How should devs handle ports between consoles? *spawn

Ugh. If your pushing the exact same things on screen in terms of CPU, there's obviously going to be a GPU reservation that's left to increase resolution, especially with a 40% advantage.

That power has to go somewhere, its not just locked up where people can't access it, unless your saying you bumped up graphics sliders on PS4 in comparison to X1 and were disallowed from going higher res wise because of that.

Why bother saying anything Ubi? "We didn't want to create any debates", you did by doing this!

CPU is often the least consistent in processing time I believe between the two. If the cpu is already the bottleneck and you are already over budget in cpu time, you will cut into your GPU time. If you want to hold a solid frame rate your going to cut further to make sure the game doesn't hiccup. Just because the CPU is running over 33 ms doesn't magically mean the GPU can do the same, the combined performance still needs to output something within 33ms

edit: hmmm I believe this is wrong. If there was a brief spike of CPU going over budget, perhaps a faster frame might make it not as noticeable, but consistently over 33ms the game will entirely be CPU bound, resolution wouldn't have a factor anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not an investment for MS, and it only harms any goodwill they are trying to build with their potential customer base.

There's just no logic at the moment and a lot of emotions riding. I think in a couple of days/weeks we're going to be a better point for discussion wrt. AC Unity.

For all the folks claiming it's "MS Money" causing parity harm, do you really think that's the case? If that was the case, they would have better use of their money for Assassin Creed Unity "exclusive" for 2014 instead of harming the PS4. :p

cant they add stuff using gpu on ps4 version if the gpu still have "free power"? (assuming it do have "free power")

i dont know how it is on console and AC's engine, but BF4 on my PC is bottlenecked by CPU (the sound even still comes late/missing). When i increase GPU-stuff like texture, AA, AF, the frame rate did not get hit (according to fraps fps counter).

they should be able too but then again they don't want to switch to a gpu limited situation where they might not be able to maintain 30fps.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/6/6920873/assassins-creed-unity-resolution-frame-rate-ps4-xbox-one
Update: Ubisoft says it did not scale down the game's graphics to accommodate one particular system, saying Pontbriand's comments were "misinterpreted." The company's full comment is below.
"We understand how Senior Producer Vincent Pontbriand's quotes have been misinterpreted. To set the record straight, we did not lower the specs for Assassin's Creed Unity to account for any one system over the other.

"Assassin's Creed Unity has been engineered from the ground up for next-generation consoles. Over the past 4 years, we have created Assassin's Creed Unity to attain the tremendous level of quality we have now achieved on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. It's a process of building up toward our goals, not scaling down, and we're proud to say that we have reached those goals on all SKUs.

"At no point did we decide to reduce the ambitions of any SKU. All benefited from the full dedication of all of our available optimization resources to help them reach the level of quality we have today with the core Assassin's Creed Unity experience."​
So there you have it folks... UBISoft is working hard on all versions... making sure all systems are treated equally... they did not reduce graphics... no scaling down... did not lower specs... just a simple misunderstanding.

Yes, a simple misunderstanding...

/giggling

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/6/6920873/assassins-creed-unity-resolution-frame-rate-ps4-xbox-one
So there you have it folks... UBISoft is working hard on all versions... making sure all systems are treated equally... they did not reduce graphics... no scaling down... did not lower specs... just a simple misunderstanding.

Yes, a simple misunderstanding...

/giggling

It wasn't a misunderstanding they said the same thing 2 different ways. Their update is saying that they set a goal & reached it with all platforms. In short that goal was set at Xbox One's level.

Looks like the predictions of the source from an Edge article last year are coming true

One source even suggested that enforcing parity across consoles could become a political issue between platform holders, developers and publishers. They said that it could damage perceptions of a cross platform title, not to mention Xbox One, if the PS4 version shipped with an obviously superior resolution and framerate; better to “castrate” the PS4 version and release near-identical games to avoid ruffling any feathers.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/pow...erences-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/

Someone's feathers got ruffled, now it's time for us all to pay the price :eek:

It wasn't a misunderstanding they said the same thing 2 different ways. Their update is saying that they set a goal & reached it with all platforms. In short that goal was set at Xbox One's level.

onQ I was being sarcastic. Hence the giggle...

I noticed this was going on when some games was released with lower resolutions then patched after launch when the reviews are already done.

For PS4 versions I can only remember it happening with AC4, were there others?

