Pre-Order Info/Help - PS4/XO

Amazon is now sending emails out to customers who ordered the XBO Day One edition to let them know they're now eligible to get release date delivery. I'm also looking forward to a specific release date. Further, I would like to order an additional "Day One" controller to soothe the OCD in me, but from the looks of it extra controllers are just regular ones.

I remember seeing rumblings of a wireless charge station for the DS4. But I haven't found any solid info and nothing from Sony. The pictures of it in the display stand did look like a streamlined version of the current charge station but without any adapters mounted on the controller for charging.

Also, based on one of the Giant Bomb video podcasts (E3 Day 3, I believe), the PS4 stand is sold separately. Although I haven't' seen any retailer list it yet. I'm going to pull a number out of my ass and guess $30.

I took the plunge and pre-ordered an Xbox One with Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, Battlefield 4, Kinect Sports Rivals, and an extra controller. I'll download Killer Instinct on Day One as well.

I took the plunge and pre-ordered an Xbox One with Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, Battlefield 4, Kinect Sports Rivals, and an extra controller. I'll download Killer Instinct on Day One as well.

Physical discs? Interesting... I've decided to go all digital regardless of sharing policies, I hate discs that much (no instant swapping between games).

What is difficult for me is since I am getting both a PS4 and an Xbox One, I have no idea what system I will get 3rd party games on. Now that is a serious discussion. I don't instantly subscribe to the 50% more powerful GPU = PS4 wins! column since I have yet to see any real-world differences between games running on both platforms. And we sadly have to wait for DF to do analysis of several games before we get any kind of picture of what any potential performance differences mean. Also, a game is a game is a game. As long as it doesn't run horrendously, there's no reason to agonize over graphics since a decent PC will beat both!

If Microsoft was smart they would let you pre-order the digital games from the Games Marketplace before launch directly from the 360 dashboard. I know they allow you to pre-order the system from the dash, but I didn't think you could pre-order the games.

Tommy McClain

Physical discs? Interesting... I've decided to go all digital regardless of sharing policies, I hate discs that much (no instant swapping between games).

What is difficult for me is since I am getting both a PS4 and an Xbox One, I have no idea what system I will get 3rd party games on. Now that is a serious discussion. I don't instantly subscribe to the 50% more powerful GPU = PS4 wins! column since I have yet to see any real-world differences between games running on both platforms. And we sadly have to wait for DF to do analysis of several games before we get any kind of picture of what any potential performance differences mean. Also, a game is a game is a game. As long as it doesn't run horrendously, there's no reason to agonize over graphics since a decent PC will beat both!

I am in the same boat. Have both consoles preordered for day one. Haven't owned a Sony console since ps1. Been more interested in online twitch shooters for pc and xbox fps games. Nothing on ps2 ever caught my fance aside from the Socoms and a few others. Concerned about controller in fps. Concerned about a less active online community. But i missed out on way to many good looking ps3 exclusives this gen, would really like to be playing last of us right now :( .

If Microsoft was smart they would let you pre-order the digital games from the Games Marketplace before launch directly from the 360 dashboard. I know they allow you to pre-order the system from the dash, but I didn't think you could pre-order the games.

Tommy McClain

I have no doubt they are going to do everything in their power to push digital this generation. Both consoles will.

Concerned about a less active online community.
Sony seems interested in changing that by the emphasis on social networking within the game interface, and the inclusion of headsets as standard. Dunno if it's too late or not. The problem with a headset is you have to equip it. Kinect-style open speech would be more convenient and inviting.

No worries. The Playstation online community is vibrant. People often forget about the very active creator communities in LBP, Modnation Racer, and other games supporting user created content. PS Home made money despite widespread criticisms (Rooms are always crowded these days). The Souls series have a strong following. We love unique games.

While we didn't have standard mics, there are still strong clans in the shooters. I usually follow the GAF crowd. I turn off my mic since I play in the office sometimes. But I am rather active in PSN. Have a full friends list.

I don't want to buy them on disc, but my bandwidth cap is 50 GB per month and I use 30 GB through general usage, so that isn't going to leave much for game downloads. I was hoping to install from disc and not worry about needing the disc in the tray through MS' new system, but I guess I'm stuck with discs now.

I don't want to buy them on disc, but my bandwidth cap is 50 GB per month and I use 30 GB through general usage, so that isn't going to leave much for game downloads. I was hoping to install from disc and not worry about needing the disc in the tray through MS' new system, but I guess I'm stuck with discs now.

Find someone with the disc, install the game, then purchase the license digitally.

Interesting....

What I'm actually looking at right now is a new ISP that has a 300GB limit so that I might be able to go disc less after all.

It's a placeholder date.

I'm really struggling with the decision of whether or not to go digital-only this generation so that I don't have to swap discs anymore. If I do, I won't be able to lend games (which I don't do much of) or sell them back to stores (which I really don't do at all). It's hard to wholeheartedly embrace the future some times. :)

What is everyone's experience with older "bargain bin" games and digital content? Is there a history of still getting deals on older games when you are downloading?

It's a placeholder date.

I'm really struggling with the decision of whether or not to go digital-only this generation so that I don't have to swap discs anymore. If I do, I won't be able to lend games (which I don't do much of) or sell them back to stores (which I really don't do at all). It's hard to wholeheartedly embrace the future some times. :)

What is everyone's experience with older "bargain bin" games and digital content? Is there a history of still getting deals on older games when you are downloading?

If I do keep my xbox one preorder I will most likely go physical for the launch games (so I have something to play plus some have day one stuff that may not be avalible on the dd) and then digital for everything after.

If I do keep my xbox one preorder I will most likely go physical for the launch games (so I have something to play plus some have day one stuff that may not be avalible on the dd) and then digital for everything after.

All games will be available digitally. I haven't pre-ordered any games for that reason though we have no idea if the servers will survive everyone trying to download their day one patch plus digital games at once. I really hope they have a robust CDN ready to go.

It's a placeholder date.

For the Xbox, for me the bottleneck would be whether or not the harddrive is user upgradeable. Though if you get a 1TB version, that's probably enough to comfortably hold most of your games, and only rarely having to delete / redownload one. And I've heard here and there that the Xbox One supports running games from an external harddrive, which if that can be any HDD you buy (rather than limited to an Xbox branded one), should pretty much solve that issue.

For the Xbox, for me the bottleneck would be whether or not the harddrive is user upgradeable. Though if you get a 1TB version, that's probably enough to comfortably hold most of your games, and only rarely having to delete / redownload one. And I've heard here and there that the Xbox One supports running games from an external harddrive, which if that can be any HDD you buy (rather than limited to an Xbox branded one), should pretty much solve that issue.

I think it was already confirmed that the HDD on XBone wont be user upgradeable

I think it was already confirmed that the HDD on XBone wont be user upgradeable

I know but I did hear you could use external drives for running games from, similar to how you can do it on the 360 now (but unfortunately are limited to 16GB, or at least were last time I tried).

Back