XBox One, PS4, DRM, and You

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it just simply allows them to come out with a version of the XBO without an optical drive during this generation or the next. Sony will be tied to an optical drive for this entire gen, and next if they happen to offer BC but MS is free to make a drive-less version from day one because every disc includes an online license as well.

Whats stopping the PS4 from doing this as well? It's just policy and software which can be changed, AFAIK there are no hardware limitations.

I think you're close, Jon. Very close. But after reading the Ars interview
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-licensing-used-game-policies/

It becomes clear that there's something else at work here.

In fact, after reading that interview, I'm 95% certain that those rumors about a DD only console was a very real consideration for MS, and I'll bet they went extremely far down the design path of creating a console without an optical drive before somebody made the decision that BR had to be included. Whether it was because they didn't want an all out war with retailers at this time, or whether it was because it's difficult to market an All-In-One media box right now without BR, or whatever.

Yusuf admits in the article above that the problem with the DRM confusion stems entirely from physical disc sales.

If you examine their policies, including how to sell digital copies, how to gift digital copies, how to share digital copies with multiple "family" members, etc.. everything is based upon actually expanding consumers' rights regarding digital property.

The only problems arise when dealing with physical media. And, in order for the One to work as intended, all physical media must be treated as digital media. Therefore, what is actually additional freedom being given to digital media becomes additional restrictions on physical media.

Take a look at MS's policies from the hypothetical situation that the One doesn't include a BR player and all content is DD. It's extremely Pro-Consumer. I really believe the One was originally intended to be a DD only console. It was designed that way, the policies were put in place for that reason, and at some point somebody made the decision that the optical drive was a necessity.

It's the inclusion of the optical drive that has sparked all this DRM backlash. Because the One simply can't function as intended unless physical media is treated identically to digitally downloaded media. And in order to do that, restrictions have to be place on physical media, otherwise there would only need to be a single copy of every game sold.

Whats stopping the PS4 from doing this as well? It's just policy and software which can be changed, AFAIK there are no hardware limitations.

Nothing. Except the One was designed from the ground up, and has numerous resources devoted specifically to take advantage of the fact that all of the content on the system is stored in the cloud.

I really hate it when Sony fans keep saying that the One is a gimped console because it has so many resources devoted to doing things other than gaming, and yet when those advantages are pointed out they believe that Sony can simply switch gears mid-stream and introduce those same features and functionality.

They can't. Can they offer a PS4 with no optical drive that is strictly DD? Sure. But is there an end benefit to the consumer in how the console deals with that media? Nope. Because the PS4 wasn't designed to perform that way, or offer that functionality, or have so much RAM reserved for the OS and media and entertainment functions that allow the multitasking and instant switching, etc. The only benefit of the PS4 removing the optical drive would be (perhaps) a cheaper console.

There's no experience benefit to the consumer for Sony doing that.

Nothing. Except the One was designed from the ground up, and has numerous resources devoted specifically to take advantage of the fact that all of the content on the system is stored in the cloud.

I really hate it when Sony fans keep saying that the One is a gimped console because it has so many resources devoted to doing things other than gaming, and yet when those advantages are pointed out they believe that Sony can simply switch gears mid-stream and introduce those same features and functionality.

They can't. Can they offer a PS4 with no optical drive that is strictly DD? Sure. But is there an end benefit to the consumer in how the console deals with that media? Nope. Because the PS4 wasn't designed to perform that way, or offer that functionality, or have so much RAM reserved for the OS and media and entertainment functions that allow the multitasking and instant switching, etc. The only benefit of the PS4 removing the optical drive would be (perhaps) a cheaper console.

There's no experience benefit to the consumer for Sony doing that.

Too defensive. I simply responded to the idea that PS4 must be tied to disk and XboxOne is not. I said nothing derogatory about XboxOne.

Too defensive. I simply responded to the idea that PS4 must be tied to disk and XboxOne is not. I said nothing derogatory about XboxOne.

And I never said that you did. I do appreciate about how you actually responded to the points made in my response, well done!

I'll apologize if you thought my response was too harsh. After all, I still want access to share your iTunes account.

I'm just tired of the duplicity of the Sony crowd that constantly crows that the One is underpowered due to the fact that so many resources are dedicated to providing the benefits from digital-only media, and then in the same breath turning around saying that Sony can do the same thing whenever they want.

And no wonder GAF is talking about GameStop managers trying to convince everyone to go PS4 instead of XBox One for their pre-orders.

This isn't too hard to acknowledge. I went to a mom-and-pop store here in Taiwan and had a conversation with them after they announced their DRM scheme.

They hated it too and said that won't resonate with consumers (and game stores here), and expect the One to do very badly in our region (Asia).

I think you're close, Jon. Very close. But after reading the Ars interview
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-licensing-used-game-policies/

It becomes clear that there's something else at work here.

In fact, after reading that interview, I'm 95% certain that those rumors about a DD only console was a very real consideration for MS, and I'll bet they went extremely far down the design path of creating a console without an optical drive before somebody made the decision that BR had to be included. Whether it was because they didn't want an all out war with retailers at this time, or whether it was because it's difficult to market an All-In-One media box right now without BR, or whatever.

