Battlefield 4 official discussion/thread. [PS4,XO,PS3,X360]

:)

ckq3adww92re4vlw1.jpg

This is from Kaveri APU closed CES presentation. Hopefully we will find out percentages for desktop 7xxx/R9 290/R9 290x cards.

Oh god, really? Maybe I'm lucky, I always get dropped into a Conquest game immediately. Can't say I've ever counted the number of players to see whether I'm in a 64 player match, but it always feel like there's a crazy amount of people in a game.

I'm enjoying Squad Deathmatch by quite some margin, four teams is a great way of playing. I've come from COD though, so the vehicles don't really sit well with me. I find Conquest games seem to involve running to a location only to be sniped when I got there. The vehicles can make the game laugh out loud funny sometimes though.

Yah, again last night my friends and I were trying to get into Conquest games and we'd just get constant "failed to connect" messages or we'd get put into games by ourselves (1/64). That was four different people in four different cities. I don't understand it, but the few times I've tried to play over the last couple of weeks I haven't been able to quick match at all. The only way to get into a game is by going to a server browser and sitting through a queue of 10 people, which usually takes a full round or two to free up enough space. It's a joke.

I hate the fake reflections in BF4, unfortunately they are part of what make BF4 so impressive looking at a glance but when you observe that they are just baked cubemap on a specular surface rather than actually reflecting anything from the environment you see how it falls apart, also the lack of POM is disappointing.

it *might* be somewhat useful to look behind me in a vehicle vie that tiny rear view mirror...maybe it would change my behavior and i would kill something behind me

or maybe i'd rather they focus on things that effect gameplay, like the falling of enormous skyscrapers across a whole map...there is so much going on that effects gameplay mechanics, i have a hard time caring about asthetics like small baked cubemaps

...but i did notice that the other day too ;)

edit:

no problems at all on the PS4 version...a couple games i was in had some bad rubber banding, but i just quit and joined a better game

it *might* be somewhat useful to look behind me in a vehicle vie that tiny rear view mirror...maybe it would change my behavior and i would kill something behind me

or maybe i'd rather they focus on things that effect gameplay, like the falling of enormous skyscrapers across a whole map...there is so much going on that effects gameplay mechanics, i have a hard time caring about asthetics like small baked cubemaps

Well if that's the case then why do even have effects like shadow casting smoke, interactive foliage, state preserving particles that have correct physics...none of these things have any impact on the gameplay and no one really looks at them in the heat of action. It'd be alright if it really were just small baked cubemaps but when you have specular surfaces everywhere in the game you'd expect them to at least have real time updates on the cubemaps, let alone even ask for something like SSR. In fact even COD Ghosts uses SSR liberally :p

Speaking of levolution, shanghai and that flood map are literally the only two maps where I find them to have a considerable impact on the gameplay and the look of the game. I find the storm in Parcel storm to be more impressive than the ship crashing on the beach.

Maybe there are more problems with the X1 servers, or it could be a regional thing. I'm playing on USA East servers.

Could be - I'm in the UK, so will be on European servers. I didn't even know there was a queuing system in place on the game. Just works as I'd expect; hit Conquest, connect to game 5-10 seconds later (followed by loading).

Could be - I'm in the UK, so will be on European servers. I didn't even know there was a queuing system in place on the game. Just works as I'd expect; hit Conquest, connect to game 5-10 seconds later (followed by loading).

That's the way it was for me at launch. They had some connectivity issues, but you could quick match and get into something quickly. The last three weeks have been horrible. The denial of service attacks didn't help. Maybe that's what was going on again yesterday.

Well if that's the case then why do even have effects like shadow casting smoke, interactive foliage, state preserving particles that have correct physics...none of these things have any impact on the gameplay and no one really looks at them in the heat of action. It'd be alright if it really were just small baked cubemaps but when you have specular surfaces everywhere in the game you'd expect them to at least have real time updates on the cubemaps, let alone even ask for something like SSR. In fact even COD Ghosts uses SSR liberally :p

I use smoke, shadows, and foliage all the time in that game. I see your point though, I DID notice the crappy mirror reflection. :p

Speaking of levolution, shanghai and that flood map are literally the only two maps where I find them to have a considerable impact on the gameplay and the look of the game. I find the storm in Parcel storm to be more impressive than the ship crashing on the beach.

