Battlefield 4 official discussion/thread. [PS4,XO,PS3,X360]

Wow, what a bombshell

iwcKRwu.png

I'm inclined to disbelieve this pending further confirmation, but that's kind of shockingly disappointing if true.

I'm not dissapointed!

The silence from Dice all this time is your confirmation mate. But yes, very disappointing indeed.
If that's the resolution of the PS4 version I pray for the Xbox One's version to run at 720p even if they remove a few effects here and there. It's not that bad if you think about it.

I hope they can find perfect harmony between IQ and framerate. 60 fps is so desirable... Anyway, this is hUMArous indeed. :LOL:

720p I am fine with, but seeing lots of effects going on at a lesser resolution than that makes me kinda... I don't know. Not quite dizzy, but... Yeah.

It seems like the days of the Neo Geo and X360 are a thing of the past.

Another turn

JackFrags ‏@jackfrags 5m
To clarify: BF4 running at a higher resolution than 720p in the PS4 dev environment. Final resolution when the game is optimised at launch!

Much better, I could live with say 1280X1080, because at least thats a large improvement on last gen.

If they can hit near TV quality at 720p, I'd take that over 1080p with less realism. It all depends on what the compromises are. And one's TV and playing distance. ;)

Another turn

Much better, I could live with say 1280X1080, because at least thats a large improvement on last gen.
It's somewhat comforting but still disappointed it wont be full 1080p res. I wonder what's so taxing here though, the destruction and AI count are more CPU centric. Can it be they're holding back to match the Xbox One version?

Kind of disappointing. I guess this also applies to the single player part too. I'm chalking it up to launch software development challenges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Non-native res is always disappointing to me. But I can always learn to love the game for what it is, like with Dark Souls. That said, I wasn't planning on getting BF4 on console.

No. It wont look good on a big Full HD TV, certainly not my 65incher. Besides we're in 2013 and soon 2014, the standard must be risen to 1080p period.

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I was a hesitant on getting a huge TV, 60+ inches. Great for movies at 7-8ft viewing distance, but maybe a bit too revealing for games with lower IQ or non-native res.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. It wont look good on a big Full HD TV, certainly not my 65incher. Besides we're in 2013 and soon 2014, the standard must be risen to 1080p period.

There is always one bragging on how many inches they have ;)

Tepid impressions of PS4 ver from IGN

This week at Gamescom, however, I had an opportunity to play Battlefield 4 on a PlayStation 4 development system, and the resulting experience has me worried.

From the moment I sat down, I was surprisingly underwhelmed by the visuals. Instead of the crisp, detailed textures I've encountered this week on the PC version or other next-gen shooter titles, Battlefield 4 on PS4 looked soft and muddled. Wall textures looked half-finished, lacking some of the smaller material nuances or 3D variation. Environmental destruction was more extensive than Battlefield 3 and explosions would send larger chunks of buildings into the air, but once again, the particles looked dull. Weapon models looked great at the hip, but as soon as I raised them to look down the iron sights or scopes, imperfections became apparent.

Another contributing factor was resolution. While EA and DICE have not confirmed what resolution the game will run at on next-gen consoles, for the purposes of this demo, it was running at a resolution higher than 720p, but not 1080p. Though the difference between the two formats may not be recognizable to more casual players, after spending the week checking out games running natively at 1080p, it was readily apparent to me.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/23/gamescom-battlefield-4s-graphics-lacking-on-ps4

Why does the description of that PS4 devkit sounded so familiar? Yes that's right, reminded me of a typical PS3 port, blurry, dull and lacking. Dice really needs to get their shit together in the next 3 months.

I certainly hope you're not currently gaming on an Xbox360 or PS3 right now, because that too is skimping too much. Those must look absolutely horrible on your HDTV.

So the only real question left is Why do you then skimp on the gaming device connected to that 65" HD TV? You should obviously be gaming on a PC then. Anything less is a choice made by yourself to skimp.

Looks like they are optimising with priority on 60fps, where it used to be they fixed on target resolution first and then try to up the framerate. They tweeted this resolution is not necessarily final for PS4. We'll see.

Why does the description of that PS4 devkit sounded so familiar? Yes that's right, reminded me of a typical PS3 port, blurry, dull and lacking. Dice really needs to get their shit together in the next 3 months.

Yeah, get your shit together Dice! A forum warrior thinks you're lazy and have done a bad job with a game he hasn't played on the PS4, or even seen yet. It couldn't be that the games workload demands sacrifices in resolution to achieve 60Hz, even after being well optimized. You're on the clock, lazy devs.

Back