State of Decay - Xbox Live Arcade, Wednesday June 5th, 2013

Ok, so I've restarted a couple times and have easily put in at least 20+ hours and I think I have the game entirely figured out by now. TBH this is the zombie games I've always wanted to play when watching the Romero films or the Walking Dead. I'm also really happy that it looks to be selling rather well. I've been following this game since it was originally announced as Class3 and it's good to see the team's hard work paying off. Originally the game was planned to have co-op, but it was later cut while they have hinted that they may look to add it back through an update if it sells well. SoD is also the test for Class4, which is basically SoD's sequel but as an MMO. AFAIK everything was riding on SoD being a success, so it's good to see that things are looking up for the team.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I haven't been this hooked on an open world game in ages.

Also regarding what goes on while you're game is off is detailed below:

If you left:
- your community in pretty good shape, morale wise, and
- cars in parking spaces near your base and food in the kitchen,
- weapons in need of repair in the lockers near your workbench,
- and sufficient time has passed,

You will come back and find that people are happy, repaired cars and weapons, and possibly some new stuff from the things your survivors did while you weren't there. Their lives continue, as independently as you saw them living when you were online.

If you left:
- Morale sliding, and
- Too many infestations (please note, we're ACTIVELY working on a change where we reduce how much square footage is considered in this calculation to make it a little less...insane...), and
- Vaguely ominous warnings about someone looking sick, and
- Not enough beds for people to sleep in

You will come back to find the shit has hit the fan.

It continues on the path you set.

PLEASE NOTE: The pace of progression slows the longer you are offline. If you are offline for one day, you will see a pretty sizable chunk of change. If you are offline for two, you'll see a bit more than that. But the difference between a week and a month is minor. We expect that our players are adults, and adults sometimes need to be away from a game for months at a time

And you can pretty much scavenge any house you want! Take that GTA!

Yeah, it's really no surprise the game looks the way it does. I'm sure the engine is taxing the system hard with how many systems it has to manage at once and how aggressive the streaming has to be to allow you to travel throughout the world and into any building without any load screen.

True.

Is it just me, or do none of the houses and buildings have stairwells that lead to a 2nd story?

Nah, there are houses and buildings that have stairs.

Where are you at in the game?

The game changes if you don't play for a while?! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKK. I hope those infestations I left aren't going to screw me over.

The game changes if you don't play for a while?! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKK. I hope those infestations I left aren't going to screw me over.

As long as you leave your crew in good condition, they should be fine. There's always a chance someone may die, but I think those would have happened regardless if you were playing or not. Your people can get sick for example and sometimes they may not make it.

This wasn't even on my radar until I read this thread. Wow, the game sounds amazing. I think I'm going to have to pick this up.

Thank goodness...

We're currently working on a PC version for release on Steam. Fortunately it's been in development alongside the Xbox 360 version since Day 1, so we just need to integrate with the Steam platform and add native support for keyboard and mouse control. We'll also continue to issue Title Updates at a fast pace to refine game balance and fix bugs.

I can't wait. I'm tempted to buy this both on X360 and PC just to give the developers a little extra cash as a reward for making something like this.

Is there a storyline to the game? Or is it just an open world sandbox?

Regards,
SB

I also hadn't heard much of this game if it wasn't for this thread but I am into Skyrim nowadays, while waiting for Xbox One to come out and I still plenty of games to play and only a few weeks to enjoy them since I am going to be busy the whole summer. But I find it interesting too...

This wasn't even on my radar until I read this thread. Wow, the game sounds amazing. I think I'm going to have to pick this up.

Thank goodness...

I can't wait. I'm tempted to buy this both on X360 and PC just to give the developers a little extra cash as a reward for making something like this.

Is there a storyline to the game? Or is it just an open world sandbox?

Regards,
SB

To be honest, I haven't done any gaming since I bought this. Too busy with other stuff. There is a narrative, as far as I know. There is an end to the game. One of the interviews I saw they talked about people playing it twice - once to complete the story and the next time to ignore the story and just see how long they could survive.

