Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

This isn't exactly accurate. Supply caught up for demand for the XBox One sometime around Christmas. Since that time, it has been possible to walk into any store or go to any online retailer and purchase one. Titanfall doesn't release until March. So supply will exceed demand for several months.
This is not entirely true. While many stores _say_ they have stock, actually finding it can be difficult. I've gone through our local target and best buy a number of times since Christmas, and not once has there been an X1 in stock. (Not that I want to buy one, I'm just curious). Same for PS4. I don't know whether this speaks to small allotments or good throughput. In general, I'd say you're accurate, supply is meeting demand, but supply is not exceeding demand by a lot, if any.

Considering making the console the center of the home entertainment system was Sony's paradigm last generation, and has actually been the center of pretty much every console from the PS2 (PS2 - play your music and DVDs on your console, without needing a second player, PS3 - the center of your entertainment system, with Blu Ray included, XBox 360 - stream all of your content through media center, etc.), I am not sure this would constitute a paradigm shift.

The general paradigm has been a game machine that is the center of your home entertainment system. But I think it is far more correct to classify their innovations as iterations of the previous generation with increased emphasis on media than to say it is a paradigm shift.

A little while back, everyone seemed to be talking about the TV show Breaking Bad. I've never seen it. Currently if I would like to check it out, here are the steps I'd take:
*Grab TV remote and turn on TV
*Switch TV remote to AV1 and turn on receiver
*Switch input on receiver to Input 3 (Xbox 360)
*Pick up 360 controller
*Navigate thru (multiple) menus to Netflix. Check if 1st season of Breaking Bad is there.
*If not, go to Hulu/Amazon Prime/etc and check each individually

Or

"Cortana, play the first episode of Breaking Bad, I want to see what all the fuss is about."

Having all this various functionality (Hulu, Blu-ray, streaming) is not new. Walking into your living room and just having to decide what media you want to enjoy while NOT having to think about the 47 step process it will take to get there, is.

If your grandmother came to visit your home, how would you describe to her how to watch season one of Breaking Bad on your setup?

The first iPhone was a paradigm shift (IMO). All the technology previously existed, but it offered a better way to interact with it.

MS is on the doorstep. But they have to make it all work together so well that you wouldn't even consider the possibility of picking up a remote control and doing it the old archaic way. They aren't there yet.

If your grandmother came to visit your home, how would you describe to her how to watch season one of Breaking Bad on your setup?

Pick up the remote. Hit the programmed button that says "Watch TV". Hit the button that says "Find Shows". Type in the show. Watch what comes up. Because of the way my TV is configured, my TIVO box would search Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, and Hulu Plus as well as current listings to find the show. If it wasn't available, it would also suggest times to record it.

While my interface deals with buttons (which I prefer to voice btw - for a variety of reasons), even voice interfaces are not new. For example:

http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/remotes/voice-control/

http://www.amazon.com/InVoca-Activated-Universal-Remote-Display/dp/B000059S86
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57411497-221/samsung-smart-interaction-hands-on-with-voice-and-gesture-control/

I could go and find other examples. This is an interface change, not a paradigm change. It isn't even a new concept in the area of home theater.

If you were trying to argue that it was the best implementation to date, I would be more likely to agree with you. One of the problems that previous voice controlled systems suffered from was a lack of processing power to fully process complicated speech patterns. Having a full console behind you certainly helps with that.

However, I can't really accept this as a "paradigm shift". A paradigm shift is when the basic idea behind something changes.

For instance, if the XBox produced "game movies", where the show generated while you watched based upon your reactions. This type of move would fundamentally change the way you thought and acted while watching TV. I actually think the technology for this type of shift is there, but it violates the "artistic" sensibilities of those who produce shows. Another paradigm shift would be the XBox dropping the game machine part and being just a streaming / CE device. This is a paradigm shift because it changes the basic concept of what the XBox is about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Sony's plans to make the PS4 a device for streaming TV with DVR functionalities will be a real game changer especially if their cloud based TV solution will bring enough content that will eliminate the need for other devices completely. The difference between the consoles in terms of non gaming functionality will further narrow and the differentiating features that are supposed to be selling the XB1 instead of PS4 to specific consumers will become less relevant
http://ps4daily.com/2014/01/live-tv-and-dvr-sony-cloud-tv/

I think people would rather pay their cable companies $20 a month for DVRs than pay several hundred for hardware, even if that hardware offers way more beyond DVR features.

