XBox One, PS4, DRM, and You

Status
Not open for further replies.
fWpJY1n.jpg

That is asking for real trouble.

ku-medium.png

I just happen to stumble on that image. Don't know whether it's true or not, but unlike 360, One is basically a DD only console and treats disc as a DD. Because of that, in 360 you obviously can play games that don't need you to log in to live (single player disc based games only?). On One, if your account is banned, then that box is basically a bluray player only. Of course you probably can still log in with another account, but the games were tied to the banned account thus you can't play anything that you previously owned.
Because of that, a few question just came into my head. Can other people in your family circle play the game that you owned if your account is banned? Can your family play your shared games if your console don't go online for more than 24h (assuming your account is perfectly fine and you're just don't have the time to play)? For the last question, it got me wondering again... Are MS checking the license even if the console were in sleep mode (maybe wake up for a few minutes by itself or it can check while in low power mode) or only when active/on?

Edit: someone beat me to it while I was formulating my thought... :)

I wonder if this 24h DRM will impact way more people as expected at the end, or if it is really only a concern for a minority. But maybe the negative press resulting from this might be the real problem:

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-has-alienated-us-troops-with-always-online-xbox-one-2013-6

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/JayJohns...s_Ive_had_and_heard_on_my_last_deployment.php

MS said in the very first interviews about the online check that they do have solutions to bypass it for the soldiers etc who can't have a connection once per 24h

MS said in the very first interviews about the online check that they do have solutions to bypass it for the soldiers etc who can't have a connection once per 24h

Did you read the first link? They have included the MS response. MS response to their article says: you need online for X1, but we are going to support the 360 for years which does not need online.

It does not look like they consider a bypass for soldiers atm, otherwise they would have responded differently.

Ive just thought of another reason ms has taken this road on used games
to artificially inflate their price, with their approved retailer scheme they can dictate the price of used games. also if ive got this right games on xbla don't depreciate in price no matter what their age.

to artificially inflate their price, with their approved retailer scheme they can dictate the price of used games. also if ive got this right games on xbla don't depreciate in price no matter what their age.

I've been thinking about this a lot this weekend, starting with my thoughts about seller's right to set terms. Afterwards I started thinking about price theory and I was reminded that prices will always reach an items true value. My next thought was that if this is the case then games pricing has probably found that equilibrium, so the current price of disc based games already represented the true value of the product, which would already include the resale value.

Effectively when buying a new game, future resales are already built in to the price as that has value, and it will please you to hear that I have acceptance now of first sale doctrine and its value to the content creator. This is because games have that resale "royalty" built in. When you sell the game, the difference in the new purchase price and the second hand resale price is the true value of the product to the initial purchaser.

It became clear that reselling the item effectively acts as a rebate as you have already paid the publisher for future sales.

If true and assuming that xb games find their true value again, then if anything we should see a drop in average game price. Steam appears to be a good parallel in this instance, does anyone have any data on average sale price over the life of the product, compared to off the shelf prices?

They probably want as many people to buy digital as possible too. But the B&M retailers will not want the digital games to undercut them.

What format are they using to press the games ? If it's standard Blu-ray, it may mean MS has to pay Sony for the royalties. Sony's BR patent share is mostly with the disc (Panasonic's in the player). MS may have to negotiate with Sony on the BR manufacturing too since Sony is the largest in the world (Used to be 80-90+% market share, don't know about now).

Nintendo's blue diode player does not use the Blu-ray standard.

If they want to move to DD great,but don't use disk based games as a means to transition to the new policies. Leave disk based games alone completely and message that DD games and disk games are in complete and different silos and then let consumers choose. And then demonstrate how DD is clearly better. If you can't then you shouldn't be doing it.
Develop a plan that starts from the idea of How does this improve the customer experience.
Come up with a roadmap and be bold and clear with customers.
Instead of being coy because you are afraid of the reaction which feels like you are hiding something. Once you have the plan that is clearly customer focused,instead of a plan that feels like it's a reaction to publisher demand, it should be easy to have people embrace it.

Trying to catch up. Sorry for the delay...

