Forza 5 [XO] *large pics inside*

Not going to name names, this isn't a vs thread.

I just played F4 less than a month ago at my buddies house and I have played it for several hours before. I mean it definitely looks better, there's just not a big jump in IQ IMO. Looks like Forza 4 in 1080p with slightly better IQ. As I said before, though, the car models look great.

Kinda the problem with a lot of next gen games though.

A lot of times you wonder if it's really that noticeable a jump from a ps360 game.

for example gta 5 vs watch dogs.

A lot of times you wonder if it's really that noticeable a jump from a ps360 game.

Huh?

I've been playing GTA 5 on Xbox 360 straight for hours and it looks good but nowhere as good as Watch Dogs does....

As someone that has played 1000s of hours of Forza 4 you're completely wrong the car models alone are a giant improvement.

Only time Forza 4 has even come close is in downsized big picture mode pictures from it's photomode.
That's why I said the car models look great. Everything else, not nearly as much. My opinion is neither wrong or right... it's an opinion, and I've seen others say the same thing. I feel that I have played F4 recent and often enough to inform a legitimate opinion... you don't have to agree with it.

I agree... it's forgivable given it's a launch title (I feel every launch title is kind of given a pass) and it's probably using the same engine as F4. I just don't get how people are so impressed by it. I mean it looks great as I've been saying, I just don't see a huge leap, and that's understandable.

Last edited by a moderator:
forza 4 didn't have sub surface scattering, new physics engine etc...
Sub-surface scattering is essentially for the car models, right? Like how light reflects off of the metallic flakes under the clear coat? Again, I'm not saying the car models don't look great... that's one area where I see a considerable improvement over F4.

That's why I said the car models look great. Everything else, not nearly as much. My opinion is neither wrong or right... it's an opinion, and I've seen others say the same thing. I feel that I have played F4 recent and often enough to inform a legitimate opinion... you don't have to agree with it.

I agree... it's forgivable given it's a launch title (I feel every launch title is kind of given a pass) and it's probably using the same engine as F4. I just don't get how people are so impressed by it. I mean it looks great as I've been saying, I just don't see a huge leap, and that's understandable.

I must've missed the helicopters, 400,000 spectators and all the other stuff going on around the track including rubber pebbles last time I played Forza 4....

Sub-surface scattering is essentially for the car models, right? Like how light reflects off of the metallic flakes under the clear coat? Again, I'm not saying the car models don't look great... that's one area where I see a considerable improvement over F4.

cars and environment/tracks

If I can say this without getting a backlash: car models are sublime, so are the shaders, but tracks, tracks look lacklustre. Lots of bloom and flares to hide that theres nothing special with the tracks. Driveclub doesn't have great looking tracks either. They are pushing a lot of geometry and realtime TODs, but their tracks don't look that stellar either. They /could/ look stellar, but right now they are a tech showcase. Makes you excited for whats being thrown on screen. So are the cars of Forza. If I could, I would marry Forza5 's autovista mode and the tracks of Driveclub and buy it to feel good about my new hardware. Or just put the paint shaders of Forza in Driveclub and a photomode to boot.

For me, the next gen racer isn't around yet. Again, pls don't flak me for it, gt6 feels like a better complete package of drool worthy cars, with that tesselation, and photorealistic tracks, even if they are low poly. Somehow they get the photorealism and car shaders right.

And I am not a gt or forza or Driveclub fan. Bought gt5 for the first time a month ago. Have played Forza 4 but somehow it didn't click with me visually.

Please ignore if any of it offends anyone.

TBH for me that video just highlights, really, how far even car games have to go to get photoreal. We talk about photorealism and think of racing games as being the most likely to get there first, but the opening shots of the real life track were so obviously real life compared with any game, it's nowhere close. For me, when a racing game can show the environment like those opening shots and have those look photorealistic instead of the pristine cars, then I'll call it next-gen good looking. ;) Even then, the very brief moment of in-game footage shows very obviously computer-game car fronts. The rear view in the city was pretty good, but the front view wasn't particularly convincing

TBH for me that video just highlights, really, how far even car games have to go to get photoreal. We talk about photorealism and think of racing games as being the most likely to get there first, but the opening shots of the real life track were so obviously real life compared with any game, it's nowhere close. For me, when a racing game can show the environment like those opening shots and have those look photorealistic instead of the pristine cars, then I'll call it next-gen good looking. ;) Even then, the very brief moment of in-game footage shows very obviously computer-game car fronts. The rear view in the city was pretty good, but the front view wasn't particularly convincing

I'd say when you get the lighting right, you will have a real life looking game.
You can focus afterwards on effects like "polymorphic Fibonacci stencilled leaf instancing" and such.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQO6JHZl-Cs
This was done on about 300 gigaflop. Imagine adding 1.5 terraflop of processing power and I will think you have you photorealistic game, down to the leaves.