I believe Sony's plans to make the PS4 a device for streaming TV with DVR functionalities will be a real game changer especially if their cloud based TV solution will bring enough content that will eliminate the need for other devices completely. The difference between the consoles in terms of non gaming functionality will further narrow and the differentiating features that are supposed to be selling the XB1 instead of PS4 to specific consumers will become less relevant
http://ps4daily.com/2014/01/live-tv-and-dvr-sony-cloud-tv/

I feel Sony is going to spend a year learning the lesson Intel just learned the hard way, content deals are hard. And honestly, if you don't have sports (really the NFL), then few are going to drop their cable/satellite provider for Sony's cloud TV solution.

I feel Sony is going to spend a year learning the lesson Intel just learned the hard way, content deals are hard. And honestly, if you don't have sports (really the NFL), then few are going to drop their cable/satellite provider for Sony's cloud TV solution.

A year? A lesson? Sony have been doing this since forever, they own movie Studios, have some of the biggest music artists signed to their labels, how can you compare them with Intel. They are fully aware of what they are getting into.

And why drop what you have it all depends on prices and alternatives. It can be a supplement.

Pick up the remote. Hit the programmed button that says "Watch TV". Hit the button that says "Find Shows". Type in the show...
Yeah, my granny would already be lost. And not to be sexist ir incriminate my gene pool further, so would my mom. Lol.

I understand your point, but there's a reason so many scifi shows and movies have portrayed a very similar version of how we might interact with devices. For the most part, its because that's how we wish we could.

MS is close. I have doubts as to whether this generation will actually get us a lot closer. But MS is at least trying to move the right direction.

Is this really new? I thought lots of other companies do this already.

It was popular a few years ago but after a couple of big firms got their fingers burnt by the bad PR it generated it fell out of favour and was made illegal in most countries. It's basically passive aggressive blackmail in order to falsely portray a product or service.

Sent from my Xperia Z using Forum Runner

The new trend in Gorilla marketing is to pay people to write bad/fake reviews on the competing consoles/games...;)

Anyway I don't think there's anything wrong with getting paid more than normal for posting XBO related videos on one's YT channel.

It's not just about posting Xbox coverage, but about being payed to be positive and keep the fact that you are being payed to do so confidental.

To me that sounds a bit like bribing. Where do you blur the lines between what are accepted practices and what arent? Obviously, as the Ars article points out, this is threading on a fine line on what may not be allowed anymore.

IMHO, this is wrong and no one should be doing it. If one gets away with it, others are forced into similar tactics leading to less genuine honest content.

It's not just about posting Xbox coverage, but about being payed to be positive and keep the fact that you are being payed to do so confidental.

To me that sounds a bit like bribing. Where do you blur the lines between what are accepted practices and what arent? Obviously, as the Ars article points out, this is threading on a fine line on what may not be allowed anymore.

IMHO, this is wrong and no one should be doing it. If one gets away with it, others are forced into similar tactics leading to less genuine honest content.

It's straight illegal afaik, advertising can not be hidden like that, which is it. Which is why i suggested in the other thread that this can't be sanctioned by Microsoft, for several reasons. Apart from being illegal there is the other side of the coin. If your product is so bad you have to pay people to say positive things about it you are in trouble and Microsoft isn't in that kind of trouble (imho) and it can only make things worse even if you are doing good.

I don't know about any "fine lines". The FTC rules require clear and conspicuous disclosures about this kind of consideration being given to New Media types and that is not occurring in the case of this promotion. Based on the language of the leaked contract with Machinima, such a disclosure would actually be prohibited for participants. Whether the result of malfeasance, ignorance or incompetence such a promotion is a clear violation of FTC rules (and consumer protection laws in many other countries).

video makers have to speak positively (or at least neutrally) about the Xbox One, and they can't say they're being paid to do so.

You don't have to say anything positive to get paid. The confidential part is par for the course...been done by SONY years ago and may still be doing it today but since it's confidential you wouldn't really know.

Funny...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Manning_(fictitious_writer)

Pretty sure there are a bunch of fake reviews on Metacritic for games on SONY consoles over the years and especially right now...

Back