Microsoft Xbox E3 2013 Events - Xbox: A new Generation of Games Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes xboxone sharing is great, but I was speaking generally to the idea of digital content sharing being unheard of, its not.

And where did I ever say that? I said the way that the One is implementing the sharing of digital content is unheard of. You offered an iTunes example that simply isn't comparative. Unless there is a way for you, right now, to give me access to your iTunes account and share your content with me, it isn't comparable.

So why did you make the comparison if you agree the two situations aren't comparable?

For example. I saw no movement on DD prices for games on demand. Games on demand were priced exactly the same as disk games in store and in most cases priced higher for longer. Not even a symbolic $5 price cut to show good faith. Game sharing is really about enticing or training people to move towards DD. I'm not convinced yet.

That's a completely different issue. But MS couldn't move or adjust the pricing of the games on demand because they were dictated by policies that are no longer applicable to the One's release. MS has said repeatedly that prices will not be locked down to "It has to be $59.99", and that the publishers have full control over the pricing of their games.

Huh? How in the world is requiring people to come over to your house and connect to your network better than being able to share your media with somebody in the UK while you live in Arkansas, USA?

You're making a pretty big assumption that games can be shared across borders when we already know they are IP locking purchases.

You're making a pretty big assumption that games can be shared across borders when we already know they are IP locking purchases.

Add on to that Region locking anyone?

Correct me if I'm wrong but EU and US are in different regions for Xbox is that correct?

I've been under Sony's no region lock policy for quite a while so I'm not sure how they sub-divide the gaming world anymore.

Yeah, well, honestly.. He lost me when he told me I couldn't do things during lunch.

Counter to popular opinion that says breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I believe lunch is the most important. It provides not only an opportunity for sustenance, but also the ability to take a break from the busy work day and relax.

Now I'm being told I can't share my games or use the really cool features of the One during lunch?

Well screw it, I don't want one then.

ROFL I about lost my lunch when I read that! :LOL:

Great post.

Tommy McClain

But:

It looks like if any from my 10 members is playing a game from my library, any other member can't play any game.

That's how I read it. Sounds like you can only share one game at a time. Hey, that's perfectly fine. They're going to have limitations to curb abuse. Still can't wait to see this in action.

Tommy McClain

And where did I ever say that? I said the way that the One is implementing the sharing of digital content is unheard of. You offered an iTunes example that simply isn't comparative. Unless there is a way for you, right now, to give me access to your iTunes account and share your content with me, it isn't comparable.

So why did you make the comparison if you agree the two situations aren't comparable?

That's a completely different issue. But MS couldn't move or adjust the pricing of the games on demand because they were dictated by policies that are no longer applicable to the One's release. MS has said repeatedly that prices will not be locked down to "It has to be $59.99", and that the publishers have full control over the pricing of their games.

I never said the two models aren't comparable. I think they are in the sense they are both content sharing models. I may have misread your initial point. I thought you were suggesting that digital content sharing was unheard of. Which it's not and I'm not sure
that MS is better. Reason being is that I think you are more likely to share with people close to you rather than far away. In that sense I would rather see an iTunes model were you are can share with less people but there are no restrictions to that sharing if that's the tradeoff.
Your comparing their sharing policy to whats already on console,so it's a very low bar to begin with. I'm looking out further to see how it could be done better because it's the future and we will have to live with it for a long time.

To the issue of DD I think they are related. Like I said sharing is about training people to get used to and move to a DD model and training people to get used to these restrictions and DRM. It seems like a freebie up front,but it's one with price in the lone run. It's all about migrating people to their version of DD and IMO others do it better. I'm not jumping on the bandwagon of DD on consoles until I see some changes.

The 360 is MS machine they could put in place any pricing policy they wanted,they chose to not move on pricing, not even a little. It doesn't engender a lot of hope that things will change. You might want to assume that that policy of theirs will automatically mean improvements. I will believe it when I see it.

And that is how different than how current PS360 games are region locked now using physical media?

Please.

Talk about looking for a problem when there isn't one. Holy cow, you Sony fanboys are really a species all your own, aren't you?

Hey, I get it. I understand. All you Sony Fans did as much as you thought you could do in order to keep multiplayer free and did all your marches down Main Street and you wore all your ribbons and you all shouted at the top of your lunges you would never pay for on-line gaming! !@#@ Microsoft and the Xbox and Live and their paid on-line gaming.

And guess what? You lost that battle. If you want to play on-line with the PS4 you have to pay a monthly fee. The MS model not only worked, it WON the battle and FREE console multiplayer is now dead.

So now you're worried that the same thing is going to happen to game rentals and used game sales, so you are fighting as hard as you can to make sure that MS and it's Xbox console doesn't set YET ANOTHER precedent.

I get it. But you're going to lose this battle just like you lost the last battle because selling a console that is powerful enough to make gamers happy isn't going to be profitable on its own.

I never said the two models aren't comparable. I think they are in the sense they are both content sharing models. I may have misread your initial point. I thought you were suggesting that digital content sharing was unheard of. Which it's not and I'm not sure
that MS is better. Reason being is that I think you are more likely to share with people close to you rather than far away. In that sense I would rather see an iTunes model were you are can share with less people but there are no restrictions to that sharing if that's the tradeoff.

No, we might be misunderstanding each other here. You are the one that compared the sharing of content on the One with sharing of content on iTunes. You are the one that said they are comparable, and I'm the one that said they aren't even close.

Your comparing their sharing policy to whats already on console,so it's a very low bar to begin with. I'm looking out further to see how it could be done better because it's the future and we will have to live with it for a long time.

