How should devs handle ports between consoles? *spawn

I don't believe it's supposed to be ideal. CUs are not good at branching, and from my understanding of AI, it can be lot of branch code.

It depends what you mean by AI. Based on my playthrough of Black Flag there is very little intelligence; the NPCs are like sheep. Sit here, Stand here with this group. Walk this way. Run away! :runaway:

Enemies have basic pathfinding ability (climb ladder, achieve same elevation as target etc) but none of the NPCs are smart. They almost never demonstrate any flanking or flushing behaviour (basic combat tactics) so when Ubisoft mention "advanced AI" my inclination is my roll my eyes dramatically :rolleyes:

It would have been better to have stopped at saying they weren't getting consistent enough behavior from both platforms and they picked a conservative spec, which the rest of the article goes into detailing.
It's not a particularly wise thing to say they're bowing out 1080p for fear of forum discussions.

However, I think we should wait until we see real-world analysis of the end result of their work, to make sure that the PS4 is very consistent in its performance.
If the developers were not observant enough about the hardware to think this gen was 10x better from a CPU perspective--now into the second software release cycle--it might not just be hardware.
This is the game where they initially said making a female character was too difficult.

Most games still use pathnodes for NPC navigation. I have yet to see any game do complex conditional checks in addition. I can see PR reasons for such things but they would have to prove their AI is doing something special to claim being CPU bound or w/e.

Hopefully they don't PR the PC version :LOL:

Most games still use pathnodes for NPC navigation. I have yet to see any game do complex conditional checks in addition.

Pathfinding is such a trivial problem in modern games that it's not surprising that most solutions are based on Dijkstra's algorithm, or simplified variations of it. But it doesn't take a huge amount of 'AI' code to have ranged attackers prefer elevated attack positions, particulalry when they are already on a roof which you have just jumped off - assuming line of sight still exists. Generally it will, e.g. run to point from which target has just jumped.

It's crazy, if elevation => target and line_of_sight is true, just shoot the [strike]bastard[/strike] target! :yep2:

Ubi just made a shitty move to all PS4 users. They gimped PS4 version of AC Unity down to Xbone 900p30 level "to avoid all the debates and stuff".
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/assas...y_is_900p_30fps_on_both_ps4_and_xbox_one.html

So they wont even try to increase IQ of PS4 version because of external PR decisions. Just to be reminded, AC Unity has promotional deal with Microsoft.

Here is how the game looks on Xbone:
ix83nsL88YGFP.png

:mad:
Isnt the image a bit too compressed to get any conclusions?
Regardless knowing that there is extra juice to possibly run the game at better framerates and/or better resolution but not taking advantage of it is not something delightful.
My investment is not taken fully advantage of.

Oh god, that looks terrible. That is the same game as the trailers we've been drooling over, right?

And the image is a png, so unless it was originally a highly compressed jpg converted to png, then there's no compression. And still, the IQ looks terrible regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
But PS4 (and maybe Xbox One) GPGPU was designed for better branching.

It's vastly improved over how branching was handled in prior ATI/AMD GPUs, but that doesn't make it good in comparison to a CPU (any of them).

Nothing's been disclosed to say any of the consoles have gone beyond standard GCN branch handling.

It would be interesting if EU starts an investigation against Microsoft for abuse of economic power, in case it´s bribing developers to not use PS4´s superior performance. Predatory practices are not good to consumers.

I´m not buying this game because of this forced parity BS, and I think all PS4 users should do the same.

Using the power of PS4 to provide a better experience wouldn´t hurt at all the Xbox One users, as they would still get the same game they are getting now, at 900p30. Vote with your wallet. It´s the only way they will listen.

It would be interesting if EU starts an investigation against Microsoft for abuse of economic power, in case it´s bribing developers to not use PS4´s superior performance. Predatory practices are not good to consumers.

I´m not buying this game because of this forced parity BS, and I think all PS4 users should do the same.

Using the power of PS4 to provide a better experience wouldn´t hurt at all the Xbox One users, as they would still get the same game they are getting now, at 900p30. Vote with your wallet. It´s the only way they will listen.

Whoa damn. lol. Way to get emotional with so little detail on the topic.

You don't know if they struggled with 720p on X1, and then managed to get it to 900p. And that was that, they stopped there and put their attention elsewhere. You're assuming they have it running at 1080p on PS4 and are dialling it back to 900p for the sake of parity. That isn't written anywhere.

Whoa damn. lol. Way to get emotional with so little detail on the topic.

You don't know if they struggled with 720p on X1, and then managed to get it to 900p. And that was that, they stopped there and put their attention elsewhere. You're assuming they have it running at 1080p on PS4 and are dialling it back to 900p for the sake of parity. That isn't written anywhere.

Either UBISOFT is awful at target management or they pulled 1080p/60fps out their arse.
GamingBolt caught up with Bruno St. Andre who is the level designer of Assassin’s Creed Unity. Although at first, Bruno was not sure what the resolution and frame rate targets were, but he eventually revealed to GamingBolt that they are indeed targeting 1080p resolution and 60fps for both consoles. It will be interesting to see whether they will be able to deliver on this promise as the game only has a few months remaining before its October launch.

I think this sums it up... not all the fluff that followed.
Assassin's Creed Unity will run at 900p/30fps on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, Ubisoft has confirmed, with the publisher opting to aim for platform parity to avoid discussion over any differences in performance.

Yes, but for WD Ubi did not force unnecessary parity. Now, they are enforcing parity just because of bullshit reasoning of their upper management.

Back