Forza 5 [XO] *large pics inside*

Flies in the face of our current understanding of graphics rendering.

"So, would [cloud AI] have been possible last generation? Sure. And last generation we could have done 1080p, 60fps. But we wouldn't have been able to do that and the physics we did in Forza 4. So Forza 4 was 720p and 60fps, with the physics we had. Now we're doing things in the physics that requires so much more computational power, we would have struggled to be 720p, 60fps."
...really? doing physics in the cloud? :???:

Lets pull the internet connection and see if the physics undergoes any changes because that's precisely what will be affected!

The most logical thing is that if the drivatar system isn't using cloud, they wouldn't be able to hit 1080p. But from reading the article, they seem to imply that they are doing more on the cloud and because of it they are able to hit 1080p. So technically if I play it offline, either I would get lower graphics (either resolution, fps, or effects) or the game would be dumbed down (ai and physics).
Someone should ask them for clarification so we don't have to have a guessing game.

Is Forza an online only game or not?

Is Forza an online only game or not?

Its not. Dev described the driveatars [urgh] in the video with Adam Sessler. Its just AI profile for each player, with glorified PR description. They are cached to the HDD and then used whenever you play, web connection being present or not.

Cloud enabling F5 to run in 1080p60 is bullshit IMO.

Its not. Dev described the driveatars [urgh] in the video with Adam Sessler. Its just AI profile for each player, with glorified PR description. They are cached to the HDD and then used whenever you play, web connection being present or not.

Cloud enabling F5 to run in 1080p60 is bullshit IMO.
My take on his words is that he thinks 1080p60 wouldn't be possible for them if the game wasn't created with the cloud in mind since the early days when they began working on it. Maybe I am wrong, but I get the idea from that that they were able to offload things like the Drivatar to the cloud, without complex calculations, so now you have predefined Drivatar AI in the disc when you buy the game just in case you play offline. Those free resources allowed them to achieve 1080p 60 fps.

In fact they boast about it in Xbox UK twitter account -image below-... it seems quite a feat to reach 1080p on the Xbox One these days. :p

BYj6NioCQAE1mxC.png

Flies in the face of our current understanding of graphics rendering.

...really? doing physics in the cloud? :???:

Lets pull the internet connection and see if the physics undergoes any changes because that's precisely what will be affected!
No. You just missed the "And" after "Sure". He says that access to cloud somehow aided development and allowed them to hit 1080/60p at launch. And you could get any game to 1080p 60fps, if you take other stuff out.

No. You just missed the "And" after "Sure". He says that access to cloud somehow aided development and allowed them to hit 1080/60p at launch. And you could get any game to 1080p 60fps, if you take other stuff out.

So Forza 4 was 720p and 60fps, with the physics we had. Now we're doing things in the physics that requires so much more computational power, we would have struggled to be 720p, 60fps.

That's certainly not what this part suggested.

The lens flare completely obliterates visibility. No one would drive like that - it's dangerous (plus we don't have lens flare on our eyeballs). You'd have a sun visor. I look forward to when game designers start to include realistic sense in their design choices instead of splatting their fancy effects to excess (this goes for other games too, but I was taken aback by how obtrusive F5's flare was in that clip).

Having played the game at an event, it doesn't obliterate visibility. Hampers ? Sure.

And some of us do drive like that. On tracks where wearing a visor can be restricting in terms of how you see the track (Buttonwillow, Laguna, PDR, Sears Point) during certain times of the day. Some of us actually go without because it's part of the race. Wearing a shaded visor can restrict what you see when you need to see it and even THEY are far from perfect. Minor gripe.

Even then, 1) you'll squint, and 2) there's no lens flare! The sun will be bright and everything else will be nigh black, at worst, but the light doesn't smear across your view as a huge white patch (with extra, numerous coloured blobs). It's the obsession with representing first-person games as viewed from a video camera that boggles me.

Even then, 1) you'll squint, and 2) there's no lens flare! The sun will be bright and everything else will be nigh black, at worst, but the light doesn't smear across your view as a huge white patch (with extra, numerous coloured blobs). It's the obsession with representing first-person games as viewed from a video camera that boggles me.

For 3rd person games, it makes some sense. After all you are arguably watching the action from a "camera" anyway.

Anytime you're in first person though, it gets a bit odd, as you note.

So it'd be completely understandable if you are driving from chase cam view or bumper view. But doesn't make as much sense when viewed from the actual driver's perspective.

