I just got a microwave. I read up on dangers of microwaved

Re: I just got a microwave. I read up on dangers of microwav

K.I.L.E.R said:
...food and now I wander if I should touch microwaved foods

http://www.lyghtforce.com/HomeoList/00001864.htm

Is this true?

Someone care to educate the ignorant? :)
Look, I didnt read the article. But can tell you this. I have microwaved a significant amount of my food for at least the last 10-15 years. Im almost every home in the US has a microwave, which is used alot.

So join the masses and eat your microwaved food. ;)

later,
epic

That article is one of the most egregious examples of know-nothing pseudosceince I've ever read. (Well, ok, I couldn't force myself to read more than the first few paragraphs.) For those who can stomach even less, the operating conceit is to first lead with shocking evidence that microwaving food can actually change its chemical structure!!, and to conclude that therefore there is absolutely no way to know whether it's safe or not. The notion that perhaps food chemists were aware of this fact already--even the notion that food chemistry exists--is completely alien to this philosophy of proud ignorance.

Microwaving food is perfectly 100% safe. And for god's sake, of course it changes the chemical structure of food--that's what cooking is.

Having said that, microwaved food--by which I mean packaged food intended to be cooked in the microwave--doesn't tend to be very good for you. Most of it is leached of its nutrients through mass production processes that place cost-effectiveness above all else, and try to make up for it by simulating flavor through the judicious addition of salt and the creepy magic of "flavorings": "natural" or artificial, they're the exact same thing: pure chemicals mixed in giant labs in New Jersey and added in parts-per-million quantities to make cheap food taste like what it tastes like. Strange but true: were it not for those flavorings that are added in such trace quantities that they're almost always listed 51st of 51 ingredients in your TV dinner, that TV dinner would quite literally taste like hot cardboard.

All of this is a bit disconcerting to a lot of people. Then again, being removed from the actual production of food as almost all of us are, most people would find it disconcerting to follow almost anything they eat from the farm/nature/plant to their mouths--much less traditional natural foods like sausage, much less foie gras. The problem isn't so much that it's disconcerting, but rather that it's low in nutritional value: much of the good stuff is processed out, and doesn't get added back in along with the salt and flavoring.

On the other hand, there's nothing about processed/microwaved food that is actively bad for you, unless you're among the minority for whom high salt intake can lead to high blood pressure. (And it tends to be higher in trans-fats than more natural foods; more bad on the heart disease front.) It's really just that it's low in stuff that's actively good for you.

In other words, there's nothing in microwaved food that will, say, give you cancer--not even trace quantities of some chemical shown to elevate cancer levels in mice given billions of times the concentrations. On the other hand, eating a spinach salad instead will significantly reduce your risk of cancer.

And, sad but true, eating a lower calorie diet in general will simply make you live longer--metabolism is apparently closely linked to if not the primary factor in cell aging.

Bottom line, what you eat has a huge amount to do with how healthy you are. But microwaves are no more and no less dangerous than the food that gets put in them.

(Ok, so microwave cooking can tend to destroy more nutrients than other methods of cooking. On the other hand, the char you get when you burn something on the grill is an active carcinogen. Point is, if something seems healthy--as in it tastes that way and you feel good after you eat it, not as in it comes in a green cardboard box--it probably is.)

(Final tip: you'd be shocked and amazed how many fine restaurants have microwaves hidden in the back. Well, scratch that--the answer is essentially all of them. You'd be shocked and amazed how often they get used.)

Um... the title of that page is "Homeopathy Mail List". There should be little need to read any more of the text!

But I did anyway, and just a few lines down we stumble on the evil science community conspiracy theory again. After that I really couldn't be bothered to read any further.

Nice that you debunk one pseudoscience by substituting another. So "Natural" == "Tastes good" and "synethtic" = "tastes bad, were it not that they synthetically made it taste good"? What is French cooking, if not the art of making shit, even organic "natural shit" taste good with liberal doses of spices and sauces. I remember similar commentary when we were talking about Italian pizza, that somehow the "freshness" of the vegetables was supposed to make it more nutricious or taste better. After spending 16 days in Italy a month ago, and eating pizza practically everyday, I wasn't quite blown away by the "natural == tastes better" philosophy. Humans can't even consume many "natural" plants without processing them. Care to eat raw potatoes, rice, or wheat?

