XBox One, PS4, DRM, and You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I should stop being a couch potato and create an Opt-in petition and campaign.

Just select the features of the prior policies I liked, discard the ones I don't think make sense and ask MS to make an Opt-in capability at sign up. I'm sure we could create a reasonable DRM that gives the best of both worlds.

Let me know when you've got it done. I might sign my first petition. :)

Tommy McClain

Maybe I should stop being a couch potato and create an Opt-in petition and campaign.

Just select the features of the prior policies I liked, discard the ones I don't think make sense and ask MS to make an Opt-in capability at sign up. I'm sure we could create a reasonable DRM that gives the best of both worlds.
Yep, I have plenty of ideas already.

Just look at the bright side and things will be fine. I am pre-ordering the console in the Microsoft's Store now although I don't have a credit card -I had a bad experience with credit cards and decided to not use them ever since, long story- and I don't find the option to pay with Paypal.

Mr. Fox, he he, some people are living in effin' lollipop-land.

What they should do is spread the development wealth and make the Xbox One vms playable online to any device with a windows 8 kernel. Make an MS Steam.

Maybe. I don't think I would support myself though. There's a lot to be said for guaranteed hardware. I could see the SHAPE being one piece that might be hard to get around, no?

Anyway, I can see it happening years from now. Provide it too soon & you risk cannibalizing the XB1.

Tommy McClain

Mr. Fox, he he, some people are living in effin' lollipop-land.
I'm honest about my opinions! :LOL:
There are things that make business sense, and others that don't, if they can argue that there's a gain to be had, more power to them.

So to make everyone happy like someone already said why doesn't ms just allow people to opt in to a sharing program. You take the disk home and you either play it as usual without checks or you register to share it digitally but the game gets disabled outside your profile.
You be the ability to share but give up the right to resell.Possible?

This is just the beginning. Some people now want to speak out after what happened to the Xbox One and they realised how they can get results by speaking out. As a consequence, they are creating a new hashtag #freeonlinePs4 to protest and ask Sony to bring back free online.

I can understand the initial Xbox One outrage, it was something new and so on, but things are getting out of hand after what happened today, I think.

Let em. Sony deserves some of their wrath for a change. LOL

Tommy McClain

Just look at the bright side and things will be fine. I am pre-ordering the console in the Microsoft's Store now although I don't have a credit card -I had a bad experience with credit cards and decided to not use them ever since, long story- and I don't find the option to pay with Paypal.

Go to... Home > Account > Payment

There's an option there for adding PayPal.

Tommy McClain

@Cyan - Gamestop was up 5% in afterhours trading on the MS news. However, I still think this revised system will hurt used sales.

* Watching comments here many will go DD only (sample sizes not applicable, hehe). This takes disc out of retail.
* If they add back in more of the missing DD features, it adds value over disc. Taking more from brick & mortar.
* The old system ability of getting DD with each disc actually kept more $$$ in brick & mortar

Be interesting to watch and how retail stores evolve around the new systems or if they will flounder and fail like most music and then movie stores.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it, GameStop had some positive comments about the old system before we ever knew what it was. So I think they knew that it gave greater value to the disc based copy, which keeps money in brick and mortar stores. GS saw that it was the better long-term solution over a true DD concept. IMO or course. With both Ps4 and X1 now offering same day DD it is a faster path to death for retail.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'll buy if they put back in game sharing and the ability to install a disc and render the disc useless while gaining the advantage of DD

@eastmen

Why not a prompt when you insert the disc.
1) register to account and allow all sharing and DD features. Disc becomes useless and if you try to trade it to GameStop they will reject it. -negative is any offline console could accept it.
2) keep disc unregistered, no DD benefits, disc must be in tray for playing. Fast switching is now limited.

The missing feature I am most upset about is if I go DD only can I play on two consoles at the same time? That would have saved me a bunch of money, I really hate paying $120 for one game just because my family can't share! lol

@eastmen

Why not a prompt when you insert the disc.
1) register to account and allow all sharing and DD features. Disc becomes useless and if you try to trade it to GameStop they will reject it. -negative is any offline console could accept it.
2) keep disc unregistered, no DD benefits, disc must be in tray for playing. Fast switching is now limited.

The missing feature I am most upset about is if I go DD only can I play on two consoles at the same time? That would have saved me a bunch of money, I really hate paying $120 for one game just because my family can't share! lol

1) They would have to have a way to do this. 24 hour online checks was the way to do it. without it the system doesn't work

2)not going to happen without a way to check whats going on.

A lot of great features are gone and people seem happy about it. It boggles the mind.

1) They would have to have a way to do this. 24 hour online checks was the way to do it. without it the system doesn't work

There is a wide continuum of options that could have been used. A 24 hour near-global kill switch is one of those options, but not the only one.

Why, for example, does a game that has been validated every day for 60 days still subject to the kill switch on the 61st?
Why would a digital-only game that should have the means to render itself inoperative on any console but the one that downloaded it, be subject to the check-in requirement?

All the sharing functionality is going through intermediary Live servers. The check-in happens by virtue of using the function, which potentially may already reside behind a paywall. I haven't found the one-stop shop of coherent information on all the corner cases.

Absent some kind of built-in disc shredder or RFID tag like Sony's disc patent, the inability to hold your entire library hostage does mean that people could use offline consoles to shuffle that physical disc around. If the physical disc itself is duplicated, it could be pirated.
Any reaction would have to happen with incidental serial number checks for any console foolish enough to wander online with a duplicated serial number, and absent a way to establish a chain of trust there's difficulty in guessing if there's been a mistake or a false positive.
Sure, there could be ways for honest gamers to register their product, to opt in or out, or to use the self-same participating retailers as a link in the chain to establish some amount of credibility.
Any number of escrow, accumulated goodwill, failsafe, sunset, reciprocal agreements, etc. could be evaluated.

