Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

wow so you're saying, theyre releasing a xbone with TF bundle in the US, for the same price as xbone without any games, so theyve done an effective pricecut in the USA as well, I dont think anyones mentioned this yet have they?

yep bundle the hottest new game of next gen...in NA (US?) as predicted. so yes, first NA bundle is like a $60 price drop =$440.

It's not REALLY a price drop though. A real $60 price drop would stimulate sales much more, and be a much bigger deal.

By that logic those two free games pack ins Sony/MS do every holiday mean their consoles cost just $150 :rolleyes:

If you were already certain to buy Titanfall, and didn't have an Xbox One yet but were planning to get one soon, it's effectively a $60 drop. Yet it still just doesn't have the same psychological effect imo, even if you do fall in that camp.

Pack ins are never a substitute for a real price cut they are more like icing on the cake, or what to try in lieu of an actual cut in the interim, etc. They are not nearly as expensive to the platform holder as well of course.

If you look at the third column on your Wiki, Germany and France are lower than the UK. Other big Continental countries like Spain and Italy would be even lower.
Yeah, I can't read tables unless they are SQL queries. :-/

It's not REALLY a price drop though. A real $60 price drop would stimulate sales much more, and be a much bigger deal.

By that logic those two free games pack ins Sony/MS do every holiday mean their consoles cost just $150 :rolleyes:

If you were already certain to buy Titanfall, and didn't have an Xbox One yet but were planning to get one soon, it's effectively a $60 drop. Yet it still just doesn't have the same psychological effect imo, even if you do fall in that camp.

Pack ins are never a substitute for a real price cut they are more like icing on the cake, or what to try in lieu of an actual cut in the interim, etc. They are not nearly as expensive to the platform holder as well of course.

I think this is great move by Microsoft, they are burning money, but with brains, sure it's a $60 game but it's essentially a multiplayer game, and that costs money to play. So they may be giving away the game but in the end the players will have to pay to get their fix..

Still waiting for some clearance on the whole region locked thing.

I think this is great move by Microsoft, they are burning money, but with brains, sure it's a $60 game but it's essentially a multiplayer game, and that costs money to play. So they may be giving away the game but in the end the players will have to pay to get their fix..

Still waiting for some clearance on the whole region locked thing.

Agreed. A part of that $60 dollars goes to MS anyways when you account for their licensing and retailer fee (isn't it a DD). And if you want to play TF for anything longer than 30 days you have to become a Gold member.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS made TF bundle the standard sku. They would get far better pricing from EA for doing so as TF would then represent an ongoing revenue stream and for MS, the sku would probably encourage a higher attachment of Gold versus the current standard sku. Under such circumstances, for every person that buys a TF bundle and a year of Gold for $59.99, that investment for MS might not be lossy at all.

I was looking at the GDEX score at Gametrailers and for some reason the PS4 score has fallen while the XB1 score has risen. For the last 3-4 days the XB1 was above the PS4 while it was the opposite before. Some news must have contributed to this change. The question is what

I was looking at the GDEX score at Gametrailers and for some reason the PS4 score has fallen while the XB1 score has risen. For the last 3-4 days the XB1 was above the PS4 while it was the opposite before. Some news must have contributed to this change. The question is what

I see XB1 with higher GDEX score than PS4 all the time, I'm not sure how they calculate it though because even with XB1 has a higher score, PS4 has a more than double the tweets and more social mentions...

I see XB1 with higher GDEX score than PS4 all the time, I'm not sure how they calculate it though because even with XB1 has a higher score, PS4 has a more than double the tweets and more social mentions...

The GDEX score is based primarily on mentions in social media, but how an individual mention is scored will depend on that mention's 'influence' (the number of followers) and they also try and determine the context, so negative mentions will score lower than positive mentions. Of course the latter part is tricky, Twitter in particular where you have to be economical with language, is hard to read, as is sarcasm.

But in terms of how much a particular game or platform is being talked about, it's as fairly reliable. If would be better if they showed the raw data, e.g. x number of people talking about Titanfall, there's no sense of the margin of error introduced by weighting and ranking factors.

Dev on C4 Engine’s PS4 Exclusivity: Microsoft Never Responded With Slightest Bit of Professionalism

“Sony made a lot of good decisions when it comes to the technical design of the PS4. It’s awesome to have a fast, featured-packed GPU that can access a huge amount of fast memory. The Xbox One isn’t a whole lot different, but the slower memory and the irritation of still having something like eSRAM are disappointing.

