Battlefield 4 official discussion/thread. [PS4,XO,PS3,X360]

IGN posting impressions from a build what Gamespot said lacked all vehicles and had limited player count is just dumb. Its obviously far from finished. Its not even content complete beta

BF3 was in rough shape on beta form on established platform PC/PS3/360. The performance improved massively to final

Although instresting they show it on supposed PS4 when MS is paying for exclusive content. Might be some truth to whishpers that XONE builds are behind. I dont think Sony is doing anything with NFS either

If they don't want people to post impressions, they shouldn't show them to the media, because that's what they do.

Well, that made my decision a whole lot easier... no BF4 for me. I never expected the PS4/XB1 version to better than the PC, however I did expect DICE to use the systems strengths... not hack/slash stuff and call it optimization on meeting the console launch dates time frame.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/battl...d_to_compromise_in_some_places_says_dice.html

The PC version of Battlefield 4 will look better than the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions, executive producer Patrick Bach has suggested, telling VideoGamer.com that DICE is "doing as much as [it] can" with the next-gen versions, "but we need to compromise in some places".

Asked whether he was happy with the final system specs of PS4 and Xbox One, Bach said: "I'm never happy. I always feel like there's more that we can do [and] there's always more that other people could do."

But does he wish they offered more?

"Of course I do. I want PCs to be twice as fast as well. I think [PS4 & Xbox One] will do what they are supposed to do. They will move console gaming farther. It will take console gaming into a new generation. Then the question is, could they have done more? Yes. Would it cost the same? No. It would be twice the price. Would that be a reasonable thing to sell to consumers? Probably not.

At 30fps or 720p some of us were hoping they'd get reasonably close.

But this is a cross gen multiplat first wave title.
BF4 next-gen is neither of those... it's >720p and it's 60fps. Of course there will be compromises, but it will probably look almost the same as on PC. Don't judge until you see the final build IMO.

At 30fps or 720p some of us were hoping they'd get reasonably close.

But this is a cross gen multiplat first wave title.

I have a feeling it will be reasonably close. It's 60fps, >720p and 64 players online. It will most likely have all of the same physics. I'm sure there will be some hit to the graphics, outside of resolution, but overall everything will be there.

Did any of you seriously believe they could achieve the same things as they could with a super high-end PC?

High-end, no. Midrange, yes. True 1080p/30fps should be achievable at some level of programming with BF4. But yes, everyone and their moms want 60fps and 60ish characters running around... to hell with graphic IQ fidelity. :rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you want, but 60 FPS in a MP shooter like BF4 is much more important than eye candy.

The graphics of BF3 were amazing IMO so whatever BF4 comes up with is just icing.

Personally I will only get BF4 if Dice make a spectate mode and decent admin tools to deal with the PC hackers.

Roll your eyes all you want, but 60 FPS in a MP shooter like BF4 is much more important than eye candy.

That's your opinion. Personally I don't care about MP, my main concern was about the single player game experience... which will be crippled right along side MP. But like I said, not a purchase for me - console wise anyhow. KZ:SF should keep me busy.... ;)

High-end, no. Midrange, yes. True 1080p/30fps should be achievable at some level of programming with BF4. But yes, everyone and their moms want 60fps and 60ish characters running around... to hell with graphic IQ fidelity. :rolleyes:

If a shooter isn't 60 FPS then it's not going to be recognized as a good shooter by a lot of people unless it is called Halo. And I'm not sure how much longer Halo fans will give the Halo series a pass for not being 60 FPS.

If it isn't 60 FPS, then forget about ever competing much less dethroning COD as the king of FPS.

Regards,
SB

Agreed!

But I am also in favour of running the game at 720p and 60 fps as long as they keep the eye candy, which I think can be perfectly doable on the PS4 and Xbox One at 720p.

The new consoles are like 8x - 10x times more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360, so the problem is that they aren't used to the blitters and other revolutionary technology of the new consoles.

Maybe they should include a "Cinematic Mode" in the game's video setup (SP-only) that renders at 1080p30 (or even 1080p24 for Extra Cinematic for those people with appropriate TVs). Use the extra performance for higher quality settings. :p

Call the whatever-p60 the "Game" mode synonymous with minimal lag.

ahem.

Again Dice should've optimized the SP to 1080p/30 for pure eye candy since most people only play it once or some never. So why the heck sacrificing the res just for a check box?

Let's all be frank here, most people except the hardcore shooters want their nextgen games look nextgen. You don't sell a new console for 60fps mate, you sell it for in your face graphical leap compared to your old console. I can 99% guarantee you BF4 on PS4/Xbone wont look too much different than PS360 versions graphically speaking, not counting the 64 players. People who upgraded to a bigger full hd TV would hurt the most, at 720p no matter how sharp your textures are, they would get totally compromised by the low res, so it's completely a waste. They say it's >720 but by how much? If it's even close to 1080p then Dice would mentioned it already so don't even hold your breath here.

GG is doing something extremely smart with KZSF in this regard. Satisfying the mass casual players for razor sharp 1080p graphics while at the same time catering for the framerate whores for competitive MP. Like I said earlier if it's not too late for Dice to change the plan then they really should get on with it! I'm sorry if my rant come up too aggressive but this is exactly how I feel about it.

Again Dice should've optimized the SP to 1080p/30 for pure eye candy since most people only play it once or some never. So why the heck sacrificing the res just for a check box?

Let's all be frank here, most people except the hardcore shooters want their nextgen games look nextgen. You don't sell a new console for 60fps mate, you sell it for in your face graphical leap compared to your old console. I can 99% guarantee you BF4 on PS4/Xbone wont look too much different than PS360 versions graphically speaking, not counting the 64 players. People who upgraded to a bigger full hd TV would hurt the most, at 720p no matter how sharp your textures are, they would get totally compromised by the low res, so it's completely a waste. They say it's >720 but by how much? If it's even close to 1080p then Dice would mentioned it already so don't even hold your breath here.

GG is doing something extremely smart with KZSF in this regard. Satisfying the mass casual players for razor sharp 1080p graphics while at the same time catering for the framerate whores for competitive MP. Like I said earlier if it's not too late for Dice to change the plan then they really should get on with it! I'm sorry if my rant come up too aggressive but this is exactly how I feel about it.

I pretty much agree, 60 for MP and 30 for SP seems best. I've been saying COD should do it for years.

BF really made up it's ground on COD (and became a very strong 2nd place) imo by emphasizing graphics with BF3 (COD itself originally sold on graphics with the original MW). What got BF3 off the ground was those jaw dropping early trailers. To see them lose that is imo a strategic blunder.

All that said I'm not at all convinced they will be barely over 720P. Maybe a halfway point to 1080P or better wont surprise me. Personally I can sell myself on that just because I can remind myself it's a marked improvement on current gen.

Heh, I've read your posts about buying a 65" TV. I currently have a lowly 42", but suddenly have been tempted by a 60". As you say, for next gen.

Heh, I've read your posts about buying a 65" TV. I currently have a lowly 42", but suddenly have been tempted by a 60". As you say, for next gen.

You wont regret it mate:), playing 1080p trailers of nextgen games on it would get you half way there already.

I, too , agree with the 30fps for SP and 60 for MP philosophy of GG. Having said that Iam perfectly fine with the fps of BF3 on my ps3 and don't mind playing a 30fps MP if it looks much better. Just don't let it drop below 30.

Back