Yusuf admits in the article above that the problem with the DRM confusion stems entirely from physical disc sales.

If you examine their policies, including how to sell digital copies, how to gift digital copies, how to share digital copies with multiple "family" members, etc.. everything is based upon actually expanding consumers' rights regarding digital property.

I'm still not sure about this gifting idea. My reading of Microsoft's statements is that the 30 day friend one-time transfer only applies to physical game discs. I've not seen anything to say that applies to DD games.

From the Xbox support, all 10 members can play games from your library any time at the same time in different consoles(different games each one):

zPVV1u3.png

If you read it closely they never said at the same time.

It's quite obviously they're actively dodging that particular "simultaneous" part of the question.

Which I will take as a "no".

Where have they stated that purely digital games are exempt from the 24-hour rule?

The articles I've read indicate that to the Xbox One, discs are effectively a really high-latency connection. Bits on a disc or from a network look the same once they get loaded into memory.
It seems no PR statement or news outlet has made an exception to the 24 hours and no gaming at all rule.

If you read it closely they never said at the same time.

It's quite obviously they're actively dodging that particular "simultaneous" part of the question.

Which I will take as a "no".

Nowak ask them if all members can play different games at the same time, and at the end, Xbox Support 2 answer yes, 6 different consoles with 6 different games played by 6 different members.

Where have they stated that purely digital games are exempt from the 24-hour rule?

The articles I've read indicate that to the Xbox One, discs are effectively a really high-latency connection. Bits on a disc or from a network look the same once they get loaded into memory.
It seems no PR statement or news outlet has made an exception to the 24 hours and no gaming at all rule.

Has anybody said that they are?

My understanding is that because of the way the One was designed, (and IMO it was designed originally as a strictly DD console), is that all games are treated as DD. The only "benefit" you get from purchasing the physical disc is that you don't have to wait for the game to download. So if you're on a crappy internet connection and it will take days (as some have said it will) to download a game, you can go purchase the physical copy to speed up the installation process.

Nowak ask them if all members can play different games at the same time, and at the end, Xbox Support 2 answer yes, 6 different consoles with 6 different games played by 6 different members.

6 different consoles with 6 different game played by 6 different members.

What time frame? In a month?

It's a dodgy answer to say the least.

A simple "yes" would suffice to confirm the "same time" clause, but no, they deliberately reworded it so that the "same time" is out of their confirmation.

Which is one of the reasons why everybody is quite confused about what you can or can not do.
They take your question, throw out what you really want to know, and answer another question that everybody knows about already.

Only a REAL PSFANBOY would be trying to interpret that as anything differently. And it would have to be a PSFANBOY that doesn't actually understand how the system is even going to work in order to get confused.

Don't worry, there will come a day where they move the goal posts back to the point where they are upset that two different "family" members can't play the same game at the same time on different consoles in different parts of the world.

They are backpeddling hard at this point, because as I've stated before, what MS has done here is actually expand consumer rights in terms of their digital content. The only issue here, is the one that Jedi asked at the very beginning (and I pointed out in the DRM thread): IF you take away the entire concept of physical media, then what is your opinion?

When you realize that the BR was only included because they felt that they had to include it in order to be the "one media console you need", you actually get a picture of how MS isn't only pushing the future, they are selling it.

I really don't understand why this conversation has to go on so long. What MS has offered in terms of sharing digital content is unprecedented. Now, as a result of that, if you choose to use physical content, you are now being imposed restrictions that you weren't previously subservient to.

It's all pretty simple. The only benefit to buying a physical copy of a game on the One rather than downloading a digital copy is the upload/download speed. If your internet connection sucks so much that you can't preload a game or download a game and need the physical disc in order to play the game, you can still go ahead and buy that copy. But as soon as you put it into your system, it will act exactly as a downloaded copy.

All you accomplish by buying the physical disc is that you save download and installation time. Everything else is the same.

6 different consoles with 6 different game played by 6 different members.

What time frame? In a month?

It's a dodgy answer to say the least.

A simple "yes" would suffice to confirm the "same time" clause, but no, they deliberately reworded it so that the "same time" is out of their confirmation.

Which is one of the reasons why everybody is quite confused about what you can or can not do.
They take your question, throw out what you really want to know, and answer another question that everybody knows about already.

Well... do you have a twitter account (I don't)? If you can ask them about it, please, share the answer with us.

Well... do you have a twitter account (I don't)? If you can ask them about it, please, share the answer with us.

I don't see how I can word the question any clearer than the examples you've provided in the images.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein

I'm not insane yet.

I don't see how I can word the question any clearer than the examples you've provided in the images.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein

I'm not insane yet.

Ok, someone else ask them:

Nowak ‏@nowak911 6h

@XboxSupport2 Just for futher clarification, that's 6 consoles, 6 different games played, all simultaneous?
Details

Retweet
Favorite

Xbox Support 2 Xbox Support 2 ‏@XboxSupport2 6h

@nowak911 Correct. As long as they are part of the 10 family members. ^ML

Is it clear? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back