I disagree. The epic 'levolving' is neat for sure, but at the end of every map, all the buildings next to objectives are obliterated to the point that the map has completely changed. When a map starts, I am maneuverying through furnished buildings, up and down stairs, around parked cars. At the end of a map, I'm in hollowed out buildings with very little cover from much except above and below, gigantic pits blown out of the ground, gas tanks at a gas station blown to smitherines. There's more than just a single level changing event that occurs, and it happens in every map, so much is destructable.

How do you even use shadow casting smoke and interactive foliage in gameplay? :S
I take it you meant hiding in shadows and underneath foliage, that's a different thing though.

Also I was referring to your remark about enormous skyscrapers falling which led me to believe you were only talking about levolution, hence the comment about it rarely having any effect on the gameplay outside of the two maps I mentioned. The usual destruction of walls and stuff is different and I agree with you there, even though it's still nowhere close to BFBC2 where you could reduce most of the buildings in the map to a pile of debris with BF4 and BF3 they toned it down quite a bit.

I have a question for ps4 players: my initial 6gb download is done, lpayed a bit of the campIgn too. Now , can I quit the game and play KZ? Will it keep downloading in the background? Or do I need to keep bf4 fired up to keep downloading?

I assume that it should keep on downloading, since its background download after all :D

Battlefield 4 official discussion/thread. (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PS3/360 a...

Downloaded ! Damn, the gfx in the campIgn arw out of this world ! Smetimes they get too beautiful ! Lack of PoM is bittert hough, but still fab !

Edit: DMn, that. Bf music can put a smile on my face anytime :cool: !

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question for ps4 players: my initial 6gb download is done, lpayed a bit of the campIgn too. Now , can I quit the game and play KZ? Will it keep downloading in the background? Or do I need to keep bf4 fired up to keep downloading?

It should still download in the background. It's worth checking the standby settings of the PS4, because mine defaulted to not going into standby at all. Took me about a week before I realised. Once you change those settings the games will update themselves without you needing to know about it. You'll know if done right because you'll have an orange light along the middle of the console.

I didn't know there was a 6GB update, so I presume it happened overnight (I've had BF4 and a PS4 since release).

You should try out Squad Deathmatch, I think that's the best mode. Conquest is overrated.

Battlefield 4 official discussion/thread. (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PS3/360 a...

Ya that stands. KZ lighting is on another level, but the beach landing in the Singapore level of BF4 is breathtaking !

And bf4 on 60fps is a whole different game ! Wow ! Took time adjusting ! Had a superf ab conquest on Zavod and it looks so different from the ps3 version of Zavod, the light adds another colour missing on ps3 ! Lovely ! We were having our own little battle at F while the rest of the war continued ! Kept F in our hands throughout !

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the video recording function is just fab ! Whenever something cool happens, u know its already recorded !
Here's nothing special but a part of what I described earlier: me defending flag F non stop in Zavod 311:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151814910381356

There were some very cool bits of me blasting guys with my vehicle but I kept the. Ideo short. One pesky guy was constantly hovering around the point, showing up on mini map now and then but No one could find him. i finally found him and took his damn tags ! Serves u right u pesky rats clamouring my flag !
And heres a screen I took from the campaign, I was surprised when I realised it was realtime and I could look around !

https://mobile.twitter.com/Renegade...7634398208/photo/1?screen_name=Renegade_Rocks

The scene went playable seamlessly !

@Scott: having no troubles with ps4 version here, no crashes, nothing. Check if theres some issue with ur network. The game is working flawlessly for me, just like it was on the ps3.

@Scott: having no troubles with ps4 version here, no crashes, nothing. Check if theres some issue with ur network. The game is working flawlessly for me, just like it was on the ps3.

And after installing the latest 906 MB (WTF ??!?) patch on my PS4, I lost again the progress of a complete chapter..

Thank you Sony (??) or Dice (??)

Fix this !!

(looks like after installing a patch you loose save game progress)

Back