Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

First DVDs came out and people compared to Laserdiscs and saw right away how much better DVDs were, better video, audio, price, form factor.

Occulus is a screen that straps to your head, how does it replace voice and motion controls?

If anything it would open more possibilities with kinect.

It doesn't from that point of view, of every day social apps or TV related functions.

I was thinking more along the lines of... How would someone not be disoriented with VR-Headset and Kinect/PSEYE setup? Meaning how would the player stay within normal bounds (forward facing / interacting / motion control) without falling/tripping over objects within that space? If Oculus, or any other VR-Technology fully submerges you "viewing wise", it would seem Interacting with the Kinect/PSEYE "motion control wise" would seem challenging, almost borderline dangerous. Thus, confining the user to the VR-Headset and normal gamepad. I would think Oculus or any VR-Technology would have voice command technology or the mics in place to work with game and voice software integrated into it.

Or am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree. I think being in a world, and then being able to look at yourself and see yourself move somewhat realistically would be awesome and leave room for some interesting experiments with giving yourself a different body. ;) Kinect and Oculus combined could be pretty amazing, and it's likely to happen, as Kinect will be released for Windows this year (or so Microsoft has promised, but I consider it quite likely).

It doesn't solve the movement problem, but we'll have to assume that we can find some way to get over that. For instance, you could imagine being a Frog and all you need to do is jump, and lean in the right direction, but not actually jump in that direction. We'll get over that.

It doesn't from that point of view of every day social apps or TV related functions.

I was thinking more along the lines of... How would someone not be disoriented with VR-Headset and Kinect/PSEYE setup? Meaning how would the player stay within normal bounds (forward facing / interacting / motion control) without falling/tripping over objects within that space? If Oculus, or any other VR-Technology fully submerges you "viewing wise", it would seem Interacting with the Kinect/PSEYE "motion control wise" would seem challenging, almost borderline dangerous. I would think Oculus or any VR-Technology would have voice command technology or the mics in place to work with game and voice software integrated into it.

If immersion is really dangerous I expect its doomed to remain a very small niche. I'm unsure why you just assume that VR is going to automagically include better voice control than kinect.

I'm unsure why you just assume that VR is going to automagically include better voice control than kinect.

Why assume it doesn't?

Anyhow, I would "think" VR-Technology would have motion sensors within the headset to track head movements, and voice hardware/software on tracking voice commands and the possibility of future motion body gear (mainly hand/arm ware) on reducing the risk of falling/tripping hazards. My take anyhow...

One of the issues with head tracking is yaw drift, an external camera solves that problem.
Plus my experience with rift is you really don't want to be walking round while playing.

Erm? Each of those examples were given by milk, not me. Did you read my post? I specifically mentioned that perhaps better examples might include laserdisc etc.
Yes, I was somewhat agreeing with your point regards milk's selection of examples, by saying that the devices were you were talking of favourable weren't the principal innovators. "I have noticed a general skepticism to new technologies," said Scott. Milk presented examples. You said those examples were good. I said yes, they're too modern and you're looking at later devices when talking about those examples.

Typical GAF comment, without actually answering anything. ;)

Answer what? If you're just making random assumptions there's nothing to talk about. You can assume whatever the hell you want. I'd prefer some actual evidence that they are working on it.

Plus my experience with rift is you really don't want to be walking round while playing.

So what would be the point of VR-Technology and Kinect/PSEYE even interacting with each other, if the main sales point of these devices is motion control? Flailing your arms from the coach?

Answer what? If you're just making random assumptions there's nothing to talk about. You can assume whatever the hell you want. I'd prefer some actual evidence that they are working on it.

Not making random assumptions... asking questions on how do they resolve issues (interaction issues) with both products interacting with each other within a given space. But I see I touched a nerve of yours, didn't mean it, so I apologize that I did - AlphaWolf. ;)

So what would be the point of VR-Technology and Kinect/PSEYE even interacting with each other, if the main sales point of these devices is motion control? Flailing your arms from the coach?

As I said previously minimally it solves the yaw drift problem, but there are several secondary things it provides. It turns out that being able to see your hands in a VR environment really grounds you in it, now how you use that in a game remains to be seen, I've also seen Demos where the action takes place inside your room.

Plus I really don't think flailing is the only useful motion control.

