Forza 5 [XO] *large pics inside*

Played a bit of Forza 4 again - what a smooth game it is ... reminds me of those old model 3/4 Sega arcade racers . Not a single frame lost .
I accept their excuses for F5 (new H/W etc. ) if the game is super smooth , but for the next one i expect more .

The lighting on the buildings isn't being calculated in real time. No need with static time of day. You photograph buildings and slap the photo-textures on and you get super-realistic buildings at minimal rendering cost, leaving more console power to spend on simulating and rendering the cars. Static lighting is the standard for racers. You'll only forsake it and drop to lesser quality environments if you are changing the lighting and the prebaked textures no longer match the lighting.

Although with the RAM and storage, it's may be possible to take photo textures at different times of day and lighting conditions and blend them, so we may see adaptive static lighting make an appearance at some point.

Yep. But considering that Gran Turismo 5 already had some day-night cycles, I'm fairly convinced that we'd hear about Forza implementing this too, even if only partial (GT5 didn't have it for all tracks either).

There will be a Forza 6 soon enough though, I'm sure. ;)

Yep. But considering that Gran Turismo 5 already had some day-night cycles, I'm fairly convinced that we'd hear about Forza implementing this too, even if only partial (GT5 didn't have it for all tracks either).

There will be a Forza 6 soon enough though, I'm sure. ;)

Forget GT5, Forza Horizon has Day/Night cycles. I know that T10 was not the principle developer on FH but I assume they are using the same engine at least?

Forget GT5, Forza Horizon has Day/Night cycles. I know that T10 was not the principle developer on FH but I assume they are using the same engine at least?

Nah, those were different engines. Just sharing assets mostly.

This Xbox One liveried Holden which also features Forza 5 is taking to the track (I expect some flames from the Ford fans) in the Bathurst 500 races.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/09/games-forza-bathurst-track

XB1%20Racing%20car%203.jpg

XB1%20Racing%20car%201.jpg

Apart from Bathurst, I would LOVE to see this track in Forza 5, the A-1 Ring -Red Bull Ring as of currently-. I was awestruck by both the graphics and the layout back in 1999 when I used to play a lot of racing games with motorbikes, and the scenery was so beautiful I always wanted to see this track in a game again. (I am currently playing SBK X on the Xbox 360, but the track isn't present now)

Here is a video showing the track in SBK 2000. Don't mind the shadows though, lol :D :LOL:

It's one of the most beautiful, best tracks for a videogame ever, imho.

Fuck yeah! HAGA!
Yup, I used to play the career mode with his motorbike back then at times although my favourites were Carl Fogarty and Troy Corser. I miss not having a Moto GP option in SBK games, though. I purchased the first Moto GP on the Xbox 360 back in 2006 and I also played other titles in the series since then, but it is a much more arcadey game than SBK, which is really satisfying and rewarding when you learn to play it and it's much more realistic.

The actual MotoGP is as exciting as ever now with Pedrosa, the genius kid Marc, Rossi, Lorenzo... those races are really exciting to watch. I also love the Formula 1 for instance, but I have to admit there are less emotion there 'cos overtaking is frickin' harder, which means that alternation of positions is less common.

edit: I forgot to mention that MotoGP series run at flawless 60fps, like Forza 5, which is a huge deal taking into account SBK only runs at 30fps, but the simulation aspect of the game is disappointing in comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
...flawless 60fps, like Forza 5, which is a huge deal...

This I don't quite understand.

Imagine Turn 10 implements realtime lighting and provides a realtime day-night cycle as well.
Imagine Turn 10 implements weather.
Imagine Turn 10 implements reflections for all cars, instead of only the players' car.

If they hit 50-60 fps with all this at 1920*1080, then it would be quite the technical achievement.
But in reality they don't have any of those features (which have been implemented for years in other, competing games, not to mention on 7 year old hardware).

So how can people praise the 60fps aspect of this game like it's some kind of impressive technical achievement?

Because it's 1080p and looks next gen...instead of current gen with weather effects...

PGR4 on X360 had weather effects and night stages. It looked great but also looked current gen.

Imagine Turn 10 implements realtime lighting and provides a realtime day-night cycle as well.
Imagine Turn 10 implements reflections for all cars, instead of only the players' car.

If they hit 50-60 fps with all this at 1920*1080, then it would be quite the technical achievement.
But in reality they don't have any of those features (which have been implemented for years in other, competing games, not to mention on 7 year old hardware).

So how can people praise the 60fps aspect of this game like it's some kind of impressive technical achievement?

It's out at launch. That's kind of a big deal.

F5 looks good (especially for a launch title) and I'm sure it will be a solid 60fps, but IMHO, technically it doesn't look as next-gen as other racers IMO. The cars look great and overall it looks sharp and clean, but the environment detail and lighting don't look much different than F4 IMO.

F5 looks good (especially for a launch title) and I'm sure it will be a solid 60fps, but IMHO, technically it doesn't look as next-gen as other racers IMO. The cars look great and overall it looks sharp and clean, but the environment detail and lighting don't look much different than F4 IMO.

Which other racers?

For environment detail, you may be misremembering F4. It's very next gen in comparison. Just look at that fulsome foliage.

Not going to name names, this isn't a vs thread.

I just played F4 less than a month ago at my buddies house and I have played it for several hours before. I mean it definitely looks better, there's just not a big jump in IQ IMO. Looks like Forza 4 in 1080p with slightly better IQ. As I said before, though, the car models look great.

Well the environments are very clearly, significantly more detailed. Maybe that's not something people will notice in a racer.

Look at the car models they are pushing, the audio, the physics, the draw distance and 400,000 spectators on a track.

Just because you don't have weather or day/night doesn't make a game a technical achievement.

Not going to name names, this isn't a vs thread.

I just played F4 less than a month ago at my buddies house and I have played it for several hours before. I mean it definitely looks better, there's just not a big jump in IQ IMO. Looks like Forza 4 in 1080p with slightly better IQ. As I said before, though, the car models look great.

As someone that has played 1000s of hours of Forza 4 you're completely wrong the car models alone are a giant improvement.

Only time Forza 4 has even come close is in downsized big picture mode pictures from it's photomode.

Back