To be honest, I haven't done any gaming since I bought this. Too busy with other stuff. There is a narrative, as far as I know. There is an end to the game. One of the interviews I saw they talked about people playing it twice - once to complete the story and the next time to ignore the story and just see how long they could survive.

Cool, I can't wait to try this game out. Perhaps I'll grab the X360 version while waiting for the PC version to hit.

Regards,
SB

I've now watched some Youtube vids of the game and OMG I want this now. I love how every single thing you do generates some amount of noise. And every action creates a noise that can travel a certain amount of distance and if a zombie is within that distance they may hear it and come investigate. Which is both good and bad. Bad if you make a lot of noise searching something, good that you can use it to your advantage to distract zombies (alarm clocks, police sirens, etc.).

The game has an amazing amount of depth to it. If the game didn't feature any shooting I'd just get it on the X360, but as it is, I keep checking their site everyday to see when they are going to put the PC BETA up on steam for Early Release access.

This looks to be by far, the best Zombie-type game released in the last 10 years.

Regards,
SB

You really don't get many bullets. And if you shoot a gun you'd better have full stamina or a car nearby. I lost two people trying to do a mission and I don't think I was even close to finishing it. If your weapon breaks, good luck.

I have to add that co-op would have made this game incredible. It would be an awesome game for people that really enjoy strategy and teamwork.

You really don't get many bullets. And if you shoot a gun you'd better have full stamina or a car nearby. I lost two people trying to do a mission and I don't think I was even close to finishing it. If your weapon breaks, good luck.

I have to add that co-op would have made this game incredible. It would be an awesome game for people that really enjoy strategy and teamwork.

Yeah, it's a real shame there is no co-op. In one of their livestreams they mentioned that they have huge plans for the franchise, but that they can't go into any details. Hopefully, one of those is co-op.

As to the shooting yeah, that generates a lot of noise even with a suppressor (yay, they were smart enough to realize that silencers are a fantasy creation and don't exist in real life) if it's a large caliber gun.

So I may end up getting it on X360 anyway. I've come close a time or two to doing just that. :)

Regards,
SB

Even if you're tired of zombies, this is the zombie game to get.

I got it on Steam. I can't enjoy it, just run to way point, follow the instructions, rinse repeat. The combat is clunky and the graphic are horrible. I can't figure out the love for this game. Give me another L4D!

I got it on Steam. I can't enjoy it, just run to way point, follow the instructions, rinse repeat. The combat is clunky and the graphic are horrible. I can't figure out the love for this game. Give me another L4D!

It's an open world zombie survival game with resource management. Nothing even remotely like L4D, so I can see why you'd be disappointed.

Absolutely amazing game if you are into this kind of thing. By far the best zombie survival game I've ever played.

Regards,
SB

It's a very deep game. Tough choices, no saves to load from. Dead characters stay dead. Base management and morale are important and tie into your inventory as well as objectives. The graphics are poor at times and the combat is clunky. All of that is overcome by how intense the game is to play, and how deep and thoughtful the overall game mechanics are. There's really no other game like it. My only complaint is lack of cooperative play.

I've played a mass of SoD - it's a very good, if slightly flawed, game. The engine is definitely a bit shonky and the gameplay can be a bit repetitive, but it's got "something". I actually think the sandbox mode (Breakdown) is the version that works the best.

Having read the Undead Labs forums a bit the simulation side of it is a lot deeper than you'd think at first; they've put a lot of thought into the resource management part of the game. I hope they've spruced up the engine for the One version though - the game deserves something a little more robust.

April 28th on Xbox One. Owners of the 360 version get a 33% discount. Regular price is $30. Discount price $20.

Absolutely fantastic, if nerve-shredding, game. My only complaint about the original was the choppy framerate, which has hopefully been improved.

That seems like a reasonable price to be getting back into the SoD world. Some form of save transfer would be nice.

Maybe with a fresh surge of interest (and income) there might be a chance that co-op gets patched in? /hopeful face

Back