Forza 5 [XO] *large pics inside*

I don't think anyone says it doesn't look good . Because it does . But it's not the visual leap we were expecting - it "looks" a lot like F4 . Yes , better textures , higher res , an effect here and there ... all these are more like a lifting .
If it looked like this BUT had weather , night races etc , then yes , that would be a different story . But everything that was missing in previous Forzas , is still missing here . And no , i'm not content with just 1080p and .. three layers of paint .
Sorry , but for me at least looks like a quick and dirty port and certainly not $500 worthy .

I'm glad you didn't put DC in htere ....
Both games look good overall and each game does certain things well that look better than current-gen, but neither are very impressive. We've seen better looking launch titles on both systems. I expect 2nd gen racing games to look much better.

RYSE, KZ, WD and Infamous don't run at a locked 60 fps at all times with 16+ Autovista cars on track at once.
It's all relative. Killzone, Infamous or anything Crytek made were 30fps or less on console and Forza has always been 60fps. Infamous, KZ and Forza have went from 720p->1080p. KZ MP is even 60fps "most of the time".

Being a big race sim fan myself, I would NEVER consider sacrificing 60fps for a racing sim, but that's probably a big reason why they couldn't push the visuals further considering it's a launch title.

Quick and dirty port right.... the above were taken with a Elgato capture card at the highest quality 1080p.
Quick and dirty port is probably exaggerating a bit, but not far fetched IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both games look good overall and each game does certain things well that look better than current-gen, but neither are very impressive. We've seen better looking launch titles on both systems. I expect 2nd gen racing games to look much better.

It's all relative. Killzone, Infamous or anything Crytek made were 30fps or less on console and Forza has always been 60fps. Infamous, KZ and Forza have went from 720p->1080p. KZ MP is even 60fps "most of the time".

Quick and dirty port is probably exaggerating a bit, but not far fetched IMO.

Did you even look at the pictures I provided?

Relative or not Forza is still running at a locked 60 fps at all times no matter the conditions.

The track is covered in fog around mountains, above the lake, chimneys pushing out smoke, thousands of spectators, a helicopter flying above and the spectators are fully animated.

I'm glad you didn't put DC in there ....

Like i said on the last page, racers from both platforms aren't really giving the next gen feel yet . They are pushing for realtime lighting and more polygons on screen to impress us while Forza is pushing for 60fps. None have come out with impressive visuals yet. Even if this is B3D, a technical forum, saying such things is blasphemy.

Did you even look at the pictures I provided?

Relative or not Forza is still running at a locked 60 fps at all times no matter the conditions.

The track is covered in fog around mountains, above the lake, chimneys pushing out smoke, thousands of spectators, a helicopter flying above and the spectators are fully animated.

You are comparisons arent like for like

RYSE, KZ, WD and Infamous don't run at a locked 60 fps at all times with 16+ Autovista cars on track at once.

There are a lot of dynamic events going on these tracks, some have up to 400,000 spectators on a single track.

http://minus.com/lS2jnLMuRrKJ5
http://minus.com/lbc2atWogPHHHo
http://minus.com/lbxN9piUh2XLhB
http://minus.com/lKrOlTnzizI5H
http://minus.com/lbg3DX7w6D2gRw
http://minus.com/l0nQ4kNnorTZs
http://minus.com/ls97OjsE8lU2K
http://minus.com/lmaZFB2cRyyTR
http://minus.com/lxitzuP0jEbAD
http://minus.com/lnGddqQG9nbir

Quick and dirty port right.... the above were taken with a Elgato capture card at the highest quality 1080p.

I hate to point this out but last time I did a check Forza 5 didn't run at 60fps even without other cars on screen. It's awfully close though. Although it did get better after E3. I spotted far fewer of these issues at later events, but it is true that 60fps locked is still difficult.

400,000 spectators, how many on screen at once? Los Santos has a huge population, but is the number useful?

The XB1 has 6-8x the horse power of the 360, it is a fair expectation that it does something with it. But launch titles are always two steps forward and one step back, they require new engines and time to figure out where to get performance, not to mention the deadlines.

I'd add that you can't compare a game like Infamous to Forza because Infamous is a super natural game. Meaning Infamous can do anything they want with color and lighting for maximum pop and impact, whereas Forza can't. Hence it shouldn't be surprising if a game like Infamous had more oooohh and aaahhh impact from it's visuals as they have less rules to follow.