How did you get to that? I've said repeatedly (and it's what you originally took issue with) is that the content sharing on the One was FANTASICALLY SUPERIOR to anything that has ever been experienced in all of digital content sharing. That's how you came back with the iTunes example.

The 360 is MS machine they could put in place any pricing policy they wanted,they chose to not move on pricing, not even a little. It doesn't engender a lot of hope that things will change. You might want to assume that that policy of theirs will automatically mean improvements. I will believe it when I see it.

No, this is completely false. MS had no choice but to adhere to the pricing policies that were all agreed to before hand. Do you think it's a coincidence that all PS360 games were retailed at $59.99?

If I really wanted to be a prick, I'd call this collusion and say that the AG needs to investigate it. Unfortunately, our AG has far more important things to worry about than whether or not a couple of console manufacturers and game publishers all decided that the price would be the same on all the consoles.

But what MS has done here is allow the publishers to control used and rental game sales so they can now determine prices according to what system those games are being played on.

I'm not saying that games will be cheaper on the One than on the PS4, because that would be too obvious an example of collusion. What will happen instead is that games will be released on the One before they are released on the PS4. But I'm pretty sure that goes into the DRM thread instead of this one.

And that is how different than how current PS360 games are region locked now using physical media?

On XBOX360 games are region locked (some are region free though).

One PS3 game is region locked. I know this first hand as I regularly buy the JP/US version of games and play it on my AU console.

Please.

Talk about looking for a problem when there isn't one. Holy cow, you Sony fanboys are really a species all your own, aren't you?

Hey, I get it. I understand. All you Sony Fans did as much as you thought you could do in order to keep multiplayer free and did all your marches down Main Street and you wore all your ribbons and you all shouted at the top of your lunges you would never pay for on-line gaming! !@#@ Microsoft and the Xbox and Live and their paid on-line gaming.

And guess what? You lost that battle. If you want to play on-line with the PS4 you have to pay a monthly fee. The MS model not only worked, it WON the battle and FREE console multiplayer is now dead.

So now you're worried that the same thing is going to happen to game rentals and used game sales, so you are fighting as hard as you can to make sure that MS and it's Xbox console doesn't set YET ANOTHER precedent.

I get it. But you're going to lose this battle just like you lost the last battle because selling a console that is powerful enough to make gamers happy isn't going to be profitable on its own.

You're misunderstanding the PS system that is in place right now on the issue of region locking.

I can buy a EU/US/Japan version of a game and play them on my Japanese PS3 (or any other regioned console) no problem (except for a handful of titles).
And yes I can get the physical media I want to through outlets like play-asia, or simply buying different region PSN cards (through local gamestores, online, ebay, play-asia, whatever) to use on my regional accounts on EU/US/Japan/Taiwan/HK to get downloaded full games so that my main Japanese account can enjoy.

Last time I checked the Xbox 360 and even more so the Xbox One has multiple barriers preventing me from doing any of the above, and PS4 is going to allow me to continue to do everything I have just described.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's how I read it. Sounds like you can only share one game at a time. Hey, that's perfectly fine. They're going to have limitations to curb abuse. Still can't wait to see this in action.

Tommy McClain

Xbox Support (twitter) said all members can play your games, just different games.

Xbox Support (twitter) said all members can play your games, just different games.

Yeah, seen that. Wake me up when they figure out what the hell they're doing. LOL Either way I think the sharing plan is cool. I just hope they make it simple, but at the same time I don't it to be open to abuse such that they drop the whole idea.

Tommy McClain

You claimed it would be possible for Xbox One owners in the US and UK to access the same shared library. There is no indication this will be possible. There is in fact indications that US purchased games will literally refuse to work if you try and run them outside the US.

So to answer your question, I could send any PS3 game (except Persona 4 Arena) to anyone with a PS3 anywhere in the world and they could play it. And if I had a digital version of a game it could be registered to my PS3 in the US, AND a PS3 anywhere else in the world at the same time.

Any idea what kind of IP locking they plan? Like DVD Regions or single countries? If they plan the last option the shit will really hit the fan in the EU.

Xbox 360 E unboxing & comparison to Xbox 360 S...
It's barely smaller than the 360 S. I think this one will be more appealing when they do the price drop. I think I will hold off a tad longer.

Tommy McClain
Thanks for sharing Tommy. I haven't got to see the model anywhere -not that I went to a video games store though- but I noticed after watching the unboxing of some of the most recent MS products -Surface for instance- that the design of the boxes is much more elegant.

On a different note, I always have a lot of news to share but the news and rumour thread is closed.... And those news are kind of off-topic here. I am thinking about creating an official Xbox One discussion thread, and I wish I could magically get to create one, but it can be a chore. I will think about that, though.

I think it would be a good idea if moderators could create an official thread for every console so we could add news and discuss them every day.

I expect those threads to be very lively, telling each other things that are total news to us.

Any idea what kind of IP locking they plan? Like DVD Regions or single countries? If they plan the last option the shit will really hit the fan in the EU.

It sure seems like individual countries based on what they're saying right now.

It's probably the same as the existing system, region locking has always been a publisher decision. Even back as far as Sega Genesis a publisher COULD release a game with no region restrictions they just usually didn't.
The primary motivation was that it was common for companies to sub license products in different territories and it was seen as a way to protect the value of that sub license.

I guess they might be region locking for a different reason, possibly because of the cloud servers, who knows.

This article says importing the box is nigh impossible for countries not supported at launch. Hmmm, I suppose that could just be an issue of the validation servers not being up, but once they are, games are per region. Per country games would be problematic for stock control.

Tommy McClain

I seemed that only one friend could use the shared copy of any particular game at a time from other MS quotes.

A system link/online multiplayer shared copy to play with a friend who doesn't have the game, is pretty amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back