Microsoft Xbox E3 2013 Events - Xbox: A new Generation of Games Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm one of those who commented that giving away the most popular titles benefits the least people. What MS needs to do is give away fabulous games that everybody wanted but nobody bought - then they'd be really popular. :yep2:

A very popular game by the age group of people during initial release could still be popular with the coming of age group...

My sons first Halo game was Halo Reach but sure...why would he possibly be interested in the previous games even though he loves Reach and Halo 4.

He just started playing Crackdown and loves it.

I don't think this is a difficult concept to grasp here

I'm one of those who commented that giving away the most popular titles benefits the least people. What MS needs to do is give away fabulous games that everybody wanted but nobody bought - then they'd be really popular. :yep2:

Crysis, Mirror's Edge & PGR4 came to mind for some reason. >_<

There's a bunch more I could think of, but yeah...

Well, they probably shouldn't have announced that they were "kicking off the program" with Halo 3 and AC2.

Yusuf Mehdi didn't in the E3 keynote. I quoted what he said above.

Since I'm not going to watch that at work, is that the Major Nelson interview where he said the following... “and to kick off that program I’d like to share just two of the titles we’re going to offer over the next few months – Assassin’s Creed two, and Halo three”?

The YouTube video was of Yusuf Mehdi from the E3 keynote. The quote is...

"just 2 of the titles we're going to offer over the next few months, Assassin's Creed 2 & Halo 3"

Huh? wasn't Fable 3 available for weeks? I distinctly remember Major Nelson telling people to download it before it's gone a couple weeks ago.

You're right, but I wasn't disputing that.

Amazing offer , a four years old xbla game :???:

Technically it's a 3 year old XBLA game, but I agree it's somewhat disappointing.

Tommy McClain

The YouTube video was of Yusuf Mehdi from the E3 keynote. The quote is...

"just 2 of the titles we're going to offer over the next few months, Assassin's Creed 2 & Halo 3"

Ah. What made me think it was Hryb? Anyway, it seems pretty obvious people misunderstood what he meant (innocently or otherwise). People getting their knickers in a twist over nothing. Again.

When I subbed up to this for my son (for the free game Fable 3) I noticed that this offer ends at the end of this year, did I missread that?

Yeah, the Terms & Conditions mention that this goes until end of 2013. Pretty bizarre (and terrible).

“Games with Gold” free games offer available 6/10/13-12/31/13

Yeah, the Terms & Conditions mention that this goes until end of 2013. Pretty bizarre (and terrible).

What that means is that this promotion is only scheduled to continue through the end of the year. I doesn't mean that they wont have something new/similar starting Jan 2013. Also, these games don't expire, once you download them you can keep them forever, even if you stop subscribing to gold.

I doesn't mean that they wont have something new/similar starting Jan 2013.

True, but I'm certainly not holding my breath as I imagine their focus will be on trying to sell XO rather than appealing to an older platform & non-Gold members there (free games on 360 don't mean anything on XO). I suppose they might sucker the late-comers into the Gold service on 360 (the far cheaper platform), and MS could hope they'll stick with it and upgrade to the XO, although I'm not sure that's the type of consumer they're interested in. Or maybe it's also an attempt to string along existing members into the "good will of MS" for the generational transition - the uncertainty, as you've brought up, that there might be something newer and better afterwards.

mmm... pessimism. :p

We'll just have to wait and see then. :)

Also, these games don't expire, once you download them you can keep them forever, even if you stop subscribing to gold.
Fair enough, although I do rather regret downloading Fable III. ;)

we really don't know what will happen with xbla games. The one should be able to run them with little hassle. So we might still see the existing xbla library come over at some point.

Regardless , I get a free game a month to play while saving up for the one. I have xbox live family plan paid for till 2016 and I only paid $60 a year for it

I think you're kidding yourself if you think your existing XBLA library will eventually come over. Now, had you said XBLIG, then I might have agreed. XBLA are really no different than disc games as they use the same SDK. So with no backward compatibility announced you can kiss your XBLA library good bye on XB1. Now, they may eventually stream them OnLive style, but that could be years down the road & by then people will have already moved on to next-gen games. Infuriating no?

Tommy McClain

Ah. What made me think it was Hryb? Anyway, it seems pretty obvious people misunderstood what he meant (innocently or otherwise). People getting their knickers in a twist over nothing. Again.

Yeah, not technically a lie, but everyone interpreted it in one way, it was widely reported and they made no effort to correct the misconception.

Why is generous called terrible? I think the offer isn't that bad if you take into account you can have 12 free games forever! That's the key for me. 16th June comes along a new game. I am okay with Defense Grid, although I just hope they up the ante and the games they offer for free are also retail games and not just very good Arcade games.

You and I are used to pay for (almost) everything and every free game is so much for me to say no. I downloaded the game today, playing it is a whole different story though.

Yeah, not technically a lie, but everyone interpreted it in one way, it was widely reported and they made no effort to correct the misconception.

oh geezus ... just people with comprehension issues or wanting to turn this into a "thing"

gimme a break I heard it live and understood it clearly the first time...

Why is generous called terrible?

Generous? You do realise you have to pay for this service?

1) These games probably don't even shift copies so hardly great (sound good at E3 tho mentioning Halo)
2) It wasn't made clear at E3 this is only until the end of the year
3) It was almost painted as a better PS+ because these games are 'yours to keep forever' when it's clearly inferior software
4) Maybe people think this is a hook - sign up for a year and you're only getting 6 mths of games?

Just my thoughts.

Yeah, no one could have made that mistake...
If AzBat's quote is correct, we are seeing a common misconception. Yes, every single gaming site in the world, mostly because they read and parrot each others' info, so if one gets it wrong and reports it wrong, that could well have an influence on other reports.

Yeah, no one could have made that mistake, unless you count hateful, biased sources like an official Xbox twitter account, the Official Xbox Magazine, and basically every single gaming site in the world.

yep... solidifies my opinion of reactionary, impatience and lack of comprehension in the current state of reporting whereby if you don't spew some nonsense immediately you are a day late.

Also explains why half the people interested in following things this generation couldn't even fathom the complexities to the point that half of what they say is wholly inaccurate.

yep... solidifies my opinion of reactionary, impatience and lack of comprehension in the current state of reporting whereby if you don't spew some nonsense immediately you are a day late.

Also explains why half the people interested in following things this generation couldn't even fathom the complexities to the point that half of what they say is wholly inaccurate.

:LOL: it the offical xbox twitter account. Ms doesnt even have a clue about what its doing at this point. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back