Beyond that I think a lot of the disappointment is that is still seems like just Forza. I'll admit that when I watched it at e3 I though yup, it's Forza and wasn't hugely excited. It looks better and all but it's not a mind bender. Then again it's a launch title so we have to cut them some slack. They really need weather and dynamic time of day though in the next game to add some missing punch.

Interesting discussion, I land somewhere in the middle here...

1. It certainly does not look as good as I expected it. That much is obvious from the screenshots and gameplay videos posted. It's not much more than an upscaled Forza 4, and that is a disappointment. Period. Forza 6 will be the true next gen version of Forza.

2. On the other hand, would I pay $60 for a 1080p version of Forza 4 with new tracks?? Hell yes I would, that is well worth the cost in my books. Forza 4 is an amazing game with amazing graphics, and 1080p + hi-res textures will make it all pop so much better. I don't understand why anyone is attaching the $500 pricetag to this single game, there will be dozens of titles to choose from if you buy a Xbone, Forza should not be required to justify the entire purchase price of the console.

3. I share everyone's disdain for Turn10s frivolous feature-focus like Kinect support, while still, after all these years, not giving us a weather simulation or night-racing. It's almost inexcusable at this point in the franchise.

Then again it's a launch title so we have to cut them some slack. They really need weather and dynamic time of day though in the next game to add some missing punch.

The same excuses for those features missing from F5 were used to justify the absent of them in F4 .
I think they don't really care about them , if they did they would add them , even in minimum form like GT5.
Maybe they consider things like weather , night racing , pits stop , long endurance races etc to be too hardcore for the audience they seem to go after .
I hope i am wrong .

You are comparisons arent like for like

Same track, same car and Forza 4 has a hell of a advantage in my comparison considering they aren't full of motion blur like the Forza 5 video.

400,000 spectators, how many on screen at once? Los Santos has a huge population, but is the number useful?

The XB1 has 6-8x the horse power of the 360, it is a fair expectation that it does something with it. But launch titles are always two steps forward and one step back, they require new engines and time to figure out where to get performance, not to mention the deadlines.

It's 8x-10x not 6x-8x.

This a track based game meaning this is all loaded at once and even if they use some LoD on long range it still has to be there and they have to be full quality when you get to the grand stands on these tracks with all the cars on track.

Interesting discussion, I land somewhere in the middle here...

1. It certainly does not look as good as I expected it. That much is obvious from the screenshots and gameplay videos posted. It's not much more than an upscaled Forza 4, and that is a disappointment. Period. Forza 6 will be the true next gen version of Forza.

Calling this a upscaled Forza 4 is just ludicrous considering the modeling, texture, dynamic events, new physics engine, new sound engine, new lighting engine and of course all autovista cars on track.

3. I share everyone's disdain for Turn10s frivolous feature-focus like Kinect support, while still, after all these years, not giving us a weather simulation or night-racing. It's almost inexcusable at this point in the franchise.

Is this a joke?

How can you honestly compare dynamic day/night and weather with a couple Kinect features? :rolleyes:

The same excuses for those features missing from F5 were used to justify the absent of them in F4 .
I think they don't really care about them , if they did they would add them , even in minimum form like GT5.
Maybe they consider things like weather , night racing , pits stop , long endurance races etc to be too hardcore for the audience they seem to go after .
I hope i am wrong .

Forza 4 and 5 have pit stops and you're perfectly capable of setting up your own endurance races. Forza Motorsport 4 didn't have it because the hardware just wasn't capable of doing it at 60 fps solid, Forza 5 doesn't have it because they have had the time to add night racing.

It's clear they are working their asses off on this game to have it ready for launch and this within a two year development time on brand new hardware with overhauled engines.

I'm also going to go with TeamVVV's opinion on the game seeing as he has played it a ton of times and still keeps saying how it looks fantastic when played.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld5kak68VGw

I'm also going to go with TeamVVV's opinion on the game seeing as he has played it a ton of times and still keeps saying how it looks fantastic when played.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld5kak68VGw

To this point, has anyone been able to find a hands-on preview that doesn't describe the game as "stunning" graphically? There was some drama around monitor calibrations or something at TGS but other than that maybe these games' quality have outstripped the recording/online media we're using to judge?

To this point, has anyone been able to find a hands-on preview that doesn't describe the game as "stunning" graphically? There was some drama around monitor calibrations or something at TGS but other than that maybe these games' quality have outstripped the recording/online media we're using to judge?

Every single impression bar that TGS one has said it looks fantastic and sometimes best looking game on XOne.

Back