Forza 5 [XO] *large pics inside*

Troll much?
I don't see that as trolling. What is 'good' about the screenshots? I see a bland track, with little technical merit. Shadow detail's good. Atmospherics are okay. Oh, and the lighting and detail on the tyres is good. But everything else, including artistry (it's just a track shot!) is ordinary, even bland. And they're super-res promo shots, not in game shots, so they aren't even representative of the quality of the final game. If the final game has trees that sharp and fences that sharp, that's a plus point, but we know from earlier that they won't. So not even the excellent IQ is relevant to the game. Hence, what is good about those pictures? They don't strike me as presenting a strong example of best-quality racing game graphics. In and of themselves, they aren't anything to get excited about, and I don't doubt that if the photos weren't included, no-one would post any comment about those track shots because there's nothing comment-worthy about them. However, the inclusion of the photos makes for a talking point because they've been passed off as screenshots. Relative to the other screenshots, the photos are the only good images. That's only not true if the other images are good in their own right. Take away the photos, would you say those track shots are good shots? Well, that's always subjective. I've presented my take on them. F5 is capable of much more interesting screenshots. If one agrees the other shots are 'meh' then the photos are the only good shots. At which point, what's the issue with DieH@rd pointing them out as he did?

You can barely recongise Bathurst in those shots :/. In fact I didn't even realise it was mount panorama until I saw the pictures of the holdens on it.

I don't see that as trolling. What is 'good' about the screenshots? I see a bland track, with little technical merit. Shadow detail's good. Atmospherics are okay. Oh, and the lighting and detail on the tyres is good. But everything else, including artistry (it's just a track shot!) is ordinary, even bland. And they're super-res promo shots, not in game shots, so they aren't even representative of the quality of the final game. If the final game has trees that sharp and fences that sharp, that's a plus point, but we know from earlier that they won't. So not even the excellent IQ is relevant to the game. Hence, what is good about those pictures? They don't strike me as presenting a strong example of best-quality racing game graphics. In and of themselves, they aren't anything to get excited about, and I don't doubt that if the photos weren't included, no-one would post any comment about those track shots because there's nothing comment-worthy about them. However, the inclusion of the photos makes for a talking point because they've been passed off as screenshots. Relative to the other screenshots, the photos are the only good images. That's only not true if the other images are good in their own right. Take away the photos, would you say those track shots are good shots? Well, that's always subjective. I've presented my take on them. F5 is capable of much more interesting screenshots. If one agrees the other shots are 'meh' then the photos are the only good shots. At which point, what's the issue with DieH@rd pointing them out as he did?

They are 1920x1080 how are they super-res?

This is a simulation racing game, not a sci-fi shooter, they are recreating tracks that look pretty much the same way in real life too very clean and usually empty.

I called him trolling for saying the track pics didn't look good.

This is a simulation racing game, not a sci-fi shooter, they are recreating tracks that look pretty much the same way in real life too very clean and usually empty.

Mount Panorama is probably one of the less bland tracks you can do, theres houses and trees throughout it, it also has a entire city thats viewable from parts of it. It is far from 'empty'. Also im pretty sure shifty is talking about how the shots looked to have SSAA applied (super sampling) ie, they were rendered at a much higher resolution and down sampled for the shots.

Those 2 are real photographs.
Yes they are, I found the pictures here and just shared the links. I thought the first Holden car photo was in/game though. Even so I am surprised by the fact that Shifty didn't notice the paving's grit in the second photo.

http://www.gamershell.com/xboxone/forza_motorsport_5/screenshots.html

You can barely recongise Bathurst in those shots :/. In fact I didn't even realise it was mount panorama until I saw the pictures of the holdens on it.
Here is a side by side comparison between the real life Bathurst and Forza 5 version of the track. Except for the over saturated lighting it looks so close to the real thing, imho. :O

http://i.minus.com/ibuPr8wy7AuD4M.gif

Mount Panorama is probably one of the less bland tracks you can do, theres houses and trees throughout it, it also has a entire city thats viewable from parts of it. It is far from 'empty'. Also im pretty sure shifty is talking about how the shots looked to have SSAA applied (super sampling) ie, they were rendered at a much higher resolution and down sampled for the shots.

Exactly there are parts of the track but the parts in the pictures they've shown look the same in real life.

Supersampled PR shots.

But they don't look good! Every game is capable of delivering poor (unexciting) screenshots. F5 itself produces far better screenshots than this by and large. They are boring regards content and artistic representation, which is understandable as they are realistic and Barthurst doesn't loo to be the most exciting of environments. But then there's nothing of particular technical merit to offset the dullness of the content with some interest. This boring photograph would never be considered a good image. However, it was from a computer game, we'd all say how amazing it was because of the rendering achievement. Even boring content can be 'good' in how it's executed. But in these screenies, the execution is only so-so.

