XBox One, PS4, DRM, and You

Status
Not open for further replies.
it really doesn't mater how we got here. we are here, it's coming one way or another one time or another it is bound to happen. all this "he said she said" the last few weeks is just silly IMO

those that don't like it have a choice now PS4, no longer do people need to raise the banners and fight the fight, let the dead horse go and stay with Sony and you will be drm free forever! - or something

those of us (millions most likely) who are not impacted and like the MS product will make their choice ...isn't that what everybody is complaining about? choice?

well we have it, I'll make mine, you make yours and let's play some games

How does that confirm ea wants drm?

So Peter Moore is just a lair?

If Activision's CEO was being honest on Gametrailers earlier today, it would seem that they were not involved in the push to DRM either so who then? It was a good interview and I got the sense that he was being candid with his comments... :???:

Can someone simply breakdown the DRM rules of Xbox One for me? I want to make sure I'm understanding the functionality clearly. Please correct / comment on the following, and obviously I'm aware that an internet connection is required.

1) Everything is basically treated as digital content (including store bought discs which only changes the delivery mechanism), and as such licensed to both a given "User" and his/her "Home" console. And by doing so disks are never needed to play any games ever.

2) Any player is able to play any game installed on its "Home" primary console using their own account, regardless if the "User" with whom that game is associated with or purchased by is logged in or not.

3) The "Users" game is downloadable and playable on any console anywhere, anytime, and while that user is logged in to the foreign console, other users on that console have the right to play the game as well.

4) The "Users" game library can be shared with up to 10 other friends or family members who can play those games on any console they wish with a maximum of 2 people (user+friend) playing the same game at the same time.

5) An advantage of purchasing physical media vs. simply downloading the game, is if the "User" no longer wishes to play or have access to the game, he can give up his usage rights and trade the game back into a retailer for fair market value, or give/sell it directly to a 30 day member of his/her friends list once.

So - single player games/ content cannot be locked out by the publisher when it comes to used copies or rentals? That is straight from Sony correct?

So - single player games/ content cannot be locked out by the publisher when it comes to used copies or rentals? That is straight from Sony correct?

That's what I have tried to find out before. It certainly has not been clear at all. The direct statements I have seen from Sony execs seem to point at it being up to 3rd party publishers, but Sony as a publisher will not restrict resale.

The unusually confused messages coming out of both companies when these policies were launched makes me think they are winging it.

Can someone simply breakdown the DRM rules of Xbox One for me? I want to make sure I'm understanding the functionality clearly. Please correct / comment on the following, and obviously I'm aware that an internet connection is required.

1) Everything is basically treated as digital content (including store bought discs which only changes the delivery mechanism), and as such licensed to both a given "User" and his/her "Home" console. And by doing so disks are never needed to play any games ever.

2) Any player is able to play any game installed on its "Home" primary console using their own account, regardless if the "User" with whom that game is associated with or purchased by is logged in or not.

3) The "Users" game is downloadable and playable on any console anywhere, anytime, and while that user is logged in to the foreign console, other users on that console have the right to play the game as well.

4) The "Users" game library can be shared with up to 10 other friends or family members who can play those games on any console they wish with a maximum of 2 people (user+friend) playing the same game at the same time.

5) An advantage of purchasing physical media vs. simply downloading the game, is if the "User" no longer wishes to play or have access to the game, he can give up his usage rights and trade the game back into a retailer for fair market value, or give/sell it directly to a 30 day member of his/her friends list once.
Sound right but 5 is wrong.

The publisher can block all of that. It a per title thing and some media have stated they won't let you trade in a games until 8 weeks after release if at all.

When something backfires, you back track, and correct your misjudgment. It's a relatively straightforward business practice, but it looks like Microsoft cannot backtrack. I'm guessing it's a technological issue. Maybe they never planned to have a robust disc-level copy protection in place. So there's no plan B.

(maybe that explains all the pro-DRM astroturf all over the internets)

I'm confident that some of the strong positions represented on DRM here in the forum are in some cases are tied to personal platform preference.

I remember when Final Fantasy came out those with PS3 and bluray in some cases overstated the inconvenience of changing disk and on the 360 side some were quick to dismiss it as no big deal. How ironic that now when the roles are reversed disk swapping is relevant or no-longer important....

I'm confident that some of the strong positions represented on DRM here in the forum are in some cases are tied to personal platform preference.

I remember when Final Fantasy came out those with PS3 and bluray in some cases overstated the inconvenience of changing disk and on the 360 side some were quick to dismiss it as no big deal. How ironic that now when the roles are reversed disk swapping is relevant or no-longer important....

what the hell that was 7-8 years ago... iphone wasn't even released yet, things change technology evolves our expectations change... sorry no offense but this post is really just dragging the bottom of the barrel now as far as debate goes

what the hell that was 7-8 years ago... iphone wasn't even released yet, things change technology evolves our expectations change... sorry no offense but this post is really just dragging the bottom of the barrel now as far as debate goes

ff for the ps3 didn't come out 7-8 years ago. Ps3 wasn't even out then.

Look at how fast people are blowing off the charge for online gaming with the ps4. Dig up past post by some people here and see how much they would complain about ms charging and how bad it was. Now they are all saying its fine that it costs money cause they pay for psn anyway and so on and so forth.

Look at how fast people are blowing off the charge for online gaming with the ps4. Dig up past post by some people here and see how much they would complain about ms charging and how bad it was. Now they are all saying its fine that it costs money cause they pay for psn anyway and so on and so forth.
link?

He has a valid point, the opinion changed when Microsoft introduced complete installs.

Hence my comment, lots of flip flopping on both sides. I understand its an emotional issue but kinda surprised by some of the reactions by the most vocal on both sides with some of this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back