Does Xbox need a God of War type franchise?

blakjedi

Veteran
The single player third person platform adventure game reached its pinnacle during the Ps360 era with Tombraider, Castlevania, Uncharted, and the continuation of the God of War Saga.

Of these, only Tombraider is on Xbox? Is this an area of deficit for the Xbox catalogue? I personally find these type of games to be the most enjoyable of all as I cannot play FPS' (they give me motion sickness ) so games like Gears, Halo, and COD are out for me.

Mass Effect came the closest on Xbox but thats really a space opera/RPG. I dont really enjoy multiplayer games whatsoever.

These games are also the games that Playstation owners (of which i am one) constantly trot out as the hallmark of graphical fidelity in the generation.

Where is Xbox's God of War? And why havent we seen similar efforts on this console franchise to produce games that meet that third person action void?

This was one of the most confusing post I have ever read. Gears of War is an FPS? God of War is a similar game to Mass Effect? Castlevania is not on 360?

This was one of the most confusing post I have ever read. Gears of War is an FPS? God of War is a similar game to Mass Effect? Castlevania is not on 360?

Gears of War and Mass effect are similar for fighting scenes. The speed of Gears in battle gives me motion sickness.. Its not an FPS because it does use over the shoulder cam.

I didnt realize Castlevania is xbox 360. I have it for ps3 my fault.

Let me summarize games like Uncharted and God of War for Xbox.

Blackjedi is not himself. I read this thread and I see someone else posting, Dude have you smoked something? Are you drunk? Tired?

Personally, I could not care less about any God of War or Unchartered or even Killzone series. And the last Tomb Raider game I could do entirely without.

So my answer would be "NO".

What is it you think is missing on the Xbox platform? Is it a third person series? Why do series such as Gears of War, Dead Space, Red Dead Redemption, Max Payne, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Red Faction, Devil May Cry, Lost Planet, Ghost Recon, Crackdown, The Club, Army of Two, Alien Breed, Shadow Complex, Warhammer 40K, LA Noire, Kane & Lynch, Transformers, Defiance, Resident Evil, Dust Elysian Tail not count?

Blackjedi is not himself. I read this thread and I see someone else posting, Dude have you smoked something? Are you drunk? Tired?

I'm exhausted. I've been working on security contract for 45 days straight so I'm just piecemealing my B3D time. Sorry.

Personally, I could not care less about any God of War or Unchartered or even Killzone series. And the last Tomb Raider game I could do entirely without.

So my answer would be "NO".

What is it you think is missing on the Xbox platform? Is it a third person series? Why do series such as Gears of War, Dead Space, Red Dead Redemption, Max Payne, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Red Faction, Devil May Cry, Lost Planet, Ghost Recon, Crackdown, The Club, Army of Two, Alien Breed, Shadow Complex, Warhammer 40K, LA Noire, Kane & Lynch, Transformers, Defiance, Resident Evil not count?

That Lara Croft was one of my favorite games this generation but I played through it on my iPad while traveling. For whatever reason, I feel like I can dedicate just enough time to games like Uncharted or GoW or Skulls of the Shogun to play through to conclusion. Most of the other games you mentioned... I just dont have time anymore.

I always meant to try RDR and Fallout but they seem so tedious. Whereas with the ones I mentioned I can actually reasonably finish in a weekend and get on with my life.

I just turned 40 and recently married so I'm too distracted (read busy) to dedicate weeks to Skyrim. Old hardcore gamers are tomorrows casuals I guess. :oops:

Nah, most people buy God of War for the visuals and OTT violence rather than the actual gameplay I think.

They will have Ryse which has a similar setting (though looks to be an FPS)

Nah, most people buy God of War for the visuals and OTT violence rather than the actual gameplay I think.

They will have Ryse which has a similar setting (though looks to be an FPS)

I've not had a PS3 long and bought GOW3 cheap. I've played through roughly 2-3 hrs of it and get the feeling you're right. I don't think much to the gameplay to be honest - it feels rather rudimentary. Ditched it and went on to other, better things.

Yeah, coming from Japanese action games like Ninja Gaiden the combat definitely isn't as technical, fast paced, or as thrilling (or as difficult lol).

I guess people also like the storyline and unique setting that the series has.

Graphics is definitely a factor. The gameplay is satisfying for the most part (easy in principle, but deep enough to be able to get better at it and requiring you to get better at higher difficulty levels), and is nicely mixed with an occasional light puzzle. And the graphics and presentation in general are amazing (game keeps increasing its wow factor all the time). Most important part of the gameplay imho is that it feels very 'visceral' - you feel very strongly involved, and everything you do feels very powerful. Few games get that right.

It's one of three games that my wife actually wanted to see me play (other was Uncharted, and Flower) and this one was her favorite (she watched almost the whole thing).

Whether the Xbox platform needs it though, I'm thinking probably not - certainly in the US the 360 managed to take 2/3rds of the market without it.

Personally I think Gears of War has a similar appeal in the US. That's not to say that it's a universal taste thing - I really never could get into Gears, but God of War 3 is among the select few games that I actually finished, and captivated me from start to finish. Ninja Gaiden on the other hand does nothing for me (camera angles don't fit the type of gameplay, imho, drives me crazy).

Matter of taste, certainly.

I didn't play God of War 4, and I heard they made some changes to gameplay. Otherwise, the series is past its shelf life. Does Xbox One need a button masher? Xbox 360 had Castle Crashers. I'd rather see a sequel to that that a God of War clone. I'll spare my negativity about the series. I did enough of that in the God of War 3 thread.

I didn't play God of War 4, and I heard they made some changes to gameplay. Otherwise, the series is past its shelf life. Does Xbox One need a button masher? Xbox 360 had Castle Crashers. I'd rather see a sequel to that that a God of War clone. I'll spare my negativity about the series. I did enough of that in the God of War 3 thread.

Arwin was correct when describing how visceral GOW is. I enjoy that. Its therapeutic and not caught up in being some EPIC novel based adventure. There's still a story but you can take it in doses and not have to remember the last quest the apothecary sent you to the bartender in the tavern across the continent for. Now THAT is trope is tired.

Yeah, Xbox as well as PC could use God of War and/or Uncharted type of brand. Latest Tomb Raider was best in series (I played Tomb Raider first, then Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary and Underworld. I've played rest earlier when they were new) and while there's too many "epic" quicktime scenes for my taste, general public don't seem to mind 'em and at least tolerate 'em like me. I'd buy GoW or Uncharted type of game... at least from Steam sales.

Back