Stepto and Eric Neustadter were on the Giant Bomb stream tonight flat out saying @XboxSupport is not a reliable source for anything about Xbox One. there job is to answer questions about the 360. That's what they're trained on and briefed for.

I figured as much, thanks for that.

Thank you sir for the clarification! Great post.

You're welcome! :D

I wonder if this 24h DRM will impact way more people as expected at the end, or if it is really only a concern for a minority. But maybe the negative press resulting from this might be the real problem:

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-has-alienated-us-troops-with-always-online-xbox-one-2013-6

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/JayJohns...s_Ive_had_and_heard_on_my_last_deployment.php

I have a problem with this. I see the military as special circumstances. They should be allowed to play games offline while they're deployed. My co-worker's son just went to Afghanistan a couple of months ago & he's a big 360 player. He took it with him after finishing basic training. Those guys live for their Xbox more so than most friends I know. Seems rather shortsighted & greedy if Microsoft can't make special arrangements for them.

Tommy McClain

They probably want as many people to buy digital as possible too. But the B&M retailers will not want the digital games to undercut them.

What format are they using to press the games ? If it's standard Blu-ray, it may mean MS has to pay Sony for the royalties. Sony's BR patent share is mostly with the disc (Panasonic's in the player). MS may have to negotiate with Sony on the BR manufacturing too since Sony is the largest in the world (Used to be 80-90+% market share, don't know about now).

Nintendo's blue diode player does not use the Blu-ray standard.

Most of the more expensive patents around Blu-eat relate to playing commercial movies, not the hardware itself. The patents related to movies are paid to the BDA which Sony is indeed part of and the patents related to the drive itself are paid when the drive manufacturer buys the parts that make up the drive and assembles them. There are no special Sony patents which Microsoft pays.

People seem to think that Microsoft has some special dislike for Blu-ray when there was no chance of using it in the 360 (system released too early) and it was ALWAYS going to be in the One as a distribution mechanism for games up to 50GB plus the HD movies lots of people own.

How could MS not know this as an American based company and knowing how big the military is on the US,could they really be that out of touch?

Well if they're eliminating several nations for various reasons, why would not offering concessions for military be different?

It doesn't look good image-wise but it can't be a big problem. At peak deployment, you're talking about 100k soldiers and not all of them are playing Xbox.

Now, they're bringing most of those soldiers home, so it won't be a big group.

There's no such thing as a used game. There are only retail media packages that have had a prior owner which may not be in mint condition.

The whole retail resale market is predicated on the falsity that the IP is used. That's not true.

There's no such thing as a used game. There are only retail media packages that have had a prior owner which may not be in mint condition.

The whole retail resale market is predicated on the falsity that the IP is used. That's not true.

I see plenty of used games at the local Gamestops.

And I've sold plenty of games after I've used them up.:p

Most of the more expensive patents around Blu-eat relate to playing commercial movies, not the hardware itself. The patents related to movies are paid to the BDA which Sony is indeed part of and the patents related to the drive itself are paid when the drive manufacturer buys the parts that make up the drive and assembles them. There are no special Sony patents which Microsoft pays.

People seem to think that Microsoft has some special dislike for Blu-ray when there was no chance of using it in the 360 (system released too early) and it was ALWAYS going to be in the One as a distribution mechanism for games up to 50GB plus the HD movies lots of people own.

That's not what I meant. Sony's patent share is higher when it comes to Blu-ray Disc patents, not the player tech. BDA simply collect the fees and distribute them accordingly. It may be a small sum in MS' eyes, but it still funds their competitors' activities.

MS does dislike Blu-ray because they tried and failed to kill it. And it is a revenue source for Sony, not just because of the royalty. They press the discs too. There are fewer companies handling them, which is why Sony is still the dominant manufacturer there.

If the disc distribution is still around, it will hamper how low MS can charge for digital games. The retailers won't want the digital games to undercut physical discs.

I don't think publishers want to lower prices of digital games either.

Their margins on digital at the same price as retail are obviously way higher.

For the same reason, the studios don't lower the prices of the movies they sell on iTunes or Amazon Video or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back