Sony Playstation E3 2013 Events

Didn't expect that. Kingdom Hearts 3 not exclusive either I presume, or even the 1.5 HD remake (man the XIII VS to XV, KH 3.0 and 1.5 stuff tested my tired brain needlesssly ;) )

What did really surprise me however was to see that XV gameplay looked very cool. Best I've seen a Final Fantasy game look as a total package almost ever.

I don't see that confirmed anywhere? In fact i don't even see it mentioned anywhere.

Some of us are already subscribed to PS+ (About $4+/month)
With MP makes it $5/month.

I suspect Gaikai may have added fees though.

I subscribed to PS+ in April and because of various promotions got it cheaper than normal and got an extra 3 months which will last me well into the PS4's life. It's awesome. It even got me using my PS3 a little.

If you'd ever made a statement along the lines of, "I'll never buy a system that charges for online multiplayer" you'd have a real credibility problem if you were to buy a PS4.

I would be very surprised to see PS4 Eye get any sort of mass adoption considering it's not guaranteed to be on every system.

I'd prefer a $449 - $459 price range instead if it means wide-scale PS4 Eye adoption in every single game. :(

Me too.

Price was definitely the big announce for Sony tonight. Price is huge. It'll be interesting to see how the competition responds over the year following release. I expect both consoles to essentially sell out their stock for most of the first year. $100 is a big price difference. I don't think dropping Eye is a huge loss for them. I don't think it was a big reason they sold systems.

MS still has some wiggle room. if you pre order you get the limited day one edition.

I could see them because of this switch gears and maybe add a few months of free live to the day one edition and create a non day one edition with maybe a smaller hardrive and price it at $400.

Will be interesting to see.

We really should have a separate pricing thread seeing as they are different. If they were the same, it would be a non-issue. It's cluttering up the conference thread.

As for the Sony's conference, they didn't have as many exclusives as MS and even MS didn't have many. It seems like neither was ready for a 2013 release in terms of software. I'm wondering how big their launch lineups will be.

Sony's conference was awful. Light on details, light on reveals, light on exclusives. It was boring as hell, and incredibly poorly presented. Like I said earlier, "$399, no restrictions on used games" and then throw down the microphone and walk off the stage. Oh, the Indie games part was really good.

it is a bit funny "omg 399, Sony just won the war forever!!!"

And now those people gonna pay an extra 250 or something in online fees this gen :LOL:

But hey, MS been doing it for years. And too greedy to subsidize the hardware with that money.

Lets see if Microsoft offers free games along with the GOLD member ship.
Lets see if Microsoft lets Netflix etc of the Paywall hook.

Even with the "paid" service, Sony is outgunning them, at least from what we know.

Slam dunk on every point so far.

I would be very surprised to see PS4 Eye get any sort of mass adoption considering it's not guaranteed to be on every system.

I'd prefer a $449 - $459 price range instead if it means wide-scale PS4 Eye adoption in every single game. :(

I was expecting $450 with Eye as a pack-in. Not sure why they thought $400 without Eye was the better route. I guess they just really want to go for the throat, but in the first year you're usually supply limited, so you think they could sell out at $450 regardless and just drop the price the next year. Maybe they're expecting to ship at a much greater volume in the first year than they ever have.

Games are not enough anymore...

Though I agree that rich media access is a feature point, I don't see it as a selling point. Tv's can do that without any help. All ms has done is make a solution to a problem that nobody had to start with. It just smacks of desperation to try and make out that a games console needs to do anymore than it does already.

So is that why steam failed ? Cause you shouldn't need to have internet access to play a game you bought on a disc ?

These arguments make no sense at all.

It will be interesting to see the advantages devs give to ms because of this .

We've already seen the announcement of both COD exclusive DLC and BF4 exclusive DLC .

I wonder if MS will end up getting a lot of DLC and content by virtue of the DRM on the system

You know all the arguments for and against steam, i made a few of those as well.

It's going to be interesting to see what Publishers think of a console outselling the DRM locked one.

Though I agree that rich media access is a feature point, I don't see it as a selling point. Tv's can do that without any help. All ms has done is make a solution to a problem that nobody had to start with. It just smacks of desperation to try and make out that a games console needs to do anymore than it does already.

This is flat out wrong, I think. Consoles are used at least half the time for streaming video now. As more and more people switch to streaming services like Netflix, HBO Go, Amazon Prime, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Sky's shit, Channel 4's streaming etc etc etc, there will be a huge market for making that experience better. The market for hardcore game consoles will shrink. The economics of that business don't make any sense. Sony wants to sell movies and music and television because it's the only way they can have a profitable business.

That said, for feature comparison relative to the competition, lacking some features may not be a big deal when you're $100 cheaper.

Sony obviously ditched the eye near the last minute, otherwise they wouldn't have invested so much tech into the controller to work with the PSeye. I wish Sony would have showed 2 SKU's as was hinted earlier (that they would have 3).

There was talk about MS doing some Live subsidy, I think Playstation might be in the best spot currently to do it. Offer the PS4 with PSeye for 399 with 2 year subscription of PS+. In essence they would pay the same as Xbox-One (without Live fees) and it might help get more Eye hardware out there.

I'm surprised people are not bringing up the huge impact the difference between Sony and MS DRM policies. It is HUGE not just because of what that means for consumers..but exposure. Think about it for a second. If someone who knew nothing about these two systems went into a Gamestop and saw 2x the PS4 content compared to the Xbox One it's going to make them ask "Why"? Second if someone takes a stroll through the local video rental store Xbox - One will not exist; it will literally not exist. They will see, Wii, WiiU, PS3, 360, PS4.

Other gaming industries will also look lopsided, Goozex and Gamefly for instance will not have Xbox One content (at least 100% for Gamefly) Say what you will about the DRM limitations for individual consumers but the exposure (or lack thereof) for XB-One content is going to be extremely negative.

Back