TitanFall [XO,X360]

Bots are totally mindless, there is really no point making them connected to online servers. They cannot receive any commands, they are just "creeps" so that human players [Pilots] can grind for XP. Each kill reduces time until "titanfall".

Bots run on server because it makes more sense to put them there than run them on one of the clients. It also frees up whatever limited resources it would require for them to run on the client side. The titan ai is also running on the server. Sounds like it's very simple as well.

Hosting games on Azure is in Beta, I believe. Unless you know of any other games hosted on Azure that spawn virtual servers?

Forza runs on Azure, but I don't know anything about what the server end looks like. I wouldn't expect Forza and Titanfall to share anything in terms of code.

Anything that runs on Azure is an application and needs to be tested like any other piece of software. The Titanfall server end is in beta just like the client code is in beta.

Finally received my TitanFall beta code! Downloading the beta now! Not as excited as I was a couple of days ago but I will give it a shot.

Played a few rounds, I'm enjoying it. I thought the titans would dominate the map but they are really pretty easy to kill.

played more, the best mode is Last Titan standing, as thats what the game has going, Titan vs Titan. Everything else is just the same. Its pointed at the COD lovers who want to feel awesome while doing stuff, anything. I guess they will love it. Whether what they are doing has any impact on the match or not is debatable, but the game is made to have "Oooooh yeah!" moments, it does that, but only till you realise it doesn't matter much and the fact that everytihng is so easy to do that it gets old too soon.

They have a killer product for the COD players, new players, new kids joining gaming. They will go gaga, and are already doing so, over hopping on to Titans, Wall Running, and killing so much(they are all bots, ppl are all in Titans, but see how I jump kicked it that fella!!)

Us Jaded old timers who have been playing since forever will find it hard to find any satisfaction in it. Thats waht I feel from playing since yesterday. Its too basic, too same-ish. The mechs also feel the same as foot soldiers, just bigger.

Bring TitanFall 2, make Titans real mechs and not just Big soldiers but something that has a feel of a mech , make it completely PvP, let hell break lose ! Don't worry about instant gratification, make hardwork count and I will be in with my guns and money ! This is too "casualised", for the lack of a better word.

The bots are there because the maps are accommodating two different levels of scale. The maps are too big for 6 vs 6 with pilots while being a little small for 6 vs 6 with titans (titans cant manuever through or over buildings). While the maps can easily accommodate 25 vs 25 pilots it would be a clusterfuck once everyone started dropping titans on the map. The bots allow for a comfortable level of titans and soldiers, while not heavily restricting a player ability to transition between the two.

I guess for respawn it was either use higher pvp and artificially limit the number of titans that can be active at any one time or use bots, lower pvp numbers and easy access to titans.

Played it this afternoon for a couple of hours. Graphics are mediocre. Not a huge fan of the pilot designs, but the titans look good. Sound is ok. Animations are pretty good.

The gameplay is fun. Bots don't sway the outcomes, but they can steal your attention from other pilots. The maps are good. The weapons and titans are balanced very well. The way the burn cards work is pretty cool.

Overall it seems like a solid start for a new IP. It's a lot more enjoyable to me than cod. It actually plays and feels quite a bit different because of the map size, the vertical element and the titans.

With a lot of maps it should provide a lot of fun

He must be awful.

Dunno... I've been playing for 2hs straight and must have killed only 10 humans on foot all the rest were Titans (20) and bloody bots (approx 50). I must admit that I'm principally a PC player so I'm having a hard time with the controller but the whole game is kind of a mess visually (hard as hell to figure the enemy..). Can't figure out how Respawn isn't able to managed stable FPS given what's on the screen... it's ugly as sin even on PC. The lighting is barely passable even for previous gen standards.

Just launched Forza 5 and oh boy now this is what a next gen game should look like. (let's not forget Ryse which is obviously a single player oriented game but Crytek at least had the decency to work their ass of in terms of visuals compared to Respawn...)

I probably average single rounds of 5 pilots killed on foot ,and I'm not even a good player. I played one game where a guy on the other team went 24-1.

the graphics aren't next-gen or anything, but it's a cross-generation multi-plat...i think source holds up well considering how old the engine is, animations seemed really good, game looked nice in general, you just play against a lot of AI it seems, or it just takes time to figure out where the real opponents are

Yes, all the servers for all versions of the game run on Azure.

The AI grunts do not impress, though. They are pretty stupid and are there to get shot with little resistance.

They are supposed to be more of a story set piece, and easier to kill. Edit: We will see more of this in the final release, and how they help tell a story in bits and pieces. Each map is supposed to tell something else, plus in beta we have seen nothing of the scripted moments.

I am enjoying it more than I thought I would, as I normally avoid CoD(etc). I like wall hanging for taking and keeping hardpoints. I suck in the titans though, I die really fast so I leave mine in guard mode where I know it will make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see scripted moments all the time. You run into a room and two grunts will be wrestling and they'll often salute or talk about you as you pass. I think they actually accomplish a lot, making the conflict feel very active, acting as a resource to be "farmed", but more importantly they act as mobile spotters so opposing pilots appear on your minimap.

Just played a few rounds. Opposing team was commanding the roof tops, it was a bit defeating if you catch my drift. Each time you poke out to look or run you were dead.

Also had this happen a few times now: menu bug

I've played quite a bit now. There's a lot of strategy to using the titans effectively. You have to manage your movement burst, know when to use your rockets, when to melee and your special ability. It's kind of like the halo thing taking down shields with your main gun, then using your rockets to take down the armour. There's that weird vortex shield for catching projectiles, and if you use it first your opponent will likely use theirs to catch the stuff as you throw it and then throw it right back at you. Fighting in the titans really isn't like fighting on foot at all. You're exposed. You have to manage your shields and use cover. The different weapons change the strategy quite a bit. Unless you use the chaingun it's very hard to deal with pilots, but if you go head to head with a titan armed with the rocket cannon, you're probably going to lose.

Pretty fun game. It is in some ways very familiar, but it has its own pace and strategy.

This will be a great game for competitive players. Huge difference in win percentage if I play with a couple of people I know and play with strategy in mind. Also, cutting out any kind of single player was a good idea. We're getting 15 multiplayer maps instead. That in itself is awesome. Seems most multiplayer games ship with about 5 maps. And there are no microtransactions in this game. The base package should give you a huge amount of playtime. I'm sure there will be DLC, but what you're getting out of the box should be great.

Back