VR in the oculus sense is about wide FOV stereoscopic gaming, with head tracking, and it really is an impressive experience if you've never tried it. My opinion is the wandering around and ducking thing while not being able to see your environment, even with a lot of space is a really niche experience. It might gain a following, but really didn't work for me.

As I said previously minimally it solves the yaw drift problem, but there are several secondary things it provides. It turns out that being able to see your hands in a VR environment really grounds you in it, now how you use that in a game remains to be seen, I've also seen Demos where the action takes place inside your room.

Plus I really don't think flailing is the only useful motion control.

VR in the oculus sense is about wide FOV stereoscopic gaming, with head tracking, and it really is an impressive experience if you've never tried it. My opinion is the wandering around and ducking thing while not being able to see your environment, even with a lot of space is a really niche experience. It might gain a following, but really didn't work for me.

Thanks ERP for an actual answer. :smile:

Let me ask you this, how big of niche do you think? And if Sony releases a VR-Headset, do you think it will be a niche product amongst its PS4 user base (if the PS4 user base is 30ish million by 2016)?

You would of lost your money last gen. The Wii had the weakest hardware. Barely a upgrade on the previous gen hardware, yet came within $50 of the 360 core. And only sold 25 million units sold the previous gen and gave the 360 a year's worth headstart.

You have balls, I give you that :) to use that price comparison as an argument against my point. 249$ for the Wii against $299 for the poor value (vs Pro) Core is hardly comparable to the $399 vs $499, where the cheaper one is backing more power.

Nevertheless I don't think I made such a bet, I mostly ignored the Wii, not its sales potential, but the whole machine and everything related to it. Most definitely my "runner comparison" was not meant to be a universal sentence/claim that can be cut and pasted to completely different situations... I don't see Wiimote type of situation here. I have zero faith in Ones ability to light the casuals on fire all around the globe like the Wii did. Wii was completely different beast whereas Sony and MS are much closer cousins.

Who knew the Wii would be last gen leader in terms of sales? Who knew that the PS3 and 360 would eventually overtake the Wii in terms of demand after the Wii ran off 50 million in unit sales in 2.5 years even before its first price cut? Who would thought that the Wii U would have practically no traction with its predecessor's userbase?

Last gen broke the mold, I don't think anyone can readily predict the console market going forward.

Wii's success was apparent quite soon after the launch. I remember plenty of people questioning Wii's staying power due to weak hardware. Wii U came once the Wii was pretty much dead already, it did not have a good active user base to jump from and once the weak specs and lack of games became apparent not many predicted success to it, although you can find some in the poll here on these boards.

In any case just because The Wii turned out to be a surprise, it doesn't mean that this round we'll see big surprises. North-America is a question mark imo. The One is tailored to that market and can achieve a good result there, but outside of that market things will not be as rosy and NA won't be as rosy as the past gen. That is not a bold prediction imo.

Do we actually have people here that think that ONE will do better against the PS4 than what 360 did against the PS3? I personally don't see that being possible even in their best case scenario, but I would like to know if someone holds that view point.

Had the discussion recently with a friend, I think it's potentially millions of gamers, but not 10's of millions. That segment might grow over time with the right word of mouth, titles and as the hardware improves.

Having said that I would take my views of the future with a grain of salt, I thought Wii would bomb...

Had the discussion recently with a friend, I think it's potentially millions of gamers, but not 10's of millions. That segment might grow over time with the right word of mouth, titles and as the hardware improves.

Sounds good. The key you pointed out is "titles", all systems and add-ons really need that to survive, or be worth the money on paying for it anyhow.

Having said that I would take my views of the future with a grain of salt, I thought Wii would bomb...

I think a lot of us did... :LOL:

It doesn't from that point of view, of every day social apps or TV related functions.

I was thinking more along the lines of... How would someone not be disoriented with VR-Headset and Kinect/PSEYE setup? Meaning how would the player stay within normal bounds (forward facing / interacting / motion control) without falling/tripping over objects within that space? If Oculus, or any other VR-Technology fully submerges you "viewing wise", it would seem Interacting with the Kinect/PSEYE "motion control wise" would seem challenging, almost borderline dangerous. Thus, confining the user to the VR-Headset and normal gamepad. I would think Oculus or any VR-Technology would have voice command technology or the mics in place to work with game and voice software integrated into it.

Of course you're not going to be standing. You can have tracking over upper body, like leaning and arm movement. Probably wouldn't want to make a tennis game where you swung your arms with force, or anything like that.

Back