Microsoft Xbox E3 2013 Events - Xbox: A new Generation of Games Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
To shared access or your games in the cloud?

Shared access:

fuvtz4.jpg

Each time MS does something that has me reconsidering a bit, something like this comes along.

And by something like this, you mean something completely awesome? The ability to share your games with up to ten other people who can access them at any time as long as one of the ten isn't already playing the game in question?

And as for the Gold being required, anybody who is planning on purchasing a One and not planning on purchasing a Gold membership is doing it wrong and will be sadly disappointed when they find out their brand new console is nothing more than a $500 blu-ray player.

And by something like this, you mean something completely awesome? The ability to share your games with up to ten other people who can access them at any time as long as one of the ten isn't already playing the game in question?

And as for the Gold being required, anybody who is planning on purchasing a One and not planning on purchasing a Gold membership is doing it wrong and will be sadly disappointed when they find out their brand new console is nothing more than a $500 blu-ray player.

Maybe I'm misreading but it looks like you will share your games AND xbox live gold to your 10 members

aybe I'm misreading but it looks like you will share your games AND xbox live gold to your 10 members

I think you're misreading that. That would be completely insane from MS's perspective.

It's fantasically amazing enough that they are allowing you to share your game with 10 other people who have Gold Live accounts, that's completely unheard of with digital content. To share your Gold account as well would be crazy nuts.

I think the confusion is that people who don't have Gold live memberships can use your Gold Live membership as long as they are using your actual console.

So if they don't have a Gold account, they can still access all your stuff provided they are using your console. If they have their own Gold accounts and you add them to the "family" subset of your "friends" list, then up to ten of them can access all your games from anywhere in the world on any One console.

Two different circumstances, with two different distinctions allowing an unprecedented level of sharing of content.

ve.

It's fantasically amazing enough that they are allowing you to share your game with 10 other people who have Gold Live accounts, that's completely unheard of with digital content. .

Well not really,I can already share my ITunes music legally for example and it doesn't require a special account. "Fantastically awesome completely unheard" ...I think you're trying a bit too hard.

Actually one of the execs did say you can share one Gold account with everybody in your household & that includes across multiple devices in your home. It's possibly they're confusing household with the 10 family members. Or it's possible all of this is in flux & they're making it up as they go along? LOL

I do agree with Rancid, being able to share your content with up to 10 friends is awesome. I think it will eventually be one of the biggest reasons for people to buy the XB1, but then again with all the negative chatter, it wouldn't take much. LOL

Tommy McClain

Actually one of the execs did say you can share one Gold account with everybody in your household & that includes across multiple devices in your home. It's possibly they're confusing household with the 10 family members. Or it's possible all of this is in flux & they're making it up as they go along? LOL

I do agree with Rancid, being able to share your content with up to 10 friends is awesome. I think it will eventually be one of the biggest reasons for people to buy the XB1, but then again with all the negative chatter, it wouldn't take much. LOL

Tommy McClain

DD will for some time have to deal with the issues of bandwidth which can be terrible depending on your country. As internet gets faster it seems games get bigger requiring more cap.
It's great for those that have it but for awhile I don't see the disk dying out anytime soon. Which is good because it will offer DD competition.

posted by a hit and run user on GAF and we don't know if he is legit yet but here is his Q&A in the Xbox One Family Share thread ... many items like Selling digital licenses and digital renting which have been hinted at are there and other things which were confirmed over the past two days and some that is either fact or guesses

Originally Posted by maxlmus:

Q. Can multiple people play the same game from the shared library at the same fucking time?
A. Yes they can. Licence owner and ONE other guy. TWO guys at the same time.

Q. Really, at the same time, including downloadable content and multiplayer? Halo5?
A. Really, really.

Q. So two guys playing the same game at the same time is great, but how about 9 other "family members"?
A. If nobody is playing any of these "family members" can play a game

Q. Let's see. Me and my friend Bob playing Halo 5 from my shared library. Can my friend Jim play any other game from my shared library at the same time while me and Bob playing Halo 5?
A. No, he can not.

Q. Who are these "family members" anyway?
A. Complete strangers who happened to be 30+ days in each other friend's list

Q. So can I make my friend Bob a "family member"?
A. Yes you can. Even your friend Jim. Up to 10.

Q. I'm not a friend with Bob anymore. Hate the motherfacker. Can I un-share fucking game?
A. Yes you can. And you can add new "family member" no charge.

Q. Is Xbox Live Gold required for sharing?
A. Yes it is.

Q. So MS decided to enforce draconian DRM because they hate us, true GAMERS?
A. Yep.
Just kidding. No they did not. The very first decision they made was: "every single game should be downloadable day one and playable from the hard drive without disk in the tray". The future is digital. Everything else - bunch of compromises between publishers, developers, retailers and yes consumers. They implemented flexible framework which will allow scenarios no other digital store has ever dreamed of. Including but not limited to:
- buying,
- sharing,
- gifting,
- giving up license,
- selling digitally (not at lunch),
- renting (not at lunch),
- trading in
- and of course destroying fucking game.

Q. How about Kinect? Will it watch me? Will it report everything to PRISM? Can I turn it completely off.
A. Kinect 2.0 is really (I mean really) good and it will cost you additional 100 bucks at lunch. No. No. Only when you turn xbox off.