Instead, the bugbears of physical distribution seriously bastardized the digital side of the platform.
Why would the inability of the physical medium to detect if it has been transferred mean everything save HDMI pass-thru and Blu-ray playback has to re-enact the prison sequence The Running Man?

A lot of great features are gone and people seem happy about it. It boggles the mind.
Don't feel too bad. Microsoft seems to be saying that a bunch of those digital features everyone keeps insisting can only happen with a kill switch may eventually make their way back for digital games.
That might be good, right?

1) Of course they would, have online check for disc-less and while you share,then untick the "i want to enable digital library sharing" option and the check stops. handy for when you dont have a net connection

and the biggest plus. No kill switch

all it takes it a bit of thought and looking at the situation from the customers viewpoint

@Cyan - Gamestop was up 5% in afterhours trading on the MS news. However, I still think this revised system will hurt used sales.

* Watching comments here many will go DD only (sample sizes not applicable, hehe). This takes disc out of retail.
* If they add back in more of the missing DD features, it adds value over disc. Taking more from brick & mortar.
* The old system ability of getting DD with each disc actually kept more $$$ in brick & mortar

Be interesting to watch and how retail stores evolve around the new systems or if they will flounder and fail like most music and then movie stores.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it, GameStop had some positive comments about the old system before we ever knew what it was. So I think they knew that it gave greater value to the disc based copy, which keeps money in brick and mortar stores. GS saw that it was the better long-term solution over a true DD concept. IMO or course. With both Ps4 and X1 now offering same day DD it is a faster path to death for retail.

Yeah, GameStop investors who actually read closer about the old Xbox One system should have been happier about it, no more unauthorized lending of games or selling of games online means that either buying a new copy or going to an authorized used games retailer, which for most people would have been GameStop. No doubt in the short run, it likely actually would have brought them more money.

That company really needs to keep on mind that a digital distribution model that doesn't involve them in some way (like the current one now) will eventually kill most of their business. I strongly suspect most of the perks reserved for physical pre-order purchases will instead be shifted to digital downloads. Since you can't resell the game, why don't those people get the best perks of all?

Labels weren't jumping to support them in the early days. They had to prove their case in the marketplace first. It may be the same with MS, which is why they are leaving the possibility open that sharing may come back by clarifying that the features won't be available "at launch".
If labels didn't want to support iTunes, they didn't have too; Apple certainly had no gun to their heads. If you cast your mind back, Apple were barely out of bankruptcy in 2002-03 and had zero influence in terms of music. They made a compelling case to labels based on the current and projected sales of the iPod.

Do you really think the shared library idea came from publishers? That they volunteered a model which would encourage game sharing and lost sales? I doubt that very much.

Except by ensuring that they could assume some level of connectivity and therby build features on that not having such a backlash when people found out you needed to be connected to use said features as most would be connected anyways. Now with no online requrement no level of connectivity is assured anymore thus some of their ideas may no longer be feasable.

Which features were also dependant on the 24hr/check in?

I've had a nights sleep on this .......
My thoughts are this for me personally Microsoft's original plans where forward thinking they tried to go to a digital future with the same benifits as the existing disk based system .I.E game sharing with friends and the ability to sell or gift your digital games .
The draw back was 24 hour check ins harsher DRM to try and stop piracy and abuse of the system to obtain free games .

The problem was that no one in the media was shouting from the roof tops the benefits of this system and educating the mass on the pros and cons .........the negatives where concentrated on and the positives rarely talked about .

you could also argue Microsoft done a poor job of promoting the positives themselfs but without the game journalists reporting the pros and cons it was impossible to get the pros out there to the masses .instead the game industry journalists started reporting on the up roar caused by the new policies which lead to more negative head lines about there policy and more people attacking the policy .

Now the policy changes the same game journalist are talking about the pros of the policy that have been lost and lamenting there loss .

What will be the long term out come from this .....I don't no but one thing I'm certain off is this ........now the microscope will be turned on Sony they have been given a free ride over going to a pay to play multi player system because there was a bigger story out ......they were given a free ride other a poor E3 from a game prospective as well.

Now they have to match Microsoft on features and games one to one because if they can't the press will blow it up for hits just like the used Microsoft's forward looking policies and gamers fears about them for hits .

Look at it this ......the negativity that over shadowed the games and features Microsoft showed is gone all that's left is the games and user experience .
Microsoft have the games E3 proves that they have kinect a very impressive piece of tech ..........OK there £100 more expensive but they can counter that by just throwing a game in with that price .

The game just got very interesting because Sony just lost there free pass in my book as long as there was so much negativity around Microsoft no one was really looking at what Sony was or was not bring to the table now they will be looking .........its already started the mob seem to think they can force Sony to back down about paying to play multiplayer .

Oh boy this is going to get bloody from here on in :)

Remember these are just my opinions based on what I'm all ready seeing and reading on the net :) :)

Which features were also dependant on the 24hr/check in?

None are. However features like the cloud being available to every game are far more likely to be viable when you can ensure a network connection is present which the likelihood of it existing goes up vastly once you start requiring daily or shorter check ins. Aka people less likely to go places where it can't connected.

Can't wait till next generation when sony and ms both go Digital download only. The complete 180 people like you will do will make it well worth it in entertainment value alone
Why are you waiting for the generation after the next generation? Buy digitally now. :-?

With the exception of Uncharted, all of my Vita games were digital (Rayman, Little Big Planet, Super Stardust, Gravity Rush, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, MotorStorm RC, Resistance Burning Skies and Stranger's Wrath HD. The Last of Us was the first PS3 game I'd bought on disc for a while (EDIT) and that was only because it was so bloody huge and I didn't relish the thought of downloading 24Gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back