Microsoft Xbox E3 2013 Events - Xbox: A new Generation of Games Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would be only one person using the shared copy at a time, but with no restrictions on who, if you can freely change the people on your shared list.

I'm thinking of Halo system link co-op, and not needing to buy 2 copies of each game.

On PS3 do you need to log in as the original PSN owner (share password and profile) or can you log in as yourself?

Well. my sister plays the games I purchased on her account instead of mine. But she is on the same sistem of course. I guess you need the original PSN owner's account to download the game on the other console

Well. my sister plays the games I purchased on her account instead of mine. But she is on the same sistem of course. I guess you need the original PSN owner's account to download the game on the other console

This is correct.

Anyone (regardless of their PSN account status) can play any DD purchased game on a system with the original account. It doesn't matter which account you are logged into. However, one account can only be registered to 2 PS3s.

So I can have my account registered to the PS3 I keep at my home and the PS3 I keep in Utah and play my DD games in either place. Because I let my family in Utah use my PS3 when I am not around, they can also play my games using their accounts.

There are some quirks though. For instance, the PS+ version of little big planet 2 requires the PS+ user to be logged in to play online. So they have to be logged into a PS+ account to use my version of little big planet 2. Funny thing is is that it doesn't matter if their PS+ account actually has little big planet 2, they just need to be logged into one. But for the most part, I can let my daughter play the games I purchase with her cousins without letting either my daughter or her cousins log into my account.

And by something like this, you mean something completely awesome? The ability to share your games with up to ten other people who can access them at any time as long as one of the ten isn't already playing the game in question?

And as for the Gold being required, anybody who is planning on purchasing a One and not planning on purchasing a Gold membership is doing it wrong and will be sadly disappointed when they find out their brand new console is nothing more than a $500 blu-ray player.

I really like the idea. Seems to be a little bit of confusion on the exact mechanics. The way I read it now, My friend has access to my library, he and I can both be playing my copy of Halo 5 at the same time, however this places my entire library of games shared out as off limits. Basically, 1 friend can have access to my shared library at a time, the particular game they are playing is irrelevant. Sounds pretty good.

My problem is that from the beginning MS has been placing more and more features behind a subscription paywall. Originally this was just for multiplayer online games. Over time, they have added anything they could behind the paywall. This particularly bothers me in regards to access to media services. It is no different from my BR player or my Smart TV, or hell my PC, attempting to charge me a monthly service fee for access to Netflix. Just to have the ability to pay Netflix to watch the library costs me 5$ a month. That offends me to no end. Forza (3 I think) I stopped playing and sold soon after acquiring it when I found out that Gold was required not just for multiplayer racing, but even for swapping skins.

Let me ask you this, if you are not into online vs play, what exactly did Gold offer you that was so compelling?

I told my son about no back compat...he was less than thrilled, "so NONE of our games will work? Not even Halo?"

It looks like we're going to need a lot more games and feature demonstrations before we pick up a One that or Halo is going to need to floor us. We loved what we saw in Titanfall though!

I told my son about no back compat...he was less than thrilled, "so NONE of our games will work? Not even Halo?"

It looks like we're going to need a lot more games and feature demonstrations before we pick up a One that or Halo is going to need to floor us. We loved what we saw in Titanfall though!

The lack of backward compatibility is by far the most common complaint I'm hearing about it and why some will sit back and wait before buying one. They just don't understand why it can't play their old digital software when other devices do it all the time. At least it's likely the last time this will ever be an issue as it seems like they have forward compatibility covered.

Will that mean more frequent hardware updates?

Xbox Three (or Five) in 10 years to run all these launch games at 4K UHD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will that mean more frequent hardware updates?

Xbox Three (or Five) in 10 years to run all these launch games at 4K UHD.
Possibly. It'll mean the commoditising of the platform, so you can buy different tier products to suit your budget and requirements like a PC or TV or Mac.

Yep, but the higher end machines will play it at higher resolution and framerate.

ninja.gif

I'm just wondering about how important that really is for the majority of folks (why would they get the newer more expensive machine if devs are just targeting the old box and the games generally don't look that much better). More robust post-AA techniques kind of make it dubious unless they supersample to bullshot-level back-buffers (IMO). :) Frame-rates... well... I suppose.

(Just trying to sorta be devil's advocate)

The lack of backward compatibility is by far the most common complaint I'm hearing about it and why some will sit back and wait before buying one. They just don't understand why it can't play their old digital software when other devices do it all the time. At least it's likely the last time this will ever be an issue as it seems like they have forward compatibility covered.

Even Apple typically does one hardware revision back but yeah, going forward, the VM method certainly seems like they're forward comp. For a whale like me I think SONY is a little short-sighted in not bundling the camera because with no BC and nothing but just a Gamerscore tying me to the MSFT ecosystem (I keep forgetting about all my video content...which is a LOT but still...) the PS4 is a pretty compelling device.