“C4 is currently exclusive to the PS4 for the sole reason that Sony was much more cooperative than Microsoft when we were first exploring conversion to next-gen consoles. Sony treated us with respect and made sure that we had everything we needed to get C4 running on the PS4. Microsoft did not respond to us in any way that included the slightest bit of professionalism, and that’s just one more thing to throw onto the pile of PR missteps surrounding the Xbox One.”

The Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are going to have a great 2014, but Sony is a clear number one in the continuing console "war."

Sony has the potential for more exciting exclusive games than Microsoft.

Sure, Titanfall is getting a lot of hype right now for the Xbox One, but you have to use "exclusive" in a pretty broad sense--the game is also going to be out on 360 and PC. And developer Respawn is keeping their options open for the inevitable Titanfall 2.

But recently, Microsoft hasn't had a great track record with getting games that no other system has. The only notable exclusive for the Xbox 360 last year was Gears of War: Judgment. And we'll inevitably have some more Halo (although the original developer, Bungie, is now working on the multiplatform shooter Destiny). And the long-time favorite Fable series has more in the works (Fable: Legends), but the developer has lost their original creative director, Peter Molyneux.

Ultimately, Microsoft banked on a future that most people don't care as much about: controlling your entertainment center with the power of your voice. For me personally, that's not a system seller; it's a novelty that only works perfectly 60% of the time and makes me want to use a physical controller every time it doesn't understand me. PlayStation, on the other hand, has focused on games.

The general perception is that the PlayStation is more powerful than the Xbox One. Hardware-wise, they're not that different, but Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes developer Kojima says his game will look better on PS4. And there's been a lot of argument around games like Call of Duty: Ghosts that run natively in 1080p on PS4 vs. 720p on Xbox One. Of course, the Xbox can run games in 1080p and 60fps, but with multiple titles coming in with lower native resolution on Xbox, Microsoft's machine has been publicly perceived as less powerful.

So, how does MS start resolving these PR nightmares and stories of poor performance?

C4 engine looks pretty lame so why should MS care?

Because the fact it's the C4 engine is not the point, it's the sentiment and collateral negative PR that this carries. MS should be very worried if there are developers out there who are saying this stuff which MS isn't denying and by not doing so is basically saying it's all true.

Because the fact it's the C4 engine is not the point, it's the sentiment and collateral negative PR that this carries. MS should be very worried if there are developers out there who are saying this stuff which MS isn't denying and by not doing so is basically saying it's all true.

Nah. It sounds like this guy isn't used to the way MS does business and calls it unprofessional. If other devs stepped up and started saying the same things then there may be a cause for negativity. Was his engine used in any 360 games or was it exclusive to PS3? How long has this guy been doing business with Sony? I'm not trying to discredit him in any sense, especially given his credentials. I'd like to see other developer comments on their relations with both MS and Sony.

Hilarious.

The c4 engine was exclusive to the ps3 too, which I guess was a must since I am sure Sony would of questioned the ideal of an ice team engineer taking on a business endeavor of porting a graphics engine to the 360.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I had to go the C4 engine wikipedia page to see why I would care:

World of Subways (winner of Best Corporate Game at CeBIT 2009)[25][26]
City Bus Simulator 2010[26][27]
Lego Wolf3D[28][29][30]
Quest of Persia: Lotfali Khan Zand (winner of "Best Persian Game of the Year" at Game Expo Dubai 2008)[31]
The 31st[26][32]
Utility Vehicle Simulator 2012[26][33]
Bridge! The Construction Game[26][33]
Rolling[33]
Wingball[26][34]
Ludicrous[26][35]
Gremlin Invasion[26][36]
Gremlin Invasion: Survivor[26][37]
1 Carnaval De Distorções[26][38]
Tauchfahrt zur Titanic[26][38]
Bounce![39]
The Visible Dark[26]
World Hunter[26][40]
Rabbit[26][41]
GreySoul[26][42]
Project Reality 2 (Pre-CryEngine 3)[43]

And that answered that question.

(Just for the rest of you idiots like me who never heard of the C4 engine, who makes it, what games it was used in, etc..)

So I had to go the C4 engine wikipedia page to see why I would care:

And that answered that question.

(Just for the rest of you idiots like me who never heard of the C4 engine, who makes it, what games it was used in, etc..)

I already knew I didn't care but thanks for confirming.

Back