Sony Playstation E3 2013 Events

Sony obviously ditched the eye near the last minute, otherwise they wouldn't have invested so much tech into the controller to work with the PSeye. I wish Sony would have showed 2 SKU's as was hinted earlier (that they would have 3).

There was talk about MS doing some Live subsidy, I think Playstation might be in the best spot currently to do it. Offer the PS4 with PSeye for 399 with 2 year subscription of PS+. In essence they would pay the same as Xbox-One (without Live fees) and it might help get more Eye hardware out there.

I'm surprised people are not bringing up the huge impact the difference between Sony and MS DRM policies. It is HUGE not just because of what that means for consumers..but exposure. Think about it for a second. If someone who knew nothing about these two systems went into a Gamestop and saw 2x the PS4 content compared to the Xbox One it's going to make them ask "Why"? Second if someone takes a stroll through the local video rental store Xbox - One will not exist; it will literally not exist. They will see, Wii, WiiU, PS3, 360, PS4.

Other gaming industries will also look lopsided, Goozex and Gamefly for instance will not have Xbox One content (at least 100% for Gamefly) Say what you will about the DRM limitations for individual consumers but the exposure (or lack thereof) for XB-One content is going to be extremely negative.

People are moving towards digital downloads. This issue is overblown.

I for one would have paid the extra $50 for a PS Eye. If it's not standard, there won't be much content for it. A lot of people on this forum don't like motion games, but they are the best types of games at parties, especially those with women who like to move.:D

I think price will be a much bigger factor than used games. A couple years from now, people are going to be direct downloading like crazy. I prefer the PS4 model for used games, and I expect most casual type gamers would too. Right now it's just the hardcore PC guys that download a ton of games. Won't stay that way. Question is how long.

I think price will be a much bigger factor than used games. A couple years from now, people are going to be direct downloading like crazy. I prefer the PS4 model for used games, and I expect most casual type gamers would too. Right now it's just the hardcore PC guys that download a ton of games. Won't stay that way. Question is how long.

I'm wondering if we might see games a little cheaper on XB1 versus PS4 due to the DRM issue....

I think the price is the big deal, but it won't have an a impact until supply constraints ease up. The question is, is that 3 months or 6 months?
Consumers will also have first hand experience of features like kinect at that point, and it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

yea what if this was all a big PR statement and the details to come are more restrictive and up to pubs as originally stated?

And like the PS3 and Vita, the PS4 has DD games. People are more worried about their discs, which up until now were not DD, MS is blurring the line and have sided against the consumer. Too much, too soon.

Though I agree that rich media access is a feature point, I don't see it as a selling point. Tv's can do that without any help. All ms has done is make a solution to a problem that nobody had to start with. It just smacks of desperation to try and make out that a games console needs to do anymore than it does already.

I totally agree, an apple TV (for example) can do the same thing digitally. And if I want DVR, media sharing and television what does the Xbox offer that say a Direct TV genie system and the like? Ill still have to daisy chain off the X1 anyway.

And the huge hurdle the X1 has against it is Branding identity. Being a gaming brand for 2 generations and now selling it as an expensive cable-box addon? That doesn't make much sense to an non gamer looking for TV/Movies when the competition is much cheaper.

X1 reeks of mismanagement.

I think the price is the big deal, but it won't have an a impact until supply constraints ease up. The question is, is that 3 months or 6 months?
Consumers will also have first hand experience of features like kinect at that point, and it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

That is exactly correct. $100, pound or euro difference is psychologically insurmountable... two years of xblg with each xb1 purchase might be the best giveaway to counter this as its worth $120, and basically gives you everything the console has to offer.

This is flat out wrong, I think. Consoles are used at least half the time for streaming video now. As more and more people switch to streaming services like Netflix, HBO Go, Amazon Prime, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Sky's shit, Channel 4's streaming etc etc etc, there will be a huge market for making that experience better. The market for hardcore game consoles will shrink. The economics of that business don't make any sense. Sony wants to sell movies and music and television because it's the only way they can have a profitable business.

Maybe current console users of these services in the USA still don't care about their power costs but it's only a matter of time until they notice their next Smart-TV/Bluray-Player or low power streaming device does the same job cheaper.
All these media usage at first competes against people's normal passive TV time. Only because some group used their console instead of their cable/sat/dvd player proves nothing about these people's game consumption.

One more good reason to include the PS4Eye..,

But I wouldn't underestimate the effect of spy camera, net, used games, always on (not green friendly), I will not touch it being so unfriendly to damn offensive to my person as it is, and I have a (mostly but hardly always) stable net, like the kinetic for games, and used games are not that easy around here (although lending is easier).

Maybe current console users of these services in the USA still don't care about their power costs but it's only a matter of time until they notice their next Smart-TV/Bluray-Player or low power streaming device does the same job cheaper.
All these media usage at first competes against people's normal passive TV time. Only because some group used their console instead of their cable/sat/dvd player proves nothing about these people's game consumption.

cause my 360 uses the same power streaming movies as it does playing games right ?

Lets not forget that these new systems will be made for low power states while streaming video like Netflix and other stuff just like the little limited boxes like apple tv.

That is exactly correct. $100, pound or euro difference is psychologically insurmountable... two years of xblg with each xb1 purchase might be the best giveaway to counter this as its worth $120, and basically gives you everything the console has to offer.

Price is certainly noteworthy. But isn't the be-all end-all.

For example, how many people ponied up extra money for a "Smart TV" versus one that wasn't? Evidently enough that the majority of HDTV's include some amount of "Smart TV" functionality now. This despite non-"Smart TVs" being quite a bit cheaper.

People will pay more if they feel they are getting something of value for that extra money.

Sure you could get a PS4 and an Apple TV for the same price as an Xbox One. Only then you don't have gesture controls, you don't have voice controls, you don't have seemless integration with games, etc. And you now have to mess around with 2 devices instead of 1.

Whether that plays out in Microsoft's favor or not? Hard to say. But kinect functionality certainly resonates with the mainstream. My Aunt who doesn't game, doesn't want to game, has never wanted to game, was interested in buying an X360 with Kinect.

I know a few families that initially didn't buy an X360 for games, they got it for Netflix streaming (this was before PS3 also got that functionality). They never bought a single game, until Kinect came out.

All anecdotal, sure. But the fact is almost the entire internet except for mainstream sites said the Kinect would fail and fail hard were completely wrong. And we're basically hearing the exact same thing with this generation. The mainstream media like it (just like Kinect) while the small percentage of internet forumers don't. :p

Regards,
SB

Not bitter, I just find it amusing that on the one hand some people cheer on Gaikai while on the other hand complain that they can't maintain an internet connection for 24 hours at a time sometimes. :D

Regards,
SB

Simple Gaikai is optional 24 hour check ups are mandatory,if you don't connect your system every 24 hours it will stop working.

If i don't subscribe Gaikai nothing happen my PS4 still works.

Back