Since it's only AC I can't say this is bumming me out too much, but if the next victims are The Witcher and The Division... :rolleyes:

Since it's only AC I can't say this is bumming me out too much, but if the next victims are The Witcher and The Division... :rolleyes:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-13-day-one-patch-makes-call-of-duty-ghosts-single-player-1080p-on-ps4

Activision will issue a day one patch for the PlayStation 4 version of Call of Duty: Ghosts that improves the native resolution of the single-player campaign, Eurogamer can exclusively reveal.

The patch makes the campaign output at a native 1080p resolution. Without it, the campaign outputs at 720p.

Digital Foundry's tests with a retail copy of the PS4 version of Infinity Ward's shooter turned up surprising results: the multiplayer runs natively at 1080p resolution - but the single-player runs natively at 720p. This clearly contradicts messaging from both Infinity Ward, Activision and Sony about the resolution of the game, which on Xbox One runs natively at 720p across all modes.

Eurogamer has since learned that a day one patch will be released to address the problem, which Activision is blaming on a "configuration issue".

"Call of Duty: Ghosts runs natively at 1080p on the PlayStation 4," an Activision spokesperson told Eurogamer this evening.

"There was a configuration issue in the retail version on single-player mode only. This has been addressed with a day one software update. People will be able to download the day one update when PlayStation 4 launches in their territory and play at native 1080p."

Without the day one update, you'll get the COD single-player upscaled, including the menu system and the HUD. Indeed, even the occasional screen-tear generated by the game is upscaled from 720p.

IMO The Division looks like a really interesting game but I refused to get my hopes up at this point simply to be disappointed.

WRT AC parity the comments taken literally appear to suggest it was a conscious decision on their part to avoid controversy which is ironic in that it will probably lead to more controversy than if they had said nothing at all.

That said if I'm a big publisher I might inclined to do this simply bc I want to see both platforms do well enough keep both companies from getting too arrogant. Not that I care, I played the first AC as well a little of the second one and feel the game is average at best based on my taste. The story has lots of potential and the production values seem good but the core gameplay is pretty shallow and doesn't hold my attention. Maybe the series has gotten better over time and perhaps I'm missing out on an IP that has progressed but as far as I can tell AC is still a pretty superficial gaming experience.

I noticed this was going on when some games was released with lower resolutions then patched after launch when the reviews are already done.

*Tinfoil hat on*

I’m more inclined to believe Nvidia (Gameworks) fingers has more to do with this… more so than Microsoft. AMD GNC technology is somewhat awful when Nvidia has its fingers (money, promotions, free hardware, etc…) deeply in Publishers/Developers engines. There could be a sh** load of Nvidia specific code that could be throwing the XB1/PS4 hardware into a tizzy. Going from a targeted spec of 1080p/60fps to 900/30fps - seems quite weird. As though UBISOFT had no clues on XB1/PS4 limitations... which makes that scenario even weirder.

UBISOFT maybe opting for the easiest approach (see: Watch Dogs), of not admitting AMD GNC technology is somewhat fu**ed because of their partnership with Nvidia.

*Tinfoil hat off*

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really bad for console gaming imo. The only advantage consoles have is optimization until the brain melts.

Now we have PC situation it seems: hardware just idling around or brute forcing through non optimized features.

Again, it seems that also in this generation we have to rely on a few brave third party devs and mostly on Sony's first party devs to see what this consoles are capable of.

Games will be made for console, so GCN, they should run butter smooth on any relatively recent PC, even more so once D3D12/OpenGL Next arrive.

Consoles games are optimised because marketing (and customers ?) demand improved visuals with each new game, and console hardware doesn't change, not for any other reason.

Damn, was really looking forward to this game giving the fresh new graphics and setting. But this parity BS has gone too far, no way in hell I'm supporting ubi's act for a full priced copy. Not to mention the monstrosity of something like this displaying on my TV, eww.
ix83nsL88YGFP.png

Whats worse is that the people and weapons (and even the candle stick at the back) don't even look part of the scene, if you told me someone copy and pasted them over a room setting I would believe you.

Consoles games are optimised because marketing (and customers ?) demand improved visuals with each new game, and console hardware doesn't change, not for any other reason.

Yes, and that is the good thing (customer perspective) about a console: maximum bang for buck.

And I also think that it is a good thing for the gaming industry with respect to technology...there were a lot of innovations and new algorithms/tec due to the limitation a console becomes over the years imo.

So there you have it.

900/30 was the target for Watch Dogs, and it's the target for AC also.

Xbox One couldn't hit the target with Watch Dogs. After huge SDK improvements now it can for AC (DF frame rate tests yet to come).

It's another Destiny style situation. I bet that won't stop the outrage tho...

And the jaggies man, I've seen last gen's attempt being far better than this. I am now completely reevaluating what to expect from this console gen, parity and all.

Back