Nintendo announces a higher capacity Wiipad battery

I'm amazed how cheap Nintendo are. I bought a 2500 mAh battery for my phone off Amazon, £8 delivered. It'd have cost Nintendo a few extra bucks to add a decent battery but they skimped out. The cheapness of the current Nintendo means I'll never be interested in a product they make.

Nintendo have one of the best -if not the best- software line-up (although I am not used to their games, this is vox populi) so slashing the hardware is common practice after the GC days.

I think it should be time for Nintendo to move on or ask companies like Sony to develop hardware for them, instead of just looking for profits in every piece of hardware they make.

If they continue this way they are going to gain a bad reputation.

Even so, I rather prefer a couple of regular rechargeable batteries than the typical peripherals console makers usually sell.

They are much more reliable, at least to me. In my experience -at least with the official X360 batteries- one is not getting one's money worth comparing to the tech we are paying for.

Nintendo are the masters of excessive cheapness. They probably worked out that because the Wii owners didn't play for hours at a time that they wouldn't need a larger battery.

I'm amazed how cheap Nintendo are. I bought a 2500 mAh battery for my phone off Amazon, £8 delivered. It'd have cost Nintendo a few extra bucks to add a decent battery but they skimped out. The cheapness of the current Nintendo means I'll never be interested in a product they make.

In fairness, there are cheap knockoff batteries of Amazon that are not nearly as good as the real thing from the manufacturer. Are you sure the one you got is quality?

It's funny though I just read a post on GAF, somebody was berating somebody for calling Nintendo cheap. "The Wii U is selling at a loss, how on earth are they cheap?" :p

But yeh no argument here, I have big differences with Nintendo's philosophy these days.

These Ninty fanboys on youtube, they will spend hours blaming third parties, and not a minute blaming Nintendo for an underspecced console. But kinda OT.

Nintendo have one of the best -if not the best- software line-up
For a certain fanbase. And even then, it's pretty mean to basically milk that fanbase for their money by selling them the cheapest possible implementations of the hardware that'll run that software. I know it's standard business practice to sell high-markup consumable, but the Wuublet was a key feature and battery life important. There are tablets fitting 7000 mAh batteries, and yet Nintendo went with something barely passable, in contradiction to their position on portable game device battery life.

In fairness, there are cheap knockoff batteries of Amazon that are not nearly as good as the real thing from the manufacturer. Are you sure the one you got is quality?
Yeah, you can get cheap, shoddy batteries, but you can get cheap, good batteries too. The cost of batteries isn't that high. I bought some replacement Canon DSLR batteries a while back and they were every bit as good as the official ones at a fraction of the price. My mobile batteries proving twice the battery life of the original, as you'd expect. Nintendo definitely could have put in twice the juice for a few bucks more, which we complained about prior to release, and this new battery pack just confirms it.

Batteries really aren't that expensive. The Open Pandora folks can sell their 4200mAh battery at $25 (http://ithic.com/en/official-op-accessories/17-open-pandora-battery-pack.html) and with their tiny volumes I'm sure they pay far more than Nintendo does, while still making at least some margin on it. $31 for a desperately needed 2500mAh (I'm assuming Wuu pad uses 3.7V batteries) is just sticking it to the customer base. Sell them a terrible battery then offer them an upgrade to a somewhat less terrible battery at a pretty fat margin. I know ridiculously overpriced first party peripherals are a staple of the console market (XBox 360's wifi adapter was particularly insanely priced) but should Nintendo really be treating their fledgling and anxious Wii U customer base this way?

Yeah, you can get cheap, shoddy batteries, but you can get cheap, good batteries too. The cost of batteries isn't that high. I bought some replacement Canon DSLR batteries a while back and they were every bit as good as the official ones at a fraction of the price. My mobile batteries proving twice the battery life of the original, as you'd expect. Nintendo definitely could have put in twice the juice for a few bucks more, which we complained about prior to release, and this new battery pack just confirms it.

It's a gamble, bought a battery for my Minidisc some time ago.. useless, and user reviews are just as hopeless, some claim it works, others claim they suck.. been looking for a backup battery for my own EOS just doesn't feel like i wonna take that gamble..

Needless to say that Nintendo was to cheap with that battery size, also based on their story of solid playtime on the DS..

Agreed it should have been bigger to begin with.
However you can use it with the plug (like you would any corded pad), so it's not that bad.
(Nyko also released a battery that is even "bigger".)

I always thought they used such a small battery due to weight concerns of the pad itself, since its already so big they wanted to make sure smaller children could hold the thing.

Is the new battery any larger? My replacement batteries for DSLR and phone were no bigger than the originals.

This was so predictible.. the socket for the battery in the tablet has lots of free room for a larger battery.

iTSJoe1.jpg

Nintendo should be ashamed of launching a purposedly castrated product on day one (and be so obvious in the process) just so it can milk its customers with an overpriced fix.

I think it should be time for Nintendo to move on or ask companies like Sony to develop hardware for them, instead of just looking for profits in every piece of hardware they make
Hopefully they ask Samsung and it has the same effect as it did on Sony. I think Samsung would make an excellent console.

Hopefully they ask Samsung and it has the same effect as it did on Sony. I think Samsung would make an excellent console.

Empowering Samsung even more right now would be a bit dangerous for the whole market.

Besides, Nintendo is too proud to go off-country.

Maybe... Sharp? Panasonic?

This was so predictible.. the socket for the battery in the tablet has lots of free room for a larger battery.
I'm wagering this new battery will be no larger than the existing one; filling up the entire battery compartment (with actual battery and not just a big plastic shell) would give a capacity increase much greater than just 1000mAh.

Last time Nintendo worked with someone it ended up with the PlayStation, I doubt they want that again.
And last time Sega worked with someone it ended up with the XBox...

Empowering Samsung even more right now would be a bit dangerous for the whole market.

Besides, Nintendo is too proud to go off-country.

Maybe... Sharp? Panasonic?

Don't care about the market as long as I get a beast of a console that someone like Samsung takes a huge hit on to win me over.

iTSJoe1.jpg

Nintendo should be ashamed of launching a purposedly castrated product on day one (and be so obvious in the process) just so it can milk its customers with an overpriced fix.

Op op op op oppan M$ Style.

It's difficult to forget the days of yore when systems regularly had large expansion bays and ports of sorts. Nintendo has always had the ability to "milk it" in ways and have done it well before the Wii U. This time, It just happens to be something as stupidly simple as a battery. Depending on the battery type, I'm sure someone could build their own.

Last time Nintendo worked with someone it ended up with the PlayStation, I doubt they want that again.
And last time Sega worked with someone it ended up with the XBox...

Lol. And who was to blame for that? I seem to remember Nintendo and Sega ...

Back