Forza 5 [XO] *large pics inside*

Very nice! Note the distinct lack of squealing tyres you hear in certain games. ;)

Finally got my XGPS150A working and the laptime is awesome now! speeds are finally accurate which helps are lot when looking at where to improve.

In other news within took down The TT1 club racing record :D Looking to do time trials next year and hoping to take down the TT3 time next time I'm out. (that's the rabbit I'm chasing) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8xNmOHoYno
I thought it was Laguna Seca for a moment, but it is actually the Infineon Raceway! :oops:

In my days :LOL: we used a watch with a tachymeter, and these days... :smile:

As for squealing tires, I kinda agree, I also miss the wind sounding in the background in games. Still, there are moments where you can heard the tires skid, even if just slightly, like at the 3:50 mins mark, or at 7:03. I also like the sound of the hard shoulders --can't remember the exact term right now, sorry.

Thanks guys! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

It's amazing what this car do in stock form. It's a 2011 Corvette Z06 with Z07 performance package. I put in a race seat and poly bushings as I went through the rubber bushings quickly.

The tire squealing at 3:50 and 7:05 is inside tire slipping on curbs/kerbs.

As for tire squeal, the more street oriented a tire is, the harder it squeals. Frankly, it's pretty fuckin annoying to hear a tire just screaming at the top of its lungs all the way around a track. I have no idea why anyone would want to hear it especially considering it's never been an indicator of maximum tire limit in my experience. If anything, people back off too early because they correlate tire squeal with lost grip.

It's amazing what this car do in stock form. It's a 2011 Corvette Z06 with Z07 performance package. I put in a race seat and poly bushings as I went through the rubber bushings quickly.

As for tire squeal, the more street oriented a tire is, the harder it squeals. Frankly, it's pretty fuckin annoying to hear a tire just screaming at the top of its lungs all the way around a track. I have no idea why anyone would want to hear it especially considering it's never been an indicator of maximum tire limit in my experience. If anything, people back off too early because they correlate tire squeal with lost grip.

Yeah, and losing grip is a lot harder than people seem to realise. My dad and I rented a Boxter S once, and my dad actively tried to make the tire lose grip, but it was basically impossible.

Yeah, and losing grip is a lot harder than people seem to realise. My dad and I rented a Boxter S once, and my dad actively tried to make the tire lose grip, but it was basically impossible.

That really depends on how much power to grip ratio the car is setup for. If the car has lots of grip but no power to actually power slide though a corner then you won't lose grip. It also has a lot to do with power delivery from the engine down to the wheels/tires. Cars with loads of power and torque will easily cause the tire to lose grip in corners. Cars without a lot of torque where you have to wind the engine through a wide rpm range have smoother power delivery and hence not easy to lose tire grip.

That really depends on how much power to grip ratio the car is setup for. If the car has lots of grip but no power to actually power slide though a corner then you won't lose grip. It also has a lot to do with power delivery from the engine down to the wheels/tires. Cars with loads of power and torque will easily cause the tire to lose grip in corners. Cars without a lot of torque where you have to wind the engine through a wide rpm range have smoother power delivery and hence not easy to lose tire grip.

Still not that many cars are setup so that losing grip is easy. And I also note that regaining grip generally tends to happen much faster in reality, though the latest versions of some games seem to handle this better now.

Still not that many cars are setup so that losing grip is easy. And I also note that regaining grip generally tends to happen much faster in reality, though the latest versions of some games seem to handle this better now.

There are plenty of high powered cars that can lose grip easily if you know how to do it. Of course they're not "setup to lose grip". Watch Chris Harris's EVO channel videos to see what I'm talking about.;)

There are plenty of high powered cars that can lose grip easily if you know how to do it. Of course they're not "setup to lose grip". Watch Chris Harris's EVO channel videos to see what I'm talking about.;)

I'm not talking binary values here. I'm just saying that car games tend to balance this wrongly, especially the more simmy ones.

I'm not talking binary values here. I'm just saying that car games tend to balance this wrongly, especially the more simmy ones.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. In reality it is quite easy to get a car to lose grip depending on your speed. In sim racers, people tend to go much much faster than they would in real life and hence it seems to be easier to lose grip. But if you go at the same speed in the sim (so agonizingly slow after going so fast) as you would in your real life experiences, you'll find that cars tend to lose grip at very similar points. This isn't to say it is perfect, and not all cars and tires may be modeled perfectly, of course.

The one benefit reality offers in maintaining grip however, is that you feel the forces at work and get more feedback on what is going on (inertia, noise, feeling the movement of the car, steering wheel feedback, pedal feedback, etc.) than you do in a sim, and thus many adjustments are made instinctually in real life that doesn't happen in a sim. And even force feedback wheels do an imprecise job of communicating what is happening comapared to real life with a real steering wheel.

Regards,
SB

In Forza 5, if you buy the electronic double slip diff upgrade you should be aware that the default setting is for it to lock very easily both under braking and acceleration. - Much more so than in earlier Forzas.

It turns any car into a drift car, you can't give it the beans through sweeping corners without going sideways. Under braking you can only go in a straight line, easing off the brakes turning into a corner gives you nothing.

Lower sensitivity for locking for both accelerating and decelerating to 40% or less makes a huge difference (ie. more than 8 seconds on Barcalona in my MX-5 tuned for C-class)

Cheers

Nice video indeed, Robert! You need a GoPro to film your track time!

PS: How accurate is Harry's laptimer? I only just used it once on my last track day and am still trying to figure out how accurate this thing is... I guess it's mobile phone dependant?

Nice video indeed, Robert! You need a GoPro to film your track time!

PS: How accurate is Harry's laptimer? I only just used it once on my last track day and am still trying to figure out how accurate this thing is... I guess it's mobile phone dependant?

I'm getting a different mount for the iPhone 6+ and will see how much more stable the video is with the new stabilization feature + mount. If not, then I'll get a Go Pro but honestly, I hate having a lot of accessories and stuff.

The lap timer is very accurate in terms of actual lap time and compared with a race transponder. In side by side testing it showed within .010 accuracy for me so that part is great.

However, the speeds displayed are borderline useless due to the GPS update rate in the iPhone. That's why I got the XGPS150A which handles the GPS duties and at a much faster rate so accuracy is dead on.

Here's an example of the default GPS update speeds on the iPhone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnRLBbzCjrE Basically makes it unusable for lap over lap comparisons.

Back