Forza 5 [XO] *large pics inside*

I think they shouldn't impact performance in any meaningful way, especially the weather effects. Night racing though is an entirely different matter.

In my opinion, even the most powerful PC in the world couldn't run a game that tries to match the shadows cars cast in real life during the night. Every object occluding the light from the cars cast different shadows, and they are always moving. I wonder if we will ever see a racing game casting shadows correctly in a night race. Perhaps not in my lifetime, who knows, they seem to impact performance so hard.

I think a game console that uses a PowerVR based MCM configuration could do all the shadows but it would be hard shadows? I remember back in the day when PowerVR used Infinite Planes rendering which allowed objects to cast shadows. Maybe Kristof knows if it could do it or not with today's PowerVR tech?

In my opinion, even the most powerful PC in the world couldn't run a game that tries to match the shadows cars cast in real life during the night. Every object occluding the light from the cars cast different shadows, and they are always moving. I wonder if we will ever see a racing game casting shadows correctly in a night race. Perhaps not in my lifetime, who knows, they seem to impact performance so hard.

Shadow maps are pretty cheap. Compute/Forward+ are viable solutions.

Now I can see why Turn 10 doesn't want to do it in Forza 5 though. Mixing IBL solutions and lights can be a PITA- takes quite some time or cheating.

I like this:

forza2_by_raziel1992-d6nzb91.gif

I like this:

forza2_by_raziel1992-d6nzb91.gif

the shadow resolution is much, much higher than the latests alps footage. is this the e3 devkit version or an earlier build?
edit: this gif demonstrates the newest footage so it must be the latest build :p Good news I guess! Also the AA appears to be back in

Last edited by a moderator:
the shadow resolution is much, much higher than the latests alps footage. is this the e3 devkit version or an earlier build?
edit: this gif demonstrates the newest footage so it must be the latest build :p Good news I guess! Also the AA appears to be back in

E3 ended June 13th and that video appeared on June 18th, so that's probably footage from the E3 version.

Drivatars are such a classic technology in Forza series, and they were removed after the first Forza, I am so glad they are back.

New screenshots:

748167_full.jpg

748163_full.jpg

748159_full.jpg

They look great but , they tell us nothing new about the game ...
Next month is the release , what about some news about tracks , number of cars on course etc ...

Old?

According to Phil Frazier, Group Program Manager at Microsoft Studios, the damage modeling is extremely sophisticated. “It’s [real-time]. We have multiple layers of damage,” he says. “Because of the power of the Xbox One, what you’ll notice is you have a layer of dirt and dust that accumulates on your car, so even if you don’t make contact with anything during the race, your car is going to get dirty.”

We witnessed the intricacies of the damage system firsthand, and learned that what starts with a little dirt from driving off-road can quickly turn into much more. “You’ll see a little bit of oil, a little bit of dirt and dust accumulating on the tires,” Frazier says. “Then, as you start to scratch the cars, you have a layer of surface damage, which won’t actually dent the car, but it will scrape it along the side. Then you start to have the actual physical damage, where the car will press in and you’ll see the body take dents, and you actually have the possibility for your car to start dropping part — like the mirrors, the fenders, and the bumpers will actually start to fall off. You add all that together, plus the glass, and you can really do a lot of damage over the course of a race. It’s a really nice effect and people have been looking for that for years, so we’re glad that the power of the Xbox One is finally giving us the ability to deliver that level of realism.”

http://videogamewriters.com/hands-preview-interview-forza-motorsport-5-64776

It's funny how in the second pic there, the ground shadow of the middle window-frame-stick-thingy does not align with the volumetric shadow on participating media.

It's funny how in the second pic there, the ground shadow of the middle window-frame-stick-thingy does not align with the volumetric shadow on participating media.

There are no volumetric shadows in Forza 5 that I am aware of

Back