC gamer.

But what can be said of performance in its current state, still so far away from completion? The Division's frame-rate is a solid 30fps based on what's shown so far, with only hints of dips to 28fps during grenade explosions. There's also a faint stuttering effect as a result of irregular frame ordering - it's still 30 on average, but we can sometimes see two unique frames in a row, followed by two duplicates that can make motion feel uneven - the same artifact we saw in the PS4 Need for Speed: Rivals playthrough at the EA conference. Tearing is also present but difficult to spot, being mostly contained to the bottom 50 pixels of the buffer used during the analysis. Here, we just get the idea that the framebuffer isn't being flipped at the right point - an issue that should be easily resolved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmm...

I'm still sceptical. I have it on pre-order, but it won't appear for quite some time. First, there's still the Ubisoft "IQ-degrade-when-the-game-is-ready" and I'm not a fan of a kind of an on-line (or single player with lots of bots) open-world RPG without a clear story.

From what I've read so far, The Division is mainly on-line... in some respect it's a slower paced Titanfall with just real people ????

From what I've read so far, The Division is mainly on-line... in some respect it's a slower paced Titanfall with just real people ????

Its 4 player action RPG coop game with both regular players and tablet players. From time to time, players will be funneled to "dark zones" where PVP between squads will be possible.

Its 4 player action RPG coop game with both regular players and tablet players. From time to time, players will be funneled to "dark zones" where PVP between squads will be possible.

The initial E3 demo made PvP seem like a far more prevalent element in the game. If I recall correctly, after clearing the Police Station of AI enemies they had to initiate the extraction process in order to keep the loot they gained. At that point they were ambushed by a player controlled squad since the extraction process seems to alert nearby player teams.

I agree with him that they are doing UI/HUD right and it's very helpful for immersion.
More devs, even more famous ones like ND, should follow their example.

It would be awesome to see some player communicate with other players that are located in far different regions, and work together as a team, or probably fight against each other. It's kind of like Watch Dogs, but The Division is more complicated and more cooperation, not individual. Maybe that's the reason why Ubisoft made these 2 games.

Expected, but still disappointing. We'll surely see all this stuff at E3. FC4, New Division footage, cant wait!

I'm actually liking this new trend of postponing and fixing games so they don't release as a disappointing mess. It's particularly important for new IP, where you only get once chance to make that all important first impression.

It is my understanding that Massive never targeted 2014 and were quite surprised (and upset) that Ubisoft decided to announce a 2014 release at the last E3. I suspect a communication mishap of some type or perhaps a deliberate (with no intention of meeting that date) move by Ubi for other reasons. Doesn't too much matter, I suppose, and that's all just hearsay at the moment. Regardless of what happened it is my most anticipated game on any platform thus far. Really looking forward to it.

EDIT

Edited to clarify that this is pure rumor.

OK, so I know the game is using screen-space reflections, but what the hell is up with the specular lights? Even at the beginning of the gameplay video, we see the female character running towards the light and she doesn't cast a shadow (another issue) nor reflect over the reflection of the dynamic light, it looks like she's floating on the ground. This has been a problem with Infamous, screen-space reflections work as they should have. But nothing reflects over the specular reflections. It just really breaks the consistency. Not just Infamous, but almost all games. Watch Dogs, too.

EDIT:

This just in, http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/170479-ubisoft-massive-sweden-leak-on-division-downgrade/
I know it's a rumour, but this line "Right now we already took out quite a lot of screen space reflections from the game and are working on asset management the best we can given consoles have that great unified memory." Probably has something to do with this. The screen-space reflections were awfully low-resolution on some surfaces.

This just in, http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/170479-ubisoft-massive-sweden-leak-on-division-downgrade/
I know it's a rumour, but this line "Right now we already took out quite a lot of screen space reflections from the game and are working on asset management the best we can given consoles have that great unified memory." Probably has something to do with this. The screen-space reflections were awfully low-resolution on some surfaces.

Oh no, not again !!!

Tempted to already cancel my pre-order......

Back