Forza 5 [XO] *large pics inside*

It's not real when we're talking about a computer game. If someone shows screenshots of a computer game, we know it's not real, so there's no sense in saying it looks real.

Of course because we are already told it's a game so we know it's not real regardless if it looks real or not. What I'm saying is if you showed that picture without the watermark..I think the average person who is not familiar with CG would think it was real unless they go zooming in on areas to find evidence it wasn't real.

Or rather, if we're saying, "wow, that looks real!" over games that look like real photographs, that means 'photorealistic' for lesser looking games doesn't actually mean 'photo realistic' which makes a mockery of the term.

There's no stopping you from saying it looks more/less photoreal. Why not just use the term to mean looks like real?

No, I'm not. I looked at those screenshots and saw a computer game. I then described the features to explain how I know, but I didn't need to go looking to see what to me is extremely obvious. Those trees wouldn't convince anyone, at least anyone with a modicum of perceptive acuity. The billboards, the scenery, the lighting, is all wrong. Like Uncanny Valley for people renders that are convincing but look off, the world in these images is off, on an instinctive level.

When I looked at that picture I didn't even pay attention to the trees or billboards, I just looked at it as a whole and it looked almost real...and could be mistaken for a real photo by people with less exposure to videogames/CG.

Right. When computer games look that good (Forza 7), then we can call them photorealistic. ;)

With enough background blurring and DoF it's almost already there so could be considered photoreal..

Last edited by a moderator:
New showroom up.

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-US/news/Forza_Motorsport_5_Showroom

I4LcHun.jpg

kPJQqoi.jpg

sBIUj5h.jpg

SmfuePl.jpg

I dont think ever in the history of motoring have cars been that shiny ;)

Showroom painted cars at car shows can indeed look that shiny. I've been to a few indoor auto shows and the overhead spot lights enhances the "shiny shine"...:LOL:

Anyway R8, Mini and Lambo looks good, Beamer not so much. I guess they are saving the best for last? I noticed the current car list does not have ANY Porsches? Are they still negotiating on the licensing or what?:???:

Porsche-918-Spyder-01.jpg

Not bad - nice smooth and high-res with 16 cars. Still not too thrilled about the lighting and some of the shading though. Track looks accurate enough - I was there just a month ago, and you can see the location I was filming from whizz by in the video above:

The scenery is so-so (judging from the latest 60fps video). Trees and shrubs in the background look flat and, frankly, not improved from Forza 4 at all. There does seem to be a lot more detail at and around the track. I look forward to playing the game at release, but I'm not expecting a ground-breaking difference in graphics other than resolution.

On the showroom shots the car details are great, but the 'shiny' metal/chrome is exaggerated and with subpar reflections imo. Overall a hit and miss on the visual side, but as long as the gameplay is intact or improved, and the career more engaging, I will be thrilled nonetheless. What makes Forza stand out, imo, is the controls on the gamepad.

That looked nice and it seems to confirm that all the cars in the game have just a single LOD thanks to the extra power of next-gen consoles, which is great.

Unlike other Forza games the LOD remains the same to me, there aren't any transitions.

Thanks for the pictures, XpiderMX. My favourite is the last one. Xbox One supports 4k resolution -confirmed by Major Nelson- and perhaps they could choose that quality in the dashboard settings.

Thanks for the pictures, XpiderMX. My favourite is the last one. Xbox One supports 4k resolution -confirmed by Major Nelson- and perhaps they could choose that quality in the dashboard settings.
Why bother? It's a niche audience and a limited value to increase the sharpness of some interfaces. The added cost of implementing and testing a 4k output makes it not worth it IMO. Indeed, devs can look towards the wonderfully easy support of only one resolution when designing their game. Design for 1080p and let the scaler (or TV) scale the result. No more having to worry about SDTV resolutions or PAL vs NTSC. One resolution, one aspect, the perfect target for a game developer.

Meaning what the console has a scaler ? there are no games confirmed at that res
It has HDMI that supports 4k, and presumably a 4k output option. No games will run at 4k (save maybe some 2D novelty) but it is supported for developers as an option. The most sensible thing for any game to do is output at 1080p and let the TV upscale.

It has HDMI that supports 4k, and presumably a 4k output option. No games will run at 4k (save maybe some 2D novelty) but it is supported for developers as an option. The most sensible thing for any game to do is output at 1080p and let the TV upscale.

I guess the console scaler will do 4K.

Possibly, although that isn't supporting 4k and would make Major Nelson's statement misleading/incorrect. 4k games means rendering 4k, not outputting a 1080p game upscaled to 4k.

Well technically It could be capable of 4k even if there are no 4k games
ps: at the moment if using hdmi you need to connect 2 ports because Currently there are no timing controllers that support 4K@60p. In order to drive 4K@60p, two separate TCONs are used. This is why this 4k monitors support dual HDMI. Each HDMI port feeds into its own TCON.
but you can drive a 4k screen with a single displayport cable.

edit: xbox1 only has 1 hdmi out so that means 4k support at 30hz or propper 4k when single tcon tv's come out
can someone confirm this ?

Well technically I could be capable of 4k even if there are no 4k games

I can't find the link, but I guess they said "4k support", and games are not restricted to 1080p, they can go to 4K if developers want. Pictures and movies at 4K are supported too.

Why bother? It's a niche audience and a limited value to increase the sharpness of some interfaces. The added cost of implementing and testing a 4k output makes it not worth it IMO. Indeed, devs can look towards the wonderfully easy support of only one resolution when designing their game. Design for 1080p and let the scaler (or TV) scale the result. No more having to worry about SDTV resolutions or PAL vs NTSC. One resolution, one aspect, the perfect target for a game developer.
I mostly agree with you. Even so, having the native resolution of the dashboard running at 4k would make the console future proof in that sense. The Xbox dashboard is 720p and it looks good overall, but on native full HD screens the letters look a bit aliased in general. But yes, I agree with you that 4k isn't necessary for games on consoles.

For me, it is certainly confusing when I find myself thinking about what is the native resolution of this and that. But having a true standard is the way to go. Judging by your words... You're talking somewhere in the range of 1080p, give or take.

Eventually you came to the conclusion that there really isn't anything else that they could gain for going 4k when those resources might be necessary for other aspects of a particular game, and so, gradually, I think developers will settle upon a certain definition and that's it.

I hope that's the case in the future. Resolutions between 720p and 1080p, plus good Anisotropic Filtering and some AA is the way to go imho -I was testing Red Dead Redemption on my new TV today and I was awestruck, :oops: but something that went unnoticed before stuck out like a sore thumb today..., I am talking about the low amount of AF-.

For me, it is certainly confusing when I find myself thinking about what is the native resolution of this and that. But having a true standard is the way to go. Judging by your words... You're talking somewhere in the range of 1080p, give or take.

Eventually you came to the conclusion that there really isn't anything else that they could gain for going 4k when those resources might be necessary for other aspects of a particular game, and so, gradually, I think developers will settle upon a certain definition and that's it.
We're already seeing a couple of games not go with 1080p 16:9 to gain more pixel power. 1080p seems the upper limit of conventional titles, with others choosing a lower res and better quality per pixel.

Back