Sony Playstation E3 2013 Events

I totally agree, an apple TV (for example) can do the same thing digitally. And if I want DVR, media sharing and television what does the Xbox offer that say a Direct TV genie system and the like? Ill still have to daisy chain off the X1 anyway.

And the huge hurdle the X1 has against it is Branding identity. Being a gaming brand for 2 generations and now selling it as an expensive cable-box addon? That doesn't make much sense to an non gamer looking for TV/Movies when the competition is much cheaper.

X1 reeks of mismanagement.

Except Apple wants to eventually conquer the TV space also and not with Apple TV. MS didnt pull XB1's TV integration out of its a$$. There are more manfacturers trying to tackle the TV space than the console space. We talking pretty significant tech players including MS, Google and Apple. And all want to offer an intergrated experience.

Saying MS is providing a solution no one wants makes no sense because there would no motivation for big players to enter the space. Consoles are small marbles compared to the TV space. And everyone knows that no one has presented a compelling unified experience for consumers yet. It makes no sense that most TVs are less functional than an ipod touch yet represent one of the most costly investment people make on entertainment devices.

Yeah people dont want a $500 dollar console but $1000+ big screen TVs gets sold all the time.

MS's implementation may be off but its attempt is not.

I get a kick out of everyone saying Sony will go bankrupt with the PS4 at 399.:LOL:

I mean really? Do you have insider stuff on how much all the parts put together cost?

The next gen between Sony and MS starts off on equal footing. This isn't a head start by MS anymore where it could establish a 6.5 million user base over Sony's zero user base and it doesn't have the price advantage either. The PS4 is also much easier to work with then the PS3 ever could. Those were the biggest reasons why the PS3 got off to such a slow start and the reason why the 360 was so successful early on. Those advantages are pretty much gone as they start off at the same time.

The real question how is Sony managing $399 with gddr5 and a better gpu? If its not being sold at a loss then the ps4 is a marvel! There is no way that xb one plus Kinect can be worth 100 currency units more than ps4. If the base consoles were specced the same + Kinect I might believe it...

The chips are more powerful but is also smaller. Sony rolled the dice on 4gb gddr5 chips. It paid off. Plus no pack in kinect.

I get a kick out of everyone saying Sony will go bankrupt with the PS4 at 399.:LOL:

I mean really? Do you have insider stuff on how much all the parts put together cost?

The next gen between Sony and MS starts off on equal footing. This isn't a head start by MS anymore where it could establish a 6.5 million user base over Sony's zero user base and it doesn't have the price advantage either. The PS4 is also much easier to work with then the PS3 ever could. Those were the biggest reasons why the PS3 got off to such a slow start and the reason why the 360 was so successful early on. Those advantages are pretty much gone as they start off at the same time.

Sony isn't exactly setting the world on fire with its financials

http://www.ssuchronicle.com/2013/06/08/sony-posts-first-annual-profit-of-the-decade-nyse-sne/

For the first time in five years, Sony was able to post an annual profit. Sony reported a net profit of 43 billion yen, or $435 million, in the financial year that ended March 31, compared with a loss of 456.7 yen billion ($4.6 billion) a year earlier.

ps4 selling at a loss can really hurt them esp if anything goes wrong with other parts of sony i.e the android phones sell bad or tvs takes another hit

This is not a versus thread. Please take the business approach versus or technical versus topics to the appropriate threads.

It also seems Ubi demoed Division on the PS4? If this is the case why wasn't this shown during Sony's event? Is that what some of the rumors floating around about MS paying to have stuff not shown?

It also seems Ubi demoed Division on the PS4? If this is the case why wasn't this shown during Sony's event? Is that what some of the rumors floating around about MS paying to have stuff not shown?
Ubi probably just wanted to show it off in their event. They did say that it was running on the PS4. They allowed Sony to demo Watch Dogs in their event.

Yes they demoed it on the PS4 (we saw the PS4 controller).
Watching the Sony conference, they probably don't have the time to squeeze it in, and as it was demoed on Ubisoft, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to do it again.

So many questions left unanswered at this conference.
What about the UI?
Would it allow cross game chat?
What about Skype?
What about running multiple apps simultaneously?
Nothing about the controller's unique features
Will the camera be packed in?
What uses are they planning for the camera?
What are the camera's capabilities?
Can the harddrive be swapped?
What other integrations have they though of between Vita/Tablet/Smartphone and PS4?

Regarding the game revelations I am disappointed. Have they announced more exclusives besides Santa Monica's new IP? Was any of teh FF games exclusive btw? I dont remember
Not many new games were shown
Nothing new and exciting was particularly shown from the games we already saw in Feb
Watch Dogs looked downgraded
Assasicns Creed looked like PS3.5
Bungie's game looked just ok.
I didnt see anything particularly exciting in terms of gameplay
If MS didnt screw up with the price and DRM requirements Sony's conference would have been a trainwreck. There would have been nothing better to show.
And this conference was ugly executed and amateurish compared to previous conferences. MS's conference for the first time at E3 looked better than Sony's even though it was also crappy

I have a bad feeling about these omissions and absences from Sony's conference

More powerful hardware at a cheaper price, Sony has done a good job. For those that want Kinect, get a Xbox, but I dont know many gamers that could care less about it Kinect tbh.

There should be interesting apps for PSEye me think. But not the priority or perhaps not ready for show yet.

It looks like cloud gaming, social networks and digital distribution are the strategic focii at this point.

I think it would be interesting to have a PSEye bundle, but I am sure Sony is concentrating on 1st party games. There'll be a lot in development we haven't even seen yet, and that's where we'll see the graphical differences play out like we did with the PS3.

Mesh wasn't Watch Dogs originally shown on a uber high end PC? That could be possible reason the appearance of a down grade??

Ubi probably just wanted to show it off in their event. They did say that it was running on the PS4. They allowed Sony to demo Watch Dogs in their event.

More likely is that they wanted to show some variety in the games being shown.

Watch dogs and division are very samey to look at in that they are both good looking open world games.

Having a second SKU for a PS4+PSEye bundle could complicate distribution however, with a need to match the stock split between the SKUs to the likely demand for each, particularly since they are undertaking a large-scale multi-regional launch.

If they had launched say a $450 bundle with a PSEye then another downside would have been pundits choosing to compare that to the Xbox One (justifying it through the $400 PS4 not being the 'complete experience'), which wouldn't have had the punch of today's '$100 cheaper' headlines.

Other options still available to encourage PSEye uptake could be an in-store discount if the PS4+PSEye+second controller are purchased together, or offering an online redemption code for another game with such a purchase.

Having a second SKU for a PS4+PSEye bundle could complicate distribution however, with a need to match the stock split between the SKUs to the likely demand for each, particularly since they are undertaking a large-scale multi-regional launch.

If they had launched say a $450 bundle with a PSEye then another downside would have been pundits choosing to compare that to the Xbox One (justifying it through the $400 PS4 not being the 'complete experience'), which wouldn't have had the punch of today's '$100 cheaper' headlines.

Other options still available to encourage PSEye uptake could be an in-store discount if the PS4+PSEye+second controller are purchased together, or offering an online redemption code for another game with such a purchase.

That's true. $100 or 100 Euros is a big deal, and sounds great from a marketing point of view. The bad publicity around Xbone is reminiscent of the PS3.

Rumor is... people saying the delay was Sony re-writing their price slide was correct...

they made the change today after MS show, allegedly

They will bundle it with the first game that needs it for the price of the game so I'm not at all fussed about it. If something compels me to get it then I'll pick it up.

Back