Microsoft Xbox E3 2013 Events - Xbox: A new Generation of Games Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone want to see what happens if you plug your Xbox,s HDMI cable into the Xbox one HDMI input .

My bet instant backwards compatibility ....seen a few videos where this has been asked by the interviewer and the Microsoft guys just smiles and says I can't talk about that yet :) :) :)

You'd get the 360 feed through the Xbox One, but can you be signed in on both systems at the same time?

I don't see why not, since you can log in on other devices already. It would be neat if you could control a connected 360 with the X1 UI, like with Smartglass apps.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd get the 360 feed through the Xbox One, but can you be signed in on both systems at the same time?

I don't see why not, since you can log in on other devices already. It would be neat if you could control a connected 360 with the X1 UI, like with Smartglass apps.

Would be even cooler if the new Kinect One could be used with the XB360 Kinect games via some uber smartglass backwards compat deal.

Anyone want to see what happens if you plug your Xbox,s HDMI cable into the Xbox one HDMI input .

My bet instant backwards compatibility ....seen a few videos where this has been asked by the interviewer and the Microsoft guys just smiles and says I can't talk about that yet :) :) :)

So by unplugging my Xbox 360 HDMI cable from input 3 of my TV I can plug it into the input of the XBone and run it in pass through?
At last we have a way of continuing to use our 360's!

Honestly, we don't know that yet. The talk has gone from multiple "family" playing the same game at the same time to only one "family" member can be playing a shared game and the other nine are screwed. If it's the later, than clearly, this solution isn't as nifty as I originally thought. I don't see why all ten "family" members can't be playing ten different games at the same time.

True. I agree with you. As a consumer this isn't exactly the best set of circumstances. Why do I have to pay for Gold to watch Netflix on my 360 when I can watch it for free on my Western Digital Plus that only cost $99 anyway? I get the idea that it is annoying, but I don't pay for Gold to watch Netflix, I'd pay for it anyway, so in the end it has zero impact on me or anybody else that would already be paying for Gold.

Cross game party chat, for one. Which, all the Sony fans will be very happy to find out they finally have the ability to do so if the purchase a PS4. I can be doing God knows what, while Azbat is playing Red Dead Redemption and NavNuc is playing Crackdown and we can all be in a party chatting back and forth. Sure, we could just be talking on the phone, but that would be annoying because I don't want Azbat to have my phone number because I don't like him that much.

Its things like cross game party chat that Live offers that actually make the game playing experience better, even though it doesn't really impact the game itself. That's what I think people are completely failing to realize. That all of these "extra" functions and functionality of the One that aren't strictly "game related" in terms of IQ, AI, etc.. make playing games a more fulfilling experience. Cross game party chat, for example, doesn't make playing Borderlands any more fun directly. But the fact that I can play Borderlands and talk to people who are playing other games, makes the entire gaming experience far more enriching.

I can understand that for someone who already wants Gold for the multiplayer aspects these are nice features that are being added and/or upgraded. The problem is when any useful feature that has nothing to do with multiplayer is being locked behind Gold. They are attempting to force the rest of us with no interest in multiplayer onto their pay tier service in any way they can. That is more that just annoying. Annoying is paying for multiplayer and finding out you are a host rather than your money going to dedicated servers. This is the kind of practice that will turn people against them. Their current practices are actually turning people who would have been classified as "MS fanboys" into Sony evangelicals. And quite deservedly from my standpoint.

My thinking is if I connect my Xbox to my Xbox one ....I should in theory beable to still play all my Xbox live games I've brought over the years .maybe even all the games I've loaded on to my xbox's hard drive .
Interesting because maybe I won't need a disk in my old Xbox as all games are tired to my new gamer tag through Xbox one .

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing what if there's a blade on the Xbox one URL that allows me to turn on my old Xbox and play all games loaded onto my hard drive .
Plus snap it like you can with TV in theory I could be playing a Xbox one game get a invite from a friend to play halo 5 and just snap it in play some online with him .then just go back to my Xbox one game where I left off when I'm finished .

In the leaked PR document I was interested to see this...

Q: If I purchased an arcade game on Xbox 360, will I be able to play it on Xbox One?
A: We saw great consumer response to digital titles on Xbox 360, which can continue to be played on Xbox 360 consoles. We are exploring ways to bring gamers’ favorite content to Xbox One, but do not have any additional information to announce at this time.

Here are some other interested Q&A's...