The Forza footage looks really good however, they aren't going for a photorealistic look, but rather, a lens-flared artistic saturated look, which ties pretty well with the pre-baked lighting solution they have cooked up, yet again. They need to have the sun at a fixed position for maximum artistic integrity. In a realtime lighting solution the sun won't always be in the same position, over and over again so I can see why they are reluctant to use that (most people would not default to static lighting if given the option)

You're right, but while driving, things can still be pretty convincing. Especially Gran Turismo does a pretty amazing job with the lighting under various combinations of day-night/weather on tracks like the Ring or Le Mans.

Also, the in-game footage you see there is mostly old PR material, and not necessarily the game at its best.

And of course I'm really curious how close next-gen version will be able to get to the photo mode shots you could take in Gran Turismo 5, which sometimes looked quite fantastically realistic.

https://plus.google.com/photos/103997796623806381708/albums/5548663905158317745

But definitely, the surroundings remain the weak-spot, not so much the cars.

It's the track that show the most obvious improvement to my eyes, and they're much busier. I'm not too bothered about cars though. The noisier paint shaders are nice.

I'd say when you get the lighting right, you will have a real life looking game.
You can focus afterwards on effects like "polymorphic Fibonacci stencilled leaf instancing" and such.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQO6JHZl-Cs
This was done on about 300 gigaflop. Imagine adding 1.5 terraflop of processing power and I will think you have you photorealistic game, down to the leaves.

The Forza footage looks really good however, they aren't going for a photorealistic look, but rather, a lens-flared artistic saturated look, which ties pretty well with the pre-baked lighting solution they have cooked up, yet again. They need to have the sun at a fixed position for maximum artistic integrity. In a realtime lighting solution the sun won't always be in the same position, over and over again so I can see why they are reluctant to use that (most people would not default to static lighting if given the option)

You're right, but while driving, things can still be pretty convincing. Especially Gran Turismo does a pretty amazing job with the lighting under various combinations of day-night/weather on tracks like the Ring or Le Mans.

Also, the in-game footage you see there is mostly old PR material, and not necessarily the game at its best.

And of course I'm really curious how close next-gen version will be able to get to the photo mode shots you could take in Gran Turismo 5, which sometimes looked quite fantastically realistic.

GT5 still impresses me even though I put hundreds of hours into it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Those do look good, but it's still the case of quite obviously computer rendered cars on even more obviously badly rendered backgrounds (same as all the currently shown next gen racers). Each gen gets better, but still very far away from anything that could be mistaken for reality. And if you use an actual photo backdrop, then you get even more obviously computer rendered car on a real life backdrop.

As Shifty said, there's still a REALLY long ways to go before games look even remotely like real life.

Regards,
SB

That depends on how you're viewing the game. In still shots, it will be difficult to render a photorealistic vehicle AND environment. But in motion, even GT5 can look pretty convincing as shown by the videos Arwin and SlimJim posted above. I don't think we're that far off.

Those do look good, but it's still the case of quite obviously computer rendered cars on even more obviously badly rendered backgrounds (same as all the currently shown next gen racers). Each gen gets better, but still very far away from anything that could be mistaken for reality. And if you use an actual photo backdrop, then you get even more obviously computer rendered car on a real life backdrop.

As Shifty said, there's still a REALLY long ways to go before games look even remotely like real life.

Regards,
SB
Some of the photos he posted are certainly wicked good shots. What's more impressive is the F1 video, and both the photos and videos -including the Misty one in the Nurbungring- show that PD aren't fooling around with the past but that they are trying to go with the times. The only thing -at least to me- that gives the rendered cars away is the tyres.

For now... well, the racing is the focus, but from a graphics perspective in regards to the cars, I would have to tip my hat to Forza 5. Lighting wise GT5/6 are still the superior games as you can see in the realtime videos. When GT7 comes out for the PS4 it will be time to have one as long as it runs at silky 60fps.

When it comes to backgrounds both don't seem to be that good, GT5 backgrounds and trees are sort of horrendous whereas Forza 5 has beautiful cars, and above average mountains and stuff but there is still room for improvement. Forza 5 seems to still give you that feeling that you are playing a videogame, as if it's too colourful -which I love, btw- or bright. It is difficult to explain but I don't get that feeling so much from the GT5 videos even with its ugly backgrounds and trees.

The reflections of the dashboard on the windshield don't look "video-gamey" at all in Forza 5. Same deal in that it features some incredibly real textures, which are so well detailed. I wish Forza developers could tone the "video-gamey" look down in future iterations of the game -the lighting is key there-. Other than that I can't wait to play Forza 5.

Back