Of course, my son is a level 97 in Halo so...you know...obviously THAT is compelling as well. For me, Alan Wake, Crackdown, Halo, Tales of Vesperia and Kameo are some of my favorites of this generation and 2.5 of those will be there again so it makes it a little difficult (I love inFamous1 but still prefer Crackdown) we'll see. I'd love to finally be notified when El Clasico is on while we're playing FIFA; I guess that's why as much as I think they had a great E3 I REALLY wanted to see more OS and Kinect but "the core" (who sure as hell don't even seem like they'll buy anyway) stopped that from happening :devilish:

I feel that as time rolls on the big splash Sony made with their DRM model and pricing will fade away and MS will get a chance to really demonstrate what Xbox One is capable of. If it lives up to the promise, they'll do just fine at launch...and lunch.

Thanks for sharing Tommy. I haven't got to see the model anywhere -not that I went to a video games store though- but I noticed after watching the unboxing of some of the most recent MS products -Surface for instance- that the design of the boxes is much more elegant.

No problem. It's definitely different. Seems all 3 designs don't have a whole in common with each other. I don't have a problem with the new design. Just that I expected it to be a little bit smaller.

I seemed that only one friend could use the shared copy of any particular game at a time from other MS quotes.

A system link/online multiplayer shared copy to play with a friend who doesn't have the game, is pretty amazing.

Yeah, that's how I read it too. I think the new sharing features will be a great selling point. They need to be more vocal about that.

This has been a big issue for me. Wife & son were less than thrilled too. We want the new system, but we want to be able to sell the old system to help pay for it. Plus, my entertainment center is small & doesn't have a lot of room. Removing the old system would help. Now we have to keep the old system & remember that also includes keeping Kinect. How many people have a spot where they can put 2 different Kinect sensors? I could have let lack of backward compatibility slide had the system been cheaper(<=$400), but at $500 it better have backward compatibility. I'm looking at waiting until XB1 hits $400 or getting a 360E 250gb when it hits $200. Subsidized plans are an unknown. Might consider but it would have to be a great deal.

Tommy McClain

I really like the idea. Seems to be a little bit of confusion on the exact mechanics. The way I read it now, My friend has access to my library, he and I can both be playing my copy of Halo 5 at the same time, however this places my entire library of games shared out as off limits. Basically, 1 friend can have access to my shared library at a time, the particular game they are playing is irrelevant. Sounds pretty good.

Honestly, we don't know that yet. The talk has gone from multiple "family" playing the same game at the same time to only one "family" member can be playing a shared game and the other nine are screwed. If it's the later, than clearly, this solution isn't as nifty as I originally thought. I don't see why all ten "family" members can't be playing ten different games at the same time.

My problem is that from the beginning MS has been placing more and more features behind a subscription paywall. Originally this was just for multiplayer online games. Over time, they have added anything they could behind the paywall. This particularly bothers me in regards to access to media services. It is no different from my BR player or my Smart TV, or hell my PC, attempting to charge me a monthly service fee for access to Netflix. Just to have the ability to pay Netflix to watch the library costs me 5$ a month. That offends me to no end. Forza (3 I think) I stopped playing and sold soon after acquiring it when I found out that Gold was required not just for multiplayer racing, but even for swapping skins.

True. I agree with you. As a consumer this isn't exactly the best set of circumstances. Why do I have to pay for Gold to watch Netflix on my 360 when I can watch it for free on my Western Digital Plus that only cost $99 anyway? I get the idea that it is annoying, but I don't pay for Gold to watch Netflix, I'd pay for it anyway, so in the end it has zero impact on me or anybody else that would already be paying for Gold.

Let me ask you this, if you are not into online vs play, what exactly did Gold offer you that was so compelling?

Cross game party chat, for one. Which, all the Sony fans will be very happy to find out they finally have the ability to do so if the purchase a PS4. I can be doing God knows what, while Azbat is playing Red Dead Redemption and NavNuc is playing Crackdown and we can all be in a party chatting back and forth. Sure, we could just be talking on the phone, but that would be annoying because I don't want Azbat to have my phone number because I don't like him that much.

Its things like cross game party chat that Live offers that actually make the game playing experience better, even though it doesn't really impact the game itself. That's what I think people are completely failing to realize. That all of these "extra" functions and functionality of the One that aren't strictly "game related" in terms of IQ, AI, etc.. make playing games a more fulfilling experience. Cross game party chat, for example, doesn't make playing Borderlands any more fun directly. But the fact that I can play Borderlands and talk to people who are playing other games, makes the entire gaming experience far more enriching.

To Brad on Region locking: Okay then, I was wrong. I was under the impression that all consoles were region locked to some degree. But as ERP stated, whether the game is region locked or not is up to the publisher of the game, and MS with the One is allowing publishers far more freedom than they've ever had in the history of console gaming. Also, my original point holds true. Just swap out Arkansas and the UK for Arkansas and California then.

I read the explanation of familly sharing as only one person can play the shared copy of a game at any given time, not that only one person can access the shared library at a time. Otherwise why have 10 spots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back