Q: Do you have an “over the air” OTA plan?
A: Yes. Our vision is to enable live TV through Xbox One in every way that it is delivered throughout the world, whether that’s television service providers, over the air, or over the Internet. Unlike games where you can create a single technology that largely works around the world, the delivery of TV is very complex and we are working through the various technologies and policies around the world in order to make live TV available to all markets where Xbox One is available. This is a priority for us and we’ll share more details about our plans for live TV delivery over time.

Q: Are avatars coming to the new console? If so, are you introducing anything new for them?
A: We are making the new system more personal, putting you at the center of all your games, TV and entertainment. To do so, Xbox One leverages your natural identity while continuing to have avatars as an important part of your identity. We will share more in the coming months.

Q: Will there be advertisements built into the dashboard like Xbox 360? How many?
A: We designed the Xbox One dashboard to make your favorite games and entertainment even more front and center. Advertisements will not be visible on the home screen, so you only see what’s most important to you.

Q: Will you offer an Xbox Live subscription model for a cheaper console like you currently do with Xbox 360?
A: We are very excited about the interest we’ve seen in terms of consumer engagement with our retail partners after we announced Xbox One, and believe that $499 is a great value given the premium games and entertainment that are delivered in this system. We are always exploring new offers, but have nothing further to share at this time.

Q: What about the digital content such as movies and music that I purchased?
A: Xbox Video content purchased via Xbox Live Marketplace will be available to download and use on Xbox One.

Q: Will I be able to play my digital Xbox 360 games?
A: Xbox One hardware is not compatible with Xbox 360 games. We designed Xbox One to play an entirely new generation of games—games that are architected to take full advantage of state-of-the-art processors and the infinite power of the cloud. We care very much about the investment people have made in Xbox 360 and will continue to support it with a pipeline of new games and new apps well into the future.

Q: How is Xbox Live Gold membership different on Xbox One? What is included in the membership?
A: An Xbox Live Gold membership offers a premium interactive entertainment service on Xbox One that spans across games, TV shows and movies, music, sports and more. Xbox Live Gold provides the best multiplayer gaming experience. As a Gold member, gamers will get premier member benefits including fast matchmaking, instant switching between games and entertainment and the ability to capture, edit and share gameplay via Game DVR, Upload Studio and Twitch. Xbox Live Gold also offers an all in one entertainment experience with an enhanced with a programming guide, Skype video and voice calling and intuitive browse and search capabilities powered by Kinect.

We’re also announcing today a new benefit for Gold membership on Xbox One is the ability for anyone in your home to access many Xbox Live Gold benefits on your Xbox One at no additional cost. And the primary Xbox Live Gold membership travels with you to any Xbox One system.

Q: Will Xbox Live on Xbox One have a Silver membership offer, and if so, what benefits does this membership tier provide?
A: Xbox Live is free to any system owner with a broadband Internet connection and includes access to a robust catalog of gaming content on Xbox Marketplace, movies and TV shows on Xbox Video, personal profiles and Achievements and in certain regions, HDMI pass-through will enable you to watch live TV from your cable, telco or satellite set-top box through your Xbox One. You can also turn your smart device into the ultimate companion with Xbox SmartGlass.

Q: Will you offer a free trial of Xbox Live Gold when I purchase an Xbox One console?
A: A one-month Xbox Live Gold membership is included for free with every Xbox One purchase.

Q: Can I party chat or game chat between Xbox One and Xbox 360 Live users?
A: No. Because the new services of Xbox Live and the all new Kinect were designed to power next generation experiences (not compatible with Xbox 360), party chat and game chat will not be available between Xbox One and Xbox 360 Live members.

Lots of other cool Q&A's but those were the best.

Tommy McClain

I had the pleasure of seeing the XBOX One in person today, ok, it's huge no question about that. But unlike XBOX HUGE it's ok because it has the form factor it has.

Q: Can I party chat or game chat between Xbox One and Xbox 360 Live users?
A: No. Because the new services of Xbox Live and the all new Kinect were designed to power next generation experiences (not compatible with Xbox 360), party chat and game chat will not be available between Xbox One and Xbox 360 Live members.

...:mad:

Are our friends lists coming over? Is there going to be something that lets me know which set of my friends are One owners and which are 360? Am I going to instinctively know which of my friends I CAN chat with? I mean damn...not even voice is back compat! Now I'm ever more peeved that E3 onstage was nothing but games, I know...sounds crazy but I sure don't want to wait until TGS to see a finalized or at least 90% complete vision.

