Short interview with Eric Demers (sireric, ATI) on 3DCenter

Interesting that his experience re: 3D-glasses match my own exactly. Perhaps there is hope still for support from ATI.

I thought it was a good read. Pity about the SSAA, though. I was dreaming of gamma-corrected SSAA on the R3x0, but apparently that's not to be. SSAA would still be nice for older titles, but without the gamma-correction, it becomes less exciting.

I wonder if nV is at all considering implementing 3dfx's V5 SSAA in a future card?

SirEric said:
There's still not a single PC solution out there that gives AA quality like we do. Not only do we have a programmable pattern (which is currently set to sparse), we are also the only company offering gamma-corrected AA, which makes for a huge increase in quality. Honestly, we've looked at the best 8x and even "16x" sampling solutions, in the PC commercial market, and nobody comes close to our quality.
I wish more ATi folks would toot their own horns about some of their strengths like this. 8)

A good interview, worth the read.

At least it wasn't a blanket no on SSAA support but it sure looks like the case consdering:

1) Bigger performance hit.
2) Huge resources to add to windows.
3) No gamma correction.

ATI's 9700 technology demo once hyped a combination of multi/super-sampled as the "ideal effect". I wonder if this combination of AA would offer gamma correction?

I realize Sireric used the word trade-off and very understandable but many would enjoy some level of super-sampled to improve the gaming experience. I understand the huge resources but I paid a huge price tag for the products I have purchased based on the R3XX family.

I never hyped super-sampled at any time -I didn't hype a world without limits -I didn't hype anything -ATI did. This is not a knock on ATI at all but someone trying to improve their gaming experience and voicing a view.

I was thinking about SSAA, and it might be possible through our sRGB mechanism to support gamma corrected SSAA (we support gamma compression into the FB, and gamma-decompression out of texture).

However, the support effort is really the issue. Man, there's so much work now (features and performance and bug fixes) already.

Assuming your upcoming cards would be able to support gamma-corrected SSAA in the same manner, I think it would be a very nice bonus for all DX9-Radeon users, and a great show of your commitment to your customers.

ATi seems to be doing well now, why not invest some of the big bucks you're making in more people to work on SSAA now (and bug fixes/compatability later)? :)

However, the support effort is really the issue. Man, there's so much work now (features and performance and bug fixes) already.

How would it generate support if you say added it as an unsupported option under direct3d compatability settings.

digitalwanderer said:
SirEric said:
There's still not a single PC solution out there that gives AA quality like we do. Not only do we have a programmable pattern (which is currently set to sparse), we are also the only company offering gamma-corrected AA, which makes for a huge increase in quality. Honestly, we've looked at the best 8x and even "16x" sampling solutions, in the PC commercial market, and nobody comes close to our quality.
I wish more ATi folks would toot their own horns about some of their strengths like this. 8)

Why is it that I couldn't even tell you the name of an ATI PR person, but I could fling out several current or ex-nVidia PR reps? That's not right.

This above is wonderful, but sireric has a real job, and it is not a good use of his time to do this kind of thing except on relatively rare occasions. If I was them I'd take Richard Huddy and make him top PR dog and send him out full-time to trumpet the gospel.

The 9800 XT's already support a variable fan, and will throttle back that fan when the temperature is low, and vice-versa. We have to be careful to maintain a very silent operation when using this. We don't want our fan to become a leaf blower when you start running some 3D apps! And as far as perfectly silent operation, even in 2D there's some heat that you need to dissipate. There are various cooling solutions out there that would allow silent operation (I use a Zalman on my 9700p), at least in 2D. Our AIBs are certainly welcome to investigate those (and at least one has used this), as is ATI.

nVidia will never live that down. :LOL:

geo said:
Why is it that I couldn't even tell you the name of an ATI PR person, but I could fling out several current or ex-nVidia PR reps? That's not right.
You've never heard of Richard "7 of 9" Huddy? ;)

-Sascha.rb

nggalai said:
geo said:

-Sascha.rb

Really? I thot he was developer relations guy for Europe. He is good, but they need to trot him out more often, and use him to be more proactive in relations with the big websites, mags, etc.

geo said:
nggalai said:
geo said:

-Sascha.rb

Really? I thot he was developer relations guy for Europe. He is good, but they need to trot him out more often, and use him to be more proactive in relations with the big websites, mags, etc.

He is. IIRC, he was part of the Dev-Rel group for Nvidia, before they left and formed their own consultancey as "The Collective". They were then instantly signed up to work Dev-Rel for ATI.

Richard is quite opinionated (in a good way) from what I've seen of the stuff he's said in public, but he doesn't work for PR. It's refreshing the way he says what he thinks, rather than tip-toeing around issues like most developers (Gabe Newell excepted).

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
He is. IIRC, he was part of the Dev-Rel group for Nvidia, before they left and formed their own consultancey as "The Collective". They were then instantly signed up to work Dev-Rel for ATI.

Richard is quite opinionated (in a good way) from what I've seen of the stuff he's said in public, but he doesn't work for PR. It's refreshing the way he says what he thinks, rather than tip-toeing around issues like most developers (Gabe Newell excepted).

Code Mafia.

Now that Andrzej is doing the UK PR over here for ATI, the first thing he did was hook up with Richard. It seems that Richard may well be wheeled out to a few UK press over here now.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:

Richard Huddy is the CEO of Code Mafia, who are contracted currently as European Dev-Rel for ATI. He not PR in anyway, being very techical and very honest ;-)

If you think he's honest in interviews, try asking him a few questions in person especially after he's had a few pints... :)

He used to be at NVIDIA European Dev-rel, but he (and a few others) left to set up Code Mafia.

geo said:
digitalwanderer said:
SirEric said:

This above is wonderful, but sireric has a real job, and it is not a good use of his time to do this kind of thing except on relatively rare occasions. If I was them I'd take Richard Huddy and make him top PR dog and send him out full-time to trumpet the gospel.
ATi's PR people have a different approach than nVidia's. ATi PR tends to try and keep the focus on their product and not try and make it a personality contest. I kind of respect 'em for that.

Pete said:
And dig said he didn't know the name of an ATi PR rep. ;)
When? 'Cause that ain't so, I know the names of quite a few PR folks at ATi. John, Carrie, and a whole bunch more. They're really, really great about answering questions and always reply promptly to any e-mails I send. (I mean it, they've been super-great to me! :D )

Back