To top it off, the whole idea of that we need alot of extra vitamins and nutrients from our food as in doubt. People are obsessed over nutrients and vitamins, such that they demand fortified food and megadose on supplements, but the AMA has shown through various studies that it doesn't do jack, and may even do harm (with respect to fat-soluble nutrients and vitamins) One study I read recently debunked the whole myth that vitamin D needs to be fortified at all. Even one hour of sunlight anywhere on your body (say, leaning your arm out the window as you drive) was found to generate enough vitamin day to reach the daily allowance. And westerners typically get an overabundance of their daily needs, so worries about "leaching" from processing,cooking, preserving, or whatever are just a step ahead of legends about microwaves poisoning you.

Not to bash you, since you seem like a rational oriented person, but you do seem to have some naturalist beliefs about food which I think you need to be more skeptical about.

horvendile said:
Um... the title of that page is "Homeopathy Mail List".
Hmm "Homeopathy". Now there is something that IS a lot of rubbish. There are sufficient scientific studies that show there is no benefit whatsoever. (The researchers of the flawed "memory of water" paper were later shown to have biased their results).

If homeopathy did work, a quick swim in the ocean should cure anyone of anything. :p

Xmas said:
Hey, I like raw potatoes! ;-)
Including the green bits? ;-)

DemoCoder, while I find myself in agreement with the majority of your post, there is one area where our diets may in fact be deficient. That would be the area of mineral deficiency in the form of trace elements like copper, zinc, chromium etc. Most likely a result of our washing the soil from our foods prior to eating.

nelg said:
DemoCoder, while I find myself in agreement with the majority of your post, there is one area where our diets may in fact be deficient. That would be the area of mineral deficiency in the form of trace elements like copper, zinc, chromium etc. Most likely a result of our washing the soil from our foods prior to eating.
It also leads to a deficiency of things like toxoplasmosis. I can live without that :)

K.I.L.E.R , microwaves work by the principle of creating a magnetic field. This causes molecules with polarity ( water molecules have a strong magnetic polarity) to attempt to align themselves with the field. This excites them and creates heat. Just think if you could create a static magnetic field and prevent molecules from hitting one another you could instantly freeze foods. ;)

Simon F said:
It also leads to a deficiency of things like toxoplasmosis. I can live without that :)

From the CDC..........
How can I get toxoplasmosis?Through accidental ingestion of contaminated cat feces. This can occur if you accidentally touch your hands to your mouth after gardening, cleaning a cat’s litter box, or touching anything that has come into contact with cat feces.
Through ingestion of raw or partly cooked meat, especially pork, lamb, or venison, or by touching your hands to your mouth after handling undercooked meat.
Through contamination of knives, utensils, cutting boards and other foods that have had contact with raw meat.
Through drinking water contaminated with Toxoplasma.
Although extremely rare, by receiving an infected organ transplant or blood transfusion.

Why are you growing your veggies in the litter box Simon? ;)

apart from the REAL danger of burning yourself when taking piping hot food out of the microwave oven itself, all MWs do is accellerating the water particles in food, therefore heating the whole thing....

to be honest i tend to use traditional ovens since i like the taste better, but there would not be millions and millions of microwaves if they were dangerous...

got a convection/grille/microwave in my house which is very useful for cooking anything in :).

as for that article I got as far as the blood one before it got too bad to read, if theres any thruth in that particular one its likely that she under estimated the cooking power of a microwave and actually cooked some of the blood. Sounds like those storys of people who put their pet hampster/cat/dog/elephant in the microwave to dry off :rolleyes: :LOL:

I have too. It is an extreme, but microwaving "food" can be hazardous.

Go nuke some diet coke and then drink it.

nelg said:
Why are you growing your veggies in the litter box Simon? ;)
It just happened to be the first disease I could think of that lurks in dirt. Other animals can carry it but I guess most people are more likely to be around cats. <shrug>

Back