Q. Is "power of cloud" a PR bullshit? I know for a fact MS needs 300K servers for DRM and reporting to PRISM.
A. No it's not a PR bullshit. You will see benefits in the launch games. For example dedicated servers for every multiplayer game and enhanced AI. Things to come - worlds without boundaries, very complex lighting, etc.

Q. So with a power of cloud XBOX ONE is more powerful than PS4?
A. Nope. About the same for all means and purposes.

Q. Sounds good but why they did not communicate it properly?
A. They tried and failed. Until people actually try and see all benefits.

Q. I don't care. I'm a lonely guy without internet connection, family, friends, girlfriend and even fucking dog. I also hate M$ in general and xbone particularly.
A. Good. Go buy PS4. Hate is overrated and PS4 is a good console.

Really?

Where does it say that?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2688

And if that's the case, I'd love to have access to your iTunes account. How do I access it?

You can share with 5 devices on your home network and once you authorize those devices the music is on the device and you can then untether yourself and play the music all at the same time. I have my music collection from one purchase on my laptop, my iPad, my wifes Mac mini and her iPhone plus my blackberry. If I wanted to I could have a friend over,have hook up to my home network and have my entire collection with him. It's actually in a way better than the Xbox setup. In some ways not as good.
Your characterization of Xbox sharing as completely unheard is over the top.Digital content sharing is not new.

You can share with 5 devices on your home network and once you authorize those devices the music is on the device and you can then untether yourself and play the music all at the same time. I have my music collection from one purchase on my laptop, my iPad, my wifes Mac mini and her iPhone plus my blackberry. If I wanted to I could have a friend over,have hook up to my home network and have my entire collection with him. It's actually in a way better than the Xbox setup. In some ways not as good.
Your characterization of Xbox sharing as completely unheard is over the top.Digital content sharing is not new.

Huh? How in the world is requiring people to come over to your house and connect to your network better than being able to share your media with somebody in the UK while you live in Arkansas, USA?

The One sharing IS completely unheard of. Unless I can access your iTunes account, RIGHT NOW, from where I am and from where you are, then what the One is allowing is leagues beyond what you can do with iTunes.

The multiple device thing is a complete red herring as Live allows all that currently, and will continue to do so with the One. They've demonstrated as such, and even gone beyond (as has Sony), in terms of allowing people on mobile devices to participate in game play, in addition to accessing content.

How you can't see the difference between requiring somebody to physically come to your house in order to obtain your "shared" data, and being able to do it all remotely from the cloud without ever having actually met the person is simply beyond me. It's as if you've already made up your mind and are now just trying to justify your position.

Q. So two guys playing the same game at the same time is great, but how about 9 other "family members"?
A. If nobody is playing any of these "family members" can play a game

Q. Let's see. Me and my friend Bob playing Halo 5 from my shared library. Can my friend Jim play any other game from my shared library at the same time while me and Bob playing Halo 5?
A. No, he can not.

Then, only 1 family member can play a game from my shared library?

posted by a hit and run user on GAF and we don't know if he is legit yet but here is his Q&A in the Xbox One Family Share thread ... many items like Selling digital licenses and digital renting which have been hinted at are there and other things which were confirmed over the past two days and some that is either fact or guesses

Yeah, well, honestly.. He lost me when he told me I couldn't do things during lunch.

Counter to popular opinion that says breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I believe lunch is the most important. It provides not only an opportunity for sustenance, but also the ability to take a break from the busy work day and relax.

Now I'm being told I can't share my games or use the really cool features of the One during lunch?

Well screw it, I don't want one then.

Huh? How in the world is requiring people to come over to your house and connect to your network better than being able to share your media with somebody in the UK while you live in Arkansas, USA?

All of my family and friends could share my shitty WiMAX internet connection...if they come over to my place.:LOL:

Though some of them would have to buy a plane ticket first...:LOL:

Now I'm being told I can't share my games or use the really cool features of the One during lunch?

:LOL:

Yeah, well, honestly.. He lost me when he told me I couldn't do things during lunch.

Counter to popular opinion that says breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I believe lunch is the most important. It provides not only an opportunity for sustenance, but also the ability to take a break from the busy work day and relax.

Well screw it, I don't want one then.
Best post of the week, sir. You win.

The One sharing IS completely unheard of. Unless I can access your iTunes account, RIGHT NOW, from where I am and from where you are, then what the One is allowing is leagues beyond what you can do with iTunes.

The multiple device thing is a complete red herring as Live allows all that currently, and will continue to do so with the One. They've demonstrated as such, and even gone beyond (as has Sony), in terms of allowing people on mobile devices to participate in game play, in addition to accessing content.

How you can't see the difference between requiring somebody to physically come to your house in order to obtain your "shared" data, and being able to do it all remotely from the cloud without ever having actually met the person is simply beyond me. It's as if you've already made up your mind and are now just trying to justify your position.

Yes xboxone sharing is great, but I was speaking generally to the idea of digital content sharing being unheard of, its not. Xbox one has pluses but also some restrictions. It is not yet at the awesome level for me. It may be new for games.
I look at the entire picture. For DD for games to become awesome for me it has way to go to match other models currently in place for other media.
Speaking specifically to the iTunes example, overall IMO its better.it has limits bit it has some big upsides.
For example. I saw no movement on DD prices for games on demand. Games on demand were priced exactly the same as disk games in store and in most cases priced higher for longer. Not even a symbolic $5 price cut to show good faith. Game sharing is really about enticing or training people to move towards DD. I'm not convinced yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back