Or putting it another way, what is 'good' about those screenshots? What are the write-home aspects that mean most folk seeing those track shots will be excited for F5? They're informative about the track and show (like every track in every realistic racer made in the last 8 years) that the track is pretty authentically recreated. Other than that, Turn 10 haven't done really contributed anything with these latest screenshots. Look back through this thread at many of the 'good' images F5 has produced, and these aren't in any way comparable as 'good'.

There's nothing wrong with being honestly critical. Barthurst as a race track could play fabulous, and be a lot of fun, and look quite authentic. It just doesn't make for good screenshots as it doesn't exhibit any worthwhile artistry nor technical accomplishment. they're decidedly un-noteworthy images. Ergo they are not good. In stark contrast to the photorealism of two of the images which are absolutely stunning, totally noteworthy, by any standard of computer game.

new car pics

new pics are up on the official website

b1a4eac6-1f2d-4332-b627-a65f38cb486a.jpg

7d1e4ce3-be98-4802-bf07-76571b813319.jpg

6dd57a91-49d6-487e-adf7-d0d1d3b04a30.jpg

b7710593-e56c-43fe-9592-adb5786f0dcb.jpg

Don't know how you can tell. All you can be sure of is it's lowish resolution. Given speed, viewing angle, and average viewing distance, I'm inclined to think any prebaked shadows could be moderate resolution like this without that being noticeable in game when driving.

Yes they are, I found the pictures here and just shared the links. I thought the first Holden car photo was in/game though. Even so I am surprised by the fact that Shifty didn't notice the paving's grit in the second photo.

http://www.gamershell.com/xboxone/forza_motorsport_5/screenshots.html

Here is a side by side comparison between the real life Bathurst and Forza 5 version of the track. Except for the over saturated lighting it looks so close to the real thing, imho. :O

http://i.minus.com/ibuPr8wy7AuD4M.gif [11MB]

It very close in places but all very off in places, the over abundance of talk grass in a number of shots is a great example of this, it simply isn't in the real Bathurst.

Exactly there are parts of the track but the parts in the pictures they've shown look the same in real life.

eh0wzs.png

816637_full.jpg

Its close but exactly the same is stretching it a bit imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
new pics are up on the official website

http://compass.xboxlive.com/assets/b1/a4/b1a4eac6-1f2d-4332-b627-a65f38cb486a.jpg?n=Forza5_CarReveal_Nissan_GT-R_full.jpg[/img]
http://compass.xboxlive.com/assets/7d/1e/7d1e4ce3-be98-4802-bf07-76571b813319.jpg?n=Forza5_Lamborghini_MiuraP400_full.jpg[/img]
http://compass.xboxlive.com/assets/6d/d5/6dd57a91-49d6-487e-adf7-d0d1d3b04a30.jpg?n=Forza5_CarReveal_Mercedes-Benz_C63_full.jpg[/img]
http://compass.xboxlive.com/assets/b7/71/b7710593-e56c-43fe-9592-adb5786f0dcb.jpg?n=Forza5_CarReveal_AlfaRomeo_8C_full.jpg[/img]
Some of the cars are way too reflective/glossy IMO. Either T10 does this intentionally or their artists just can't get it right. Some paint shades look great, some look ok, but some look way off (like the 6.2 AMG).

Last edited by a moderator:
It very close in places but all very off in places, the over abundance of talk grass in a number of shots is a great example of this, it simply isn't in the real Bathurst.

eh0wzs.png

816637_full.jpg

Its close but exactly the same is stretching it a bit imo.

It doesn't help that the Google Earth image is a lot farther into the corner.

Some of the cars are way too reflective/glossy IMO. Either T10 does this intentionally or their artists just can't get it right. Some paint shades look great, some look ok, but some look way off (like the 6.2 AMG).

I first saw these on joystiq.com and even at "full screen" they horrible terrible, they must have scaled them down for the smaller pics and not used the originals for the full screen. For a big mainstream gaming site this is bad for PR.

http://i.minus.com/ibuPr8wy7AuD4M.gif

Looks much better in motion! Love the solid look of the trees. The last lone tree looks exactly like the real one haha.

I hate to tell you this but grass grows taller when seasons change...

Looks much better in motion! Love the solid look of the trees.

I hate to tell you this but grass grows taller when seasons change...

I'll stop with my point here, but i've driven around / been around mount panorama in all seasons, and the grass never gets that tall in the place it is in the screenshots.

I find that very hard to believe...

Well at least I never saw it that tall, a lot of places around the track are maintained rather well because they are private land and have houses on them, also in the least, the shear dirt/rock face in the shot has been completely changed to just grass in the Forza shot.

If we're down to discussing discrepancies in the off track undergrowth, Turn10 must be pretty spot on.

Cheers

Back