Which console are you most interested in getting?

What console do you *currently* intend to get?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A poll for PersistantThug who missed adding it to his thread.

Merged threads to append the poll here. Everyone who posted can now vote.

I can tell you the answer of the poll. PS4 wins on this forum because PS3 probably would have won the same poll before it. A more interesting poll would be how many people plan on switching their primary console from one to the other.

I am interested in hearing people's rationals for picking, especially this early.

I'm most likely mainly switching from MS to Sony and PC. Xbox has been my primary gaming platform ever since I pre-ordered and bought the original Xbox + 10 games on launch day. I've had all the Sony consoles as well, but after the Xbox came out I've only played exclusive games on Playstations. Xbox was a cannon back in the day and 360 backed in as much power as was possible and launched early, that's why I was there.

Now MS just forfeited the power arms race. Sony put the bar at a medium level and MS didn't respond. Their strategy might prove successful, but at best, for me it will become the machine I only play the exclusive Xbox games if I end up getting it. Lot of things can change before the launch, but the 12 vs 18 thing doesn't sit too well with me. I prefer the Xbox controller and luckily I can use it on PC.

Both!
XBOX One for the kids with the kinect stuff, and a Blu-Ray player for the small screen. i expect the TV stuff to be a complete waste in my house, and most europeans houses as well :)

PS4 for the Big Screen and Home Theater, so that i can enjoy all the coming blockbusters, and hopefully stream Netflix without having to pay extra. If PS+ continues with the current amount of games i will be getting that as well.

If the PS4 launches world wide i will get that first and wait until there is something the kids wants to play on the ONE before i get that. If the PS4 is delayed by the classic 6 months in europe i will get the XBOX One first and the PS4 at a midnight opening when they arrive.

I expect to buy most of games on the platform that has no kill switch button on my games, be it PS4 XBOX One or PC.

Over the years my major gaming platforms were these, feel free to paint a psychiatric profile:

Gen 2: TRS80 (family computer, I barely remember but it had games)
Gen 3: Tandy 1000 (IBM PC-Junior clone)
Gen 4: Amiga
Gen 5: PC
Gen 6: Gamecube
Gen 7: Wii + PS2/PS3
Gen 8: None yet

I was planning to buy a WiiU on day one, and I didn't because Nintendo concentrated on games I don't like. Now the buzz is gone, the specs are crap, and Nintendo seem to care more about their portables and a million variation of mario games, they haven't done anything new for years. After being a big fan for 12 years I'm officially tired of them.

I played way too may shooters when I was mostly a PC gamer, and I don't like shooters anymore, they're all the same to me, no matter how beautiful.

I have love the modern platformer genre like R&C, Sly, etc... I have almost all of them platinum'd including the HD-remake collections.

My two most surprising and interesting gaming experiences, ever, have been Heavy Rain and Journey.

My favorite racing game has been Gran Turismo, I also enjoyed the Burnout franchise a lot.

I love action/adventure, I usually dislike war-themed games, unless the narrative is anti-war (Metal Gear, Uncharted).

I don't play sports games. I don't watch professional sports unless I'm at a friend's house with lots of beer, it's the beer and the friends I want, the TV is an excuse. I don't have any TV. I'm not interested in TV, not even an antenna. I buy all my favorite series in bluray or I watch the lesser stuff on netflix. My news source is the internet.

None of my media consumption habit fit with the typical american consumerism. I see no difference between my books collection, music collection, bluray films collection, and games collection. I still revisit old books, films, and games from the 80's and 90's. It's not nostalgia, what I watch or play has long term value to me. Online DRM is a deal breaker.

I enjoy motion gaming and also experimental gimmicks like second screen or smartphone integration, voice recognition, the eye toy, etc... It's a value added in a system, new experiences, fun with my friends and family.

So, yeah, I'm obviously getting a PS4 at launch because it'll have my favorite games. If I ever argue about anything else it's because I love arguing. Specs don't matter, price don't matter, and added value features don't matter. It has my games.

I don't know who said it, but MS should do the same with real football in Europe. UEFA loves money so should be fairly straight forward.

Or Formula one...

Cheers

UEFA have been partners with Sony for years so this is unlikely.

I'm so confused about the "tv features are useless in Europe" narrative. I haven't really seen a good description of the reasons why. Is it because people tend not to have external tuners and use the tuners built in to their tvs? Or OTA antennas plugged directly into the tv?

I won't get cable, or satellite or anything. I'm done with that. But the features they demonstrated would be nice while using Netflix, the xbox video service or whatever. I'm not even convinced I'd skype on my Xbox, but multitasking apps or web browsing is cool.

