eastmen

Legend
Supporter
Found this at the gaf

Originally Posted by Cartman86: View Post

- Xbox One, PC
- Xbox 360 version developed by someone else
- Planned to target current gen, but realized that they couldn't run it
- Started to look into next gen and the answer they got from Microsoft intrigued them
- They said they needed to focus on fewer hardware. In the future they are open to more. They don't specify if it would be this project or another.
- Plan to use Microsoft's Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations
- Campaign Multiplayer, "traditional" multiplayer mode, and a "One-Player Mode".
- Spring 2014 Release Date
- There are a good amount of screens. In my opinion it visually looks pretty nice.
- First person shooter
- "Mech" and ground combat
- "Mech's" are called Titans.
- They want these Titans to feel fast. They can dodge etc.
- If you don't want to pilot the Titan you can have it follow you, killing people as it goes along.
- Player characters are called Pilots (male and female)
- They are extremely agile. Can run on walls, multiple jumps.
- They can take down Titans. Jumping on them and shooting the "brain".
- You need to be cunning as a pilot. "Hit and fade" tactics is the term the game director uses.
- Pilots come equipped with a variety of weapons. Pistol, Assault Rifle, Anti-Titan Rocket Launcher, data knife used to hack AI characters into joining you.
- There are AI enemies on the maps.
- You survive longer than in COD. Making it more welcoming to newcomers.
- Source Engine. Building new engine = too much time.
- Source gives them 60 fps
- Modified Source - "Rewriting major portions of it".
- Article talks about the process of forming the team, being fired, prototyping ideas etc. I recommend reading it.
- Going for a District 9 or Blade Runner vibe.
- Integrate memorable single player moments into a multiplayer game.
- Storytelling style will be more Left 4 Dead.
- Humans segregated between Earth and frontier planets. Corporation trying to take the resources of these frontier people.
- Progression system. No details yet

Don't want to copy to much since its a print magazine so just put up the bullet points (mods please remove if it breaks rules)

Sounds interesting esp the physics , ai and dedicated servers on MS's cloud.

Source Engine seems like such a weird choice. I can't remember the last time a non-valve game used it. Maybe it was upgraded from the base engine. Doubt it's Source 2.

The interesting thing to me is that there seems to be rash of games that are also coming out on the PC. It could just be that I was unaware of the previous games, but it seems lately that Microsoft games is publishing a lot more games and they are bringing those games to the PC as well.

I know this is a console forum, but have PC gamers seen an increase in the games available? Are they MS published games, or is it just a coincidence they all seem to be 360/One/PC?

Maybe they'll allow more cross play this gen. It'll be interesting to see if the communications features work cross-platform.

Source Engine seems like such a weird choice. I can't remember the last time a non-valve game used it. Maybe it was upgraded from the base engine. Doubt it's Source 2.

They are ripping it apart and working it over to better fit their needs. I guess we have seen companies use Source and then ended up being published by Valve? It can still be a really capable engine, so it will be interesting to see how it looks.

So, this makes at least 2 exclusives so far that are making some use of the Cloud. I wonder just how many of the Xbox One exclusives are going to end up using the cloud? All? Most? A few?

Also, seems strange that being tied to EA now that they aren't using some variation of the Frostbite engine.

As well when you included Forza, that's now at least 2 exclusives that are solidly targeted at the "core" gamer. I really hope the internet meme about Microsoft abandoning the core gamer dies a horrible flaming death soon.

Regards,
SB

if this game turns out to be a big hit, no way EA will keep this exclusive to one platform. MS cant even pay enough to secure its exclusivity.

if this game turns out to be a big hit, no way EA will keep this exclusive to one platform. MS cant even pay enough to secure its exclusivity.

Nonsense. If it's an exclusive that deal might already be in place and that exclusivity will expire when the terms of the agreement say it will. Just like every other exclusive deal.

And suggesting MS can't afford to secure exclusivity for a title might be the stupidest thing I've read on the internet in a long time.

Sure MS can afford to, but the question is... did they? Is it worth it to them? How many third party titles did MS secure this generation? EA is one of the more money hungry publishers too, and they've always had a good relationship with Sony (not better, but good). They would have to pay a shitload of money to secure an EA title.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing in what you said suggests they have or haven't or will or won't sign an exclusive deal. Selling cross platform copies doesn't necessarily mean more money if MS throws you a pack in deal and cross marketing with the condition of timed exclusivity.

I'm not saying it is an exclusive, but suggesting it's not possible based on financials is laughable.

I'm not suggesting that they have or haven't... I'm just saying that I think it's highly unlikely that this will be a full on exclusive (unless it turns out to be a flop). Everyone with a brain knows MS has the money to spend, but I don't think they would pay for a full on exclusive... not for what EA would ask. Timed exclusive is more likely. But I could be wrong...

Sure MS can afford to, but the question is... did they? Is it worth it to them? How many third party titles did MS secure this generation? EA is one of the more money hungry publishers too, and they've always had a good relationship with Sony (not better, but good). They would have to pay a shitload of money to secure an EA title.

I doubt it would be any more expensive than an exclusive like Gears of War, but you're free to your own assumptions whatever you may be basing them on. I'm done.

day one... game looks to be everything I always wanted in Lost Planet but with a much bigger scale and 60 fps and CoD MP DNA... interested to see how the cloud features are implemented and make the game better as well

Back