That seems like a bad move. It surely would help push the new system, if half your friends were chatting from XboxOne.

That seems like a bad move. It surely would help push the new system, if half your friends were chatting from XboxOne.

Indeed, that was my first thought, "what better way to market than having your friends constantly talk about how much 'better' the games/system is?"

They should present cross-system XB360/XB1 chat. They could present a friendly onscreen warning that the user is on XB360 so voice quality won't be as good as XB1 to XB1 or that certain options are not available. I'm a bit disappointed and surprised by this.

...:mad:

Are our friends lists coming over? Is there going to be something that lets me know which set of my friends are One owners and which are 360? Am I going to instinctively know which of my friends I CAN chat with? I mean damn...not even voice is back compat! Now I'm ever more peeved that E3 onstage was nothing but games, I know...sounds crazy but I sure don't want to wait until TGS to see a finalized or at least 90% complete vision.

This is a huge problem. Forget about used games, game rentals, backwards compatability, DRM, the $499 price tag, etc. None of those things matter to me or effect me at all.

I almost preordered One on Thursday, the reason why I didn't was because I still had questions about how the console would work and this was my biggest. Would my friends list transfer over from the 360 to the One? Can I still chat with my friends who haven't been able to purchase a new console yet and are still playing on the 360?

To tell me that I can't? It totally blows away the entire purpose of Live and the benefits of the system that are worth paying a monthly fee for. The reason that people are willing to pay a monthly fee for Live is in large part due to the fact that is where their friends are.

This completely sucks. If I have to create an entirely new friends list, I might as well do it on a PS4.

I guess this is a result of switching to Skype. I presume from now in it'll be unified, with Skype being the communications platform for Windows and working cross device. But it does mean that the old system is abandoned.

Why wouldn't friends lists work?

I see two possibilities:
1. They are moving all chat/video conferencing in-game or outside to Skype.
2. MS specifically mentioned in-game and party-chat won't be cross generation. In-game makes perfects sense since XB1 and 360 gamers won't join the same games. Lack of party chat could be because MS primarily sees parties as organizational vehicles to get people to join up in games (that's how I, and anybody I know use it). If this is the case MS could still allow direct chat with any friend.

My money is on option 1.)

And while listening to all your friends talk about how great the XB1 is can be a driver of sales, so can being left out of a community.

Cheers

Xbox 360 is getting an update to better resemble the X1 style dashboard. Maybe we will see some kind of cross communication.

They should at least replace video Kinect with a Skype app.

Lots of unanswed question here for Microsoft to answer .....my main question would be is my Xbox live sub valid on both machines .
Like I said plug my Xbox into my Xbox one use its controller play my existing games chat to my friends then switch back to playing my new games on Xbox one .

The same thing they showed with TV but instead of a TV feed its my oringnal Xbox 360 feed .

For this to work will I need two Xbox live memberships or will one cover both machines
That's the question i'd love a answer to :)

Cross platform chat would be great. However, if it's not working, then I agree with Shifty & Gubbi, it's probably because they're moving everything to Skype. They have been pretty straight forward about Live being completely rebuilt, but yeah it really sucks. I'm sure there will be problems with the Friends differential too. 100 on 360 & unlimited on XB1. If you had add more than 100 on XB1, then which 100 do you see on 360? To me it sounds like they are going to have a lot of issues with the 2 Live systems working together. There's no way to get around it. Maybe Gubbi is right & personal chat, Kinect Chat and/or voice messages between the 2 systems will still work? One good thing at least is that they're using Skype. So that means 360 users could use other Skype devices to chat with XB1 users. It's not ideal, but it's better than having a proprietary chat system that only XB1 owners get to use.

Tommy McClain

Lots of unanswed question here for Microsoft to answer .....my main question would be is my Xbox live sub valid on both machines .
Like I said plug my Xbox into my Xbox one use its controller play my existing games chat to my friends then switch back to playing my new games on Xbox one .

The same thing they showed with TV but instead of a TV feed its my oringnal Xbox 360 feed .

For this to work will I need two Xbox live memberships or will one cover both machines
That's the question i'd love a answer to :)

They have already answered this. Yes, you can plug a 360 into the HDMI In. What they didn't answer was the controller use. I don't see how you can use the XB1 controller. You'll be required to use the 360 controller. BTW, they even said anything with HDMI Out would work, even a PS3/4. LOL

As for Live subscription, they answered that one too. You only need the 1 subscription for both.

Tommy McClain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back