Picked the Not another poll option for shits and giggles, but it's looking like the PS4 will be my main console next gen. I'll pick up the Wii-U.....eventually when it's sub $200 and I'll wait and hope for MS to change their stupid policies before I pick up a Xbox One.

I can tell you the answer of the poll. PS4 wins on this forum because PS3 probably would have won the same poll before it. A more interesting poll would be how many people plan on switching their primary console from one to the other.

I am interested in hearing people's rationals for picking, especially this early.

Edit: Last gen I had all 3 consoles for a time. This gen, I'm picking one. If it ends up being shit, I'm just going to stop console gaming altogether. There's a chance Valve, Apple could change my mind if they entered the console market in a significant way. Otherwise, I'd probably just end up playing indie games on my laptop. I'm a 360 user right now. It's the only console I have left. I have a 50/50 chance of switching.

Agreed with how the poll will go and would have gone. :devilish:

I've been a PS360 owner this gen, buying both consoles multiple times. The 360 has been my main console this gen and all of my friends own one. However I'll be switching to the PS4 for my main console next gen. It's likely to have better versions of multi-platform titles, we all know Sony has plenty of studios to support it, and so far it doesn't seem like they want to lock down my system if I don't have an internet connection.

I really can't express how bothered I am by the way MS has handled the Xbone. It's a shame too because I know there will be software on the platform I'd want to play. I just can't support such decisions out of principle.

I have no idea. That's why it would have been interesting.

Not interesting. Redundant. The one demonstration of SmartGlass yesterday was to control a Snap app with a phone to do something he could have just done on the phone. And since he had to look at the phone to do it anyway it doesn't seem like either Snap or SmartGlass bring anything to the table other than a $60/year surcharge.

Right now, the PS4 looks good for me.
But I know E3 is going to affect my purchase decision.
And even after E3, where gameplay trailers will start showing up.
So, I haven't made up my mind yet.

I'm going with PC .. maybe i'll get a PS4 a year or two later .
The one thing i'm sure is that i'm done with Microsoft.

I'm getting PS4 at launch, need it for BF4

Don't have cable and don't watch TV (or Skype a lot) so not really interested in that part of Xbox, its possible I'll end up picking it up later - if the market reception is good and it has some nice exclusives, or Kinect allows something really interesting to be brought to the table.

I hope PS4 let's you hook up external HDDs or USB drives formatted in other formats than FAT32 (and not limited to 4GB files) so I can watch my HD movie collection on console rather than having to stream from my laptop.

But we shall see, if it doesn't but Xbox lets you do that then I might get it just for that.

Oh and this will be the first gen where an Xbox device wasn't my primary or only console (that is after my PS1 days).

Last edited by a moderator:
All the XB services i'm interested in are not available in continental Europe, so i'll be getting the PS4.

I can tell you the answer of the poll. PS4 wins on this forum because PS3 probably would have won the same poll before it.

Agreed. I think the engineering & European slant that is in this forum always makes it an easy win for anything Sony. Underdog again for the next-gen! Yes, I'm a glutton. LOL

Tommy McClain

PS4, i already have a Vita so the remote play will be great in bed.
Also Sony are on a roll now and the only an awful E3 will stop them.
MS on the other hand are focusing on non gaming shit which is mostly for USA and useless for me, also the fidelity of the (non)gameplay they showed was not impressive.

I'll probably get the Xbox One. I like the software/services and the fact that they seem to have spent a lot of time thinking about how to improve multiplayer. I'll change my mind if their New Zealand support sucks or if they price it strangely relative to the PS4.

I'm getting Xbox One at launch..then PS4 a few months after. I think MS has clearly defined goals and the manpower to realize them in an actual working product. They're building a new foundation for the future. I think Sony's machine will be great for games just like previous generations but services won't be full featured or polished like MS's.

Before MS doesn't say that Kinect is not mandatory to play the console is a NO GO because of obvious privacy concerns. I have no interest to provide MS and NSA with a door(audio/video) into my living room.

Even then I would need to see the games and price if I could ignore my disappointment with MS lackluster HW effort. After the utter Halo4 disappointment my old love has lost its attractiveness.

I might get a PS4 *if* some XBox pad design will work with it but maybe I just build me a gamer PC with Steam for my living room. Something I hadn't really considered before.

But maybe it's time to explore all the collected 360 games I hadn't tried out yet. That could bridge the time until this "failed generation" is over and MS comes to its senses and offers a real next generation gamer experience. Only some rivers of blood in the so called MS gaming division could satisfy my gamer's violent urges right now:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back