Technical investigation into PS4 and XB1 audio solutions *spawn

AMD is talking about their "true audio" tech right now, in their live stream.
http://www.livestream.com/amdlivestream?t=637320

reworded quotes:
"It will give the same artistic freedom to developers that we give to graphic artists."

"Hundreds of sound sources"

"Directional output to even ordinary stereo headsets"

"Available on their latest line of desktop gpus." (No libraries for next gen consoles?)

So as far as I can tell, the PS4 audio chip is most like the ASP and the XMA block of SHAPE. That should be very useful for developers, but I'm not sure why they call it an audio processor, if it's really just a codec chip.

Watching the AMD reveal, TrueAudio looks interesting. Hundreds of channels, HRTF, supported by WWISE and FMOD. Sad that it didn't make it into the nextgen consoles.

So as far as I can tell, the PS4 audio chip is most like the ASP and the XMA block of SHAPE. That should be very useful for developers, but I'm not sure why they call it an audio processor, if it's really just a codec chip.

Watching the AMD reveal, TrueAudio looks interesting. Hundreds of channels, HRTF, supported by WWISE and FMOD. Sad that it didn't make it into the nextgen consoles.

shape sounds pretty close to what amd just announced right? or at the very least shape will be able to handle most of this with little problem?

interesting, i dont know anything about audio programming but how intensive is filtering and mixing? i ask because on vita the audio chip handles all of that i just imagined the same would go for ps4 but this seems like a step back in that regard. like if they ported vita games to ps4 would audio suffer if the game made heavy use on vita?

Amazing how original Xbox handled 5.1 mixing it with a "basic" audio HW and a 1 core 733mhz Celeron. I wouldnt be worried

Amazing how original Xbox handled 5.1 mixing it with a "basic" audio HW and a 1 core 733mhz Celeron. I wouldnt be worried
Original XBox had a full fledged audio chip that could mix hundreds of channels. All of the 5.1 encode was handled by that chip.

The guy mentioned next gen consoles but I totally missed the part and the context.

shape sounds pretty close to what amd just announced right? or at the very least shape will be able to handle most of this with little problem?
Not really, shape can't do convolution reverb, which audiokinetic just said the AMD tech can do. What shape can do is free up an entire CPU core that the game can then use for convolution reverb :)

Relab must be seething that all the game companies are hyping convolution reverb, and ignoring his high end, cheaper, and better custom reverb algorithms. Don't say I didn't warn you. :)

Relab must be seething that all the game companies are hyping convolution reverb, and ignoring his high end, cheaper, and better custom reverb algorithms. Don't say I didn't warn you. :)

Well, AMD is a hardware company. They need demand for all those GFLOPS. Dumb and brute force sounds better when you're in the brute force business.

Cheers

I'm still trying to work out if TrueAudio is an embedded DSP, or if it's just an application of GPGPU customized for audio.

Hehehe :LOL: About time the game industry reach year 2006. As you noted the AMD tech is just convolution on GPU's - which means that some of the power of GPU's have to be reserved for convolution.

That said - convolution reverbs are light years ahead of fmod and wwise reverb.

Not really, shape can't do convolution reverb, which audiokinetic just said the AMD tech can do. What shape can do is free up an entire CPU core that the game can then use for convolution reverb :)

i see

sorry for the questions im just trying to understand what shape can or cant do. so many people are telling me so many different things. and unfortunately i dont completely understand the stuff on vgleaks.

I'm still trying to work out if TrueAudio is an embedded DSP, or if it's just an application of GPGPU customized for audio.

This other boring guy, just said something maybe regarding that it does not take GPU time. But I was mostly falling to sleep right until the mic blew my speakers again.

I cant understand the shitty sound block Sony put in PS4 if AMD had this in the oven.

Yeah it seems odd unless it was NDA'd and exists or Sony just plain turned it down. Will be interesting in the lead up to launch though.

From PC Perspective's Live update:
5:06 Comment From Dave Bauman
TrueAudio is a processor, not the "transport" (interface / codec)

5:10 Ryan Shrout:
JUST CONFIRMED: This is a separate DSP on the card, NOT using GPU shaders to make this happen. Does that make this even MORE ODD??

Edit: Never mind; too late. :)

Back