XBox One, PS4, DRM, and You

Status
Not open for further replies.
That argument is a form of escapism and an effort to ignore the thruth that the problem exists. If I dont buy an XBone (which I wont), it doesnt mean that the issue is not there and doesnt mean that it doesnt pose a danger that will escalate further to become the norm in the market as other people are accepting such corporate tactics by their own consent. The last part is what makes the issue more serious

Were you ever gonna buy an XB1? Honest question. I do not think you were for a lot more reasons than the DRM *shrug*

I feel like the trolls, haters and those who embrace the past won. I embraced the idea of a digital library so that Inever had to have a disc. I embraced the idea of sharing my new digital library with my friends... that was gonna be a lot of games shared amongst ten people. We could cover every genre without the individual expense.

This is a terrible development. Im only glad about not having games I purchased disabled because of the 24 hr check in thing.

MS giveth and MS taketh away.

It's Sony that'll have to explain themselves to the publishers. I'm 100% certain it was a guerilla move behind their backs, to say that Sony won't require any DRM so all the blame would be shifted to publishers and MS. As a result the entire online community forgot just how much worse their E3 conference actually was.

So, while the publishers will accept the unchanged status quo for now, they will make Sony pay for this in the end.

Possibly. I still suspect that Microsoft wanted the DRM to encourage people to discount the value of physical disks, thereby encouraging them to buy off of the Microsoft XBL store, giving Microsoft the retail cut instead of GameStop / Amazon / whoever.

Microsoft has a distinct financial interest in getting people off of discs, at least as much as the publishers do.

Are all the tears due to looking sycophants for a bad DRM policy that MS has decided to correct? This is good news, they are listening and changed course.... Hats off to them for having enough courage to fix this.

Great..some of the features that X1 was going to do are now gone. I was actually looking forward to the disc giving you DD on any console you own, and the ease of moving from room to room without taking a disc. I need to read more but looks like it is ripped out.

I personally feel that it is now a step back, could they not find a good middle ground or were they in a panic over pre-order numbers?

you felt the same about steam, right?

you should link some of your past posts about steam...

No need. I put up with the restrictions on some PC games simply because I buy them so cheap. I should definitely be able to give them away and sell them if I choose though. That's always been my view.

theres no way they can make a opt in system now, dont be stupid. they cant do anything that will muddy the waters of the total capitulation. opt in would just lead to another backlash or the perception they didn't go all the way.

Wat? I said that "Microsoft may have poisoned the well of public opinion against all forms of DRM so that they now feel they have to throw the baby out with the bathwater".

Looks like I was right.

Hooray for me.

the consumer sucks. he cares about his video games but not things like the nsa coming from govt that actually effect our freedom :smile:
True but at least they accidentally prevented some additional aid to the NSA's work ;)

Haha... public campaign worked. Now just throw away kinect, drop price by 100 euro/dollar and you have a nice, if not ugly box :LOL:

Good work gamers!

F*** you Sony.

No offense - but this should be aimed at Microsoft. Not Sony.

Microsoft could have kept their grand DRM scheme in place with DD content and still changed disk based content back to what it was.

As a matter of fact, they could have given you the option to register your disks once purchased as "DD" or keep them disk based only and still separated the two policies. By only allowing a single title to be registered once as DD, they still limit the amount of piracy that can happen to 1 copy.

Don't get me wrong - I prefer the new way they've announced to their original idea. But blaming Sony in this case is just wrong. Microsoft could have chosen to innovate and still addressed the concerns of the anti-DRM crowd.

It doesn't need a call home to disable rental games, the time limit can simply be administered by the console from the moment of the download.

that's cool thanks... but it killed the family share plan where you can digitally share games across a group of friends

AND you have to play with disc in tray now if you buy a disc where before I could buy discs, play them as digital (no disc in tray) and trade them back in later)

no my digital purchases will be unable to trade in for any value and be a waste of money... compared to having value, unless they decide to offer that too but I can't see how now

this plan is worse IMO even though it's what the HC has been cryin for

I hope the full story about this DRM saga comes out one day, do you really think MS thought it was going alone when it conceived its DRM policies?

Massive win for consumers! Microsoft was dead wrong to try and launch a console with those features, and consumers responded overwhelmingly to get them to change their policies! :D I still think there price is a little too high right now versus Playstation 4, but I can now see myself purchasing this system in the future once the price comes down and the library builds up. Me and my housemate are going to split on the PS4 this Christmas and I will probably purchase the Xbox One during winter 2014.

F*** you Sony.

I don't think Sony designed/marketed an all-or-nothing DRM scheme that can't be modified in any way without completely discarding it.

Why couldn't DD be exempt from the 24 check? There are other ways of maintaining validation, particularly since DD has that initial download to rely on for a connection.

Why couldn't the primary console be exempt, while the remote or sharing ones be checked? The servers should know the difference, and they'd be the ones sending data.

Why not allow different modes for different circumstances, or allow for a sunset time?
Why not say "disc-free play must have check-in enabled"?

Was it unsupportable technically, or did they fear it would be too confusing?
Why is it such a completely binary choice between the extremes?

Well that sucks!!!! I was really hoping they'd only go halfway back. Keep it the old way for discs and the new way for downloads so we could choose.

I really wanted that family sharing, and mobility. Now because of all the internet whiners it's out the window. Going to have to wait another generation to get things right I guess.

Okay, just to make it clear:

I'm convinced that all publishers were united in establishing DRM policies to stop the trading of used games without them getting a cut. They've had meetings with MS and Sony on this one and formulated some sort of agreement.

MS announced their implementation of this agreement and received a lot of flak for it from the online community.

Sony saw an opportunity here to make a grab for early adopters, by announcing no such DRM policy on their end - shifting all the blame for it on 3rd party publishers and breaking any behind the scenes agreements. Basically they made a gamble to gather a larger install base in the early years and use it as a leverage for strong 3rd party support.

But now that MS has backed off, the sales match is once again back to roughly 1:1, with the added X1 features and stronger brand in the US compensating for the higher price. And there's still room on the price anyway.

So now with their DRM advantage gone, Sony has no leverage on 3rd party publishers and they've also ruined their plans with DRM. For which they may easily get punished, by publishers denying them any exclusive content.

Are all the tears due to looking sycophants for a bad DRM policy that MS has decided to correct? This is good news, they are listening and changed course.... Hats off to them for having enough courage to fix this.

some of the things they were doing sounded cool.

-10 games sharing
-no disc switching
-cloud stuff?

i lament the loss of those things.

what will really expose internets bias if now people start crying more about the things lost than things gained.
glad people who will never buy the machine, got what they wanted

yeah, now they will come up with all new reasons they're not buying it. early frontrunner based on gaf: "mandatory" kinect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back