Regards,

The latest PR blunder - "Forza 5 wouldn't have been 1080p, 60fps without access to Xbox One's cloud"
http://www.oxm.co.uk/65749/forza-5-wouldnt-have-been-1080p-60fps-without-access-to-xbox-ones-cloud/

Thats a reading comprehension blunder.

He doesn't talk about cloud in a sense of directly enhancing physics. He is talking about how MS's cloud service for XBOX One was so easy to incorporate into development that it allowed the team to focus more F5 itself and less on "making the backend infrastructure".

Microsoft's Azure server network "allows you to bring a lot of computational power and server bandwidth to bear," Greenawalt explained. "It scales automatically and you don't have to write for it, so it's an instant server. It's basically a technology that allows you to do cloud computing very cheaply and very easily. It just automatically scales for the amount of people.

"That is really easy to hook up to with the [software development kit] for the Xbox One platform, that allows us to focus our resources in coming up with fun and innovative features, rather than making backend infrastructure. That frees up a lot of people.

"So, would [cloud AI] have been possible last generation? Sure. And last generation we could have done 1080p, 60fps. But we wouldn't have been able to do that and the physics we did in Forza 4. So Forza 4 was 720p and 60fps, with the physics we had. Now we're doing things in the physics that requires so much more computational power, we would have struggled to be 720p, 60fps."

The last part is him stating that 1080p at 60 fps would have been possible last gen but not with the amount of physics used by f4 but even 720p and 60fps would have been a struggle for f4 with the level of physics employed by f5.

Azure played it part by allowing T10 to devote more resources to f5's physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bathurst for those who care.

I enjoyed the video a lot. In addition, seeing programmers modelling the cars from scratch instead of reutilising the cars from the previous generation is interesting.

Sure, there are like 200 cars now instead of 500, but the more detailed and better recreated cars the better, and in that sense I prefer quality over quantity.

In fact, games like Forza and similar overwhelm me when they include so many cars. I can't focus on a few as much as I'd like to if I don't limit myself.

Perhaps this happens because some of my favourite racing games featured a few cars, most of them you had to unlock in an arcadey manner, even, but it was sooo fun. I never ever unlocked nor I purchased all the cars in a Forza game.

News:

Forza 5 is going to have 7 difficulty brackets, created with the cloud.

http://gamingbolt.com/forza-motorsp...cheaters-divided-into-seven-difficulty-levels

Yep, I sometimes wonder if they are watching too much footage and it becomes second nature to try and match that. When I look for ideas, I get trapped in the idea of looking at pictures instead of walking outside.

I had my eyes dilated again today (grrr) so Forza looks outstanding in comparison...so at there is that! HAHA (or it is all lack of sleep, twins are due monday)

I enjoyed the video a lot. In addition, seeing programmers modelling the cars from scratch instead of reutilising the cars from the previous generation is interesting.

Sure, there are like 200 cars now instead of 500, but the more detailed and better recreated cars the better, and in that sense I prefer quality over quantity.

In fact, games like Forza and similar overwhelm me when they include so many cars. I can't focus on a few as much as I'd like to if I don't limit myself.

I hope they will have DLC car packs like they did with Forza 4 because there are some cars that are must haves for me like this one.

Also since they have the X-Bow hopefully they will have my other favorite car the BAC Mono as well.

They will release a 10 car pack each month for 12 months, plus the day one LaFerrari 10 car pack; basically the same as Forza 4. This is a bit dubious though since the each pack now cost $10 vs the current $7 packs, and the season pass option which gives you the first 6 months for $50, is still fairly expensive. No word yet on the cost for an individual car, but I'd guess it's going to be around $2.50 vs the current $2.

It's argued this cost increase is due to the enhanced, more difficult nature of the capture process, since every car is now of autovista quality (ie. opening and closing hoods, doors, more detailed, etc.) but still a hard pill since the game comes itself comes with such a relatively low number of vehicles and tracks. Word on the street is that there will be a track pack as well, perhaps as early as Jan.

Thats a trend i dislike, some pc racing game did it, they priced cars based on a percentage of they're real world cost. There was a lot of outrage when they released a Ferrari 250 gto (i think) recently sold at auction for something like $20million which meant it was priced it a about $150

I'm the opposite. FM4 and GT5 premium are at the point of diminishing returns. Just make new cars and port the old ones over. Who can honestly say they can see the difference?

Back