DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

Maybe not confirmed, but I've heard that the main team (or the majority of the team) was working on the PS4 project while GoW:A was being made. Would make sense considering Ascension isn't even a continuation of the main series and they're probably focusing on their PS4 game now.

Regardless, whether it's mediocre or not is debatable. Metacritic's score suggests that it's still a good game. And I don't see any trend of mediocre Sony published games... just a generation winding down. If you need more proof of this, just look at what the competition's offerings are as of late.

It felt mediocre to me. And how do you know which is the main team as Santa Monica?

We all know this was handled by Pappy and a new art director. These guys have never got lead roles before. Pappy was combat designer or something on GOW3, went on to become Game Director in GOW:A , same for Art director, he too went from a part in group to leading the team. It is a well known fact that the actual GOW3 team is working on another game.

as for the discussion, well, any generalising comment would always spawn counter points ;) !

I think it was Carl Marx who said, "All generalisations are wrong, including this one !" :D

Evolution Was Asked by Sony to “Come Up With Another New IP” for PS4 Launch, Created DriveClub

DriveClub from Evolution Studios (MotorStorm) is set to be a PlayStation 4 launch title, with a special PlayStation Plus edition becoming available for free at the same time. As it turns out, Evolution was “asked a couple of years ago to come up with another new IP for a console launch,” said Matt Southern, Studio Game Director, to The Guardian.
Likening DriveClub to a first-person shooter, Southern talked about how racing games used to be the dominant force in gaming, before the industry shifted towards shooters:
"Before PS3 launched, the number one game every Christmas was a racing sim, usually Need For Speed, it almost became cliche. Then, over the console’s life-cycle, the shooter took over. We did some research with the Sony guys in the US and we found that people moved from racers to shooters because, when they played together online, they didn’t like it when only one person could win. Squad-based shooters really nailed that, especially the first Modern Warfare where you could really feel a sense of reward; you could level up and unlock abilities even if you were hopeless. As long as you were in a group of people where at least some of them were doing well, you made progress. We wanted to nail that with DriveClub, we wanted people to feel it was worth racing, even if they never crossed the winning line first."
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...o-come-up-with-another-new-ip-for-ps4-launch/

Good approach but make sure its fun first. Please show us a race instead of just one guy driving on a lonely road and get that new demo out already ! Really want to see what this game looks like near to completion !

I got a 50€-off voucher for this from Amazon.de. Probably because I pre-ordered the system. Still don't really give a damn I'm afraid, especially since I get to play the game in some form as a PS+ member anyway.

I got a 50€-off voucher for this from Amazon.de. Probably because I pre-ordered the system. Still don't really give a damn I'm afraid, especially since I get to play the game in some form as a PS+ member anyway.

One of the reasons I am sure people will prefer to buy KZ on launch over this. Almost every early adopter will buy PS+ for MP and get Drivelub lite with it.

I got a code as well and used it. Getting the game for 20€ is no big risk and who knows how much is missing in the other version

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2013/aug/07/ps4-driveclub-future-game-visuals

Good read. I think this game will suprise a lot of people at Gamescom (Hopefully :rolleyes:)

Edit:

Everything is then lit via a true 24-hour day/night system, rather than a baked in sequence of pre-set lighting changes. "We've developed our own capture technique so the lighting in shadow, the lighting in direct sunlight and the way the car highlights fall off over distance – they all maintain proper energy conservation values," says Perkins. "We had to redesign our entire materials system – how we actually collect the information; it's much closer to the process you'd have on a film set for compositing CG elements into a live action image.
"

"None of the direct light or shade is faked anymore," says Perkins. "It's at the point where you can see things like dynamic lens flare when you look at the sun and you can see a bit of chromatic aberration because we're mimicking slightly cheaper film lenses to capture deliberate imperfections that will make the game more lifelike."

But there is more to it than simply making nice effects. It's about using environmental lighting to build atmosphere on a macro level. "One of the big things we're trying to do with the game, is to keep things as dynamic and changeable as possible," says Perkins. "The whole look and feel of the game changes dramatically based on the cloud covering – there's massive variation every time you play. And the light scatters properly, so when the clouds are injected into the scene, we get a real sense of scale."

What's interesting is the increasingly close interplay between audio visual fidelity and car handling. In the first-person view, the head movement of the driver is designed to convey the feeling of what the car is doing beneath you. The team has apparently spent a long time working on tyre feel, the tactile input from skidding along tarmac, the imperfections of which are procedurally generated.

There are also intricate audio cues on what the tyres are doing, leading to demands for more memory from the audio designers. As game director Col Rodgers explains, "The tyres of hundreds of different states, we know exactly what they're doing at any one time, and obviously the audio guys want to replicate that as much as possible, which means upping the amount of samples. Audio feedback is a massive part of the handling experience, a lot of people forget that."

As for the handling model itself, the game director overseeing handling, Paul Rustchynsky, says his team includes ex-staff from the Gran Turismo, Project Gotham and Grid 2 all working on the feel of the drive. From our demo session, the aim seems to be upper-end arcade; cars are mostly sturdy and corner well, but they can slide out enthusiastically if the line is missed. For me, the effect is somewhere between Forza Horizon and, say, Need For Speed: Most Wanted.

Nice

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the latest Edge they are targeting 60 fps, so there is still some hope for this game. But it is currently pretty crappy according to the Edge preview.

image_driveclub-22874-2662_0001.jpg

image_driveclub-22874-2662_0004.jpg

image_driveclub-22874-2662_0007.jpg

I dunnoo....doesn't look bad, but doesn't impress either.

When will we get the footage from the new Gamescom demo?

Inn evolution fashion, the environment has definitely improved over the last showing. ALso the cockpit view seems to be showing the reflections FOrza devs were mentioning.

I am gettng interested now !

Edit; watched it again and frankly, in this off screen video, the game just looks too beautiful :D ! A bit too saturated, but that might be due to the off screen part.

Last edited by a moderator:
All PS+ subscribers will get DriveClub right ? Is it the same copy as the retail version ? Or is something cut from it ?

Wow, that's starting to look really great. Very good and convincing lighting.

Back