TitanFall [XO,X360]

I had a bad few rounds, I admit FPS other than single-player is not my thing. But tonight I was that person who was last each round. Granted I was playing with different weapons and loadouts, but still I really sucked.

Tried to play a sniper, but could never get in the spots I wanted before being taken out.

Tried playing shotgun, but someone was always behind me no matter what direction I was spinning.

I did hack a bunch of spectre's and let them follow me around, but then a Titan stepped on them.

I did kill tons of AI, so at least I have that pride... Maybe I am getting old, or I just suck - or both.

As much as they said they tried to make the game inviting for people who are not good at shooters, it doesn't seem true at all. It's fast, it's very twitch and there's a lot to learn about using titans effectively, and how to combat then when you're on foot.

I had a bad few rounds, I admit FPS other than single-player is not my thing. But tonight I was that person who was last each round. Granted I was playing with different weapons and loadouts, but still I really sucked.

Tried to play a sniper, but could never get in the spots I wanted before being taken out.

Tried playing shotgun, but someone was always behind me no matter what direction I was spinning.

I did hack a bunch of spectre's and let them follow me around, but then a Titan stepped on them.

I did kill tons of AI, so at least I have that pride... Maybe I am getting old, or I just suck - or both.

Turn on the autorun in the options menu. You should really never not be running and sprint is unlimited so having to click the stick is just a chore. Try the minion tracker kit so you can keep track of where the action is on the minimap. Try the smart pistol, but getting locks on pilots is hard so don't be afraid to just aim down the sights. Play hardpoint and concentrate on defense and you'll rack up attrition points while enemy pilots come to you.

I had a lot of luck with the above even though I'm not a very skilled shootist and I was playing on PC with a controller. Still, if you end up playing against a full team of max leveled friends against your team of randoms they will probably wreck your shit.

I think it's more that you can have measures of success while not being good at shooters. You can still get some points by killing the easy bots, and you have a chance to escape after you lose a round.

AI's role explaqined:
“In general, they’re there not only to help newer players feel like they’re accomplishing something and getting a bunch of kills, but they also provide the sort’ve humorous element to the world. They will talk to each other, they will melee each other, they will drag their buddies behind cover. They will be like ‘oh, there’s a Pilot coming through.’ ‘I don’t see what the big deal about Pilots is anyway.’ So you should eavesdrop on them, because it’s kind of funny.”

“But they’re human, and they don’t move like Pilots do, and you’re very much more powerful than they are, and they do make the world feel really alive. There’s some more high-level tactics: for example, if I’m going into a hardpoint, sometimes I’ll let the AI rush in first. I’ll wait for the guy who’s upstairs waiting there to hit them, see where he’s at and take him out myself because he thinks I’m one of the dudes running up. So they can be used to your advantage, even if you’re a stronger player.

Respawn continue by detailing the different types of AI in the game and their roles within a match:

“You have the Marvins, they are like the handyman of the universe. They’re not worth killing. They’re kind of sweet, and you’re kind of a jerk if you sit around shooting them. They’re there for some flavor.”

“Then you have Grunts. Grunts are your sort’ve standard military cohorts. You’ll see them rappelling in from helicopters, and they’ll assist you on the battlefield. They’re rushing into points. They follow the flow of battles. They can also help you find where there are enemy soldiers and enemy Titans. They’re not very dangerous – maybe if you had lost a lot damage and one of them hit you, yeah they could kill you.”

“Then there’s Spectres. Spectres are much tougher, much more dangerous. You can hack them to turn them to your side with the Data Knife. They’re way more powerful, way more deadly, and they also move differently. They can jump up multiple stories. So sometimes you’ll catch one out of the corner of your eye, you’ll think it’s a Pilot. They’re way more mobile and scarier.”

“The fourth AI is the Titan. When you’re not in the Titan, you can have it follow you around the map, you can guard where you are and it will fight other Titans for you. It will grunts for you, it will take out Pilots for you, and it’s really satisfying when you’re doing your own thing on the map, and you’re racking up kills because your Titan is doing really well.”

BTW, the XBone beta is open for all now. No reason not to try it if you own a Xbne.

Got the PC beta, This is a great game, it has all the components of a good shooter. Thankfully it's faster and more frantic than most modern shooters, it seems I can actually straffe :)

As for the graphics, Ehmm seems a tad unimpressive.

Gfx are best left not talked about. My jaw totally dropped when the game threw me in to the tutorial stage: My first thought was Quake 4 ! THe actual maps are much better, yes, but that training stage was god awful. Nothing you can call next-gen though.

What are they using that much data for I wonder?

The actual game is 15GB I believe (download size). Maybe they have a 40GB disclaimer in expectance of DLC or something.

I do think the gfx while fairly unimpressive, are being lampooned a bit too much. I remember it was shown at E3 and I definitely thought at the time "next gen", and I know there wasn't any outcry against the graphics then. I think it's just a case of next gen has moved on and we've got used to a higher standard in the meanwhile. Anyways also I'm impressed with the first person gun models, at least (I think this pic is high settings PC, but this gun model
is gawjous. The other somewhat impressive area is the mechs and their detail and animation.

The game does just have an ugly, colorless, harsh look to the environments regardless of technical prowess, maybe Respawn could have done something about that if there's any blame to be laid, even remembering they are a small outfit.

Will be interesting to see the 360 version, unlike some others I expect significant graphical cutbacks.

Good to see a few places - Eurogamer, IGN - are holding off a full review until they've played the game on public servers. Definitely a sensible policy for online-only games.

Good to see a few places - Eurogamer, IGN - are holding off a full review until they've played the game on public servers. Definitely a sensible policy for online-only games.

I'm surprised. Typically popular multi-player and MMO games are a mess for weeks, but review events or review only servers give them the cover for generous scores. How long did it take BF4 to become stable? Well I guess that is 64 players and this is 12, so it might be apples and oranges.

I'm surprised. Typically popular multi-player and MMO games are a mess for weeks, but review events or review only servers give them the cover for generous scores. How long did it take BF4 to become stable? Well I guess that is 64 players and this is 12, so it might be apples and oranges.

Battlefield took about a month and a half to become stable, for me. The launch week was actually great though. It was the week after that it went to hell.

I'm surprised. Typically popular multi-player and MMO games are a mess for weeks, but review events or review only servers give them the cover for generous scores. How long did it take BF4 to become stable?.
Well BF4 has a single player campaign but I do like this change. If you are buying a game for multiplayer and the experience is bad, wouldn't you want to know that in the review?

Well BF4 has a single player campaign but I do like this change. If you are buying a game for multiplayer and the experience is bad, wouldn't you want to know that in the review?

Of course, but I don't trust gaming "journalist", lazy, easily manipulated, man children in bed with the same companies they are supposed to critique.

Back