DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

Does Driveclub offer a difficulty setting - specifically, an "easy" mode? Tempted to get this for my wife but based on discussion here and elsewhere, it sounds like the default mode will be too hard and demoralizing ("Yay, placed last again!")

Cheers

I'll check. Certainly though the motion control support make this game a lot more accessible to non-hardcore gamers.

Don't give up on it! I got used to the 30fps quite fast and the driving gets really good. Also do me and yourself a favor and give the gyro driving a fair shake.

I like btw that the game has an option to look into the turn a bit automatically.

The faster cars sound very good btw.

I have to admit, after playing a bit some more yesterday, I've come to grips with a few things. I'm still disgusted by the 30fps choice though. The graphics are superb, no doubt, but IMO it was the wrong trade-off in regards to the game, as once you get used to the graphics, it loses it's importance, impact and wow-factor quickly.

Anyway, I like the way the cockpit moves around. Very dynamic. Even though you're sitting in the livingroom playing it, the way it simulates you as a driver sitting inside the car makes it quite immersive. Nice.

I also am quite impressed with the sound so far. The 5.1 setup works quite well in mapping the right noises to the right channels. Not sure on the car sounds though - only driven the Mini and the Mercedes, which are quite dull sound wise (they are in real-life too IMO).

I also have to admit I love the tracks so far. Only played two Norway tracks so far and the one from the first event

There's one thing that I am quite surprised no one has mentioned so far in regards to the handling; What is up with the way the car nearly always pulls you into a controlled slide into a corner? It's as if the game is actually helping you to get through the corner, even when braking too late into it, it's usually quite easy to get the car into a controlled slide or drift nearly perfectly around it. Feels way to Ridge Racer IMO, and not in a good way. One of the reason why I bought this game was because someone stated the similarities to NFS High Stakes among others - being a big fan to the earlier NFS game, I think despite the arcade nature of those games, they felt a lot more realistic than this does currently...

yes the gameplay is more arcade than sim, but i find it more satisfying, i must say i may have already played driveclub more than i had played forza 4 back in the time, this type of gameplay suits me better, though of course it's not realistic at all. For me with that kind of gameplay it feels easier to get immersed in the game.

Don't forget that a front wheel drive car actually brakes out in the back more easily if you brake in a turn. Cars mostly behave as expected, you'll find. The sound of the later cars is very good.

And yeah, I really like the tracks so far too, and I am quite far into the game now. The frame rate is a shame I agree. Have you tried motion control steering yet?

found the flamingos, on the chungara lake track, but can't reach them, to far in the distance, you can see a lot of them in the water, and some flying around.

Don't forget that a front wheel drive car actually brakes out in the back more easily if you brake in a turn. Cars mostly behave as expected, you'll find. The sound of the later cars is very good.

Yeah, that's true. Though at the one Norway track, I was doing ridiculous speeds to test the limit. Was going into a corner at 200kmh, full on the brake, left-right swerve a bit before the right hander and got it into a drift and I could swear it felt like I was gliding through the corner as if I was on rails. At that speed and velocity, there's no way my car should physically stay on the track, drift or not. I should have headed straight of the corner, into the wall or down the cliff. :p

Arwin said:
Have you tried motion control steering yet?

Not yet. Only had little time for a quick game. I tried checking to see if you had set any challenges, but it seems the servers are still being hammered (lost connection after loading for about a minute).

Yeah, have done one online race early in the morning and not much else (online that is).

They've spoken of server capacity, haven't they? It should really be on the cloud and expandable, so that's rather confusing. Edit: As EG comments point out, Sony is now charging for online gaming. What is that fee covering if not effective online service?

Sony (the platform holder) charging for online gaming has nothing to do with the performance of matchmaking servers for specific games. This is conflating issues.

Both PSN and XBL don't provide server capacity for free for every developer/publisher's games. That's the remit of the game publisher, not the platform holder.

It just so happens that in this case Sony is the publisher. However, complaining about having to pay for PSN is missing the point. When BF4 had server issues, noone brought up having to pay for Live and PSN as an issue, because the publisher/dev was at fault, not the online service.

Likewise the issue here is with Sony WWS (publisher) and Evolution Studios, not providing sufficient server capacity. It's got nothing to do with PSN.

Both PSN and XBL don't provide server capacity for free for every developer/publisher's games. That's the remit of the game publisher, not the platform holder.

It just so happens that in this case Sony is the publisher.
True enough, if the online subscription fee doesn't cover provision of games servers.

Sense of speed isn't what Phil is talking about. 30 fps has a visceral separation for players, making it that much more obvious that you're watching a TV rather than driving a car. 30 fps with lots of moblur can seem really faster in terms of motion, but also not as immersive as a slower feeling 60 fps-er.

It basically boils down to the 30 or 60 fps preference of individuals for whatever genre. Phil's a framerate whore!

I can understand now, I've been playing LoU and going to this I felt that 'drop' to 30fps, this indeed would have looked very nice at 60fps so I finally get the fuss. Having said that the game is a stunner and plays nicely. The sense of speed seems fine to me and I've not even gone into the cockpit yet! lol

I have no idea how valid such sentiments are, but it is possible to have a greater sense of speed despite the physical aspects being constant among titles. If the motion blur is longer (longer shutter speed), that'll help, and if the cars can get closer to significant distance markers, that could help too. There may also be a psychological element where more realistic visuals help convince the brain it's more inside a moving vehicle than watching a TV screen.

There's things like the dust/leaves kicking up that helps too. GT always felt far too slow, I'd be doing 80 and feeling like I was doing 40/50.

Back