Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Not including wavey Davey or expletive, neither of whom I know personally, but are on my xbl friend list, I have 7 people on my current xblive friend list who own an Xbox one. I see their updates daily. I have other friends from work etc., who bought the console. I had zero influence on their purchases. Hell I just met a cat at the barber shop yesterday who regaled me about the benefits of the Xbox one he just got himself for Christmas and he had no idea who I was or that I was a gamer too. He just liked the shit so much he talked about it. He's about 40 also.

Either I'm lucky (which I'm not) or you guys are looking at it all wrong.

The XBlive and PSN friend lists arent exactly the best unbiased sample to use for a statistical analysis

well your prefaced, anecdotal evidence is almost certainly fabricated because there is no way that percentage of people in your circle could ever find this abomination of a gaming console, made by the evil empire, compelling in any way.

right? :)

well your prefaced, anecdotal evidence is almost certainly fabricated because there is no way that percentage of people in your circle could ever find this abomination of a gaming console, made by the evil empire, compelling in any way.

You know what? You are right. I don't even own the console. I totally made that up. :LOL:

Who was doing a statistical analysis? This was about people I know with an Xbox one. Who cares about the other stuff...

Lets say that even at a personal level they arent good evidence. Online friend list is a biased concentration of xbox and ps online active gamers which are more likely to be core gamers/tech philes, which you chose to add in your friend list because probably of some common interests and you are more likely to have early adopters in there. In addition its not like you have performed a survey with them. Outside of that environment where a more diversified group of people exist, it is far less likely to find 10 people that you know at a personal level who converted to next gen. Its like using beyond3d to extrapolate a conclusion. In here the percentage of people who converted to next gen and talk in console forums is even more than outside. I wouldnt be surprised if thats even more than 40%.

Lets say that even at a personal level they arent good evidence. Online friend list is a biased concentration of xbox and ps online active gamers which are more likely to be core gamers/tech philes, which you chose to add in your friend list because probably of some common interests and you are more likely to have early adopters in there. In addition its not like you have performed a survey with them. Outside of that environment where a more diversified group of people exist, it is far less likely to find 10 people that you know at a personal level who converted to next gen. Its like using beyond3d to extrapolate a conclusion. In here the percentage of people who converted to next gen and talk in console forums is even more than outside. I wouldn't be surprised if that's even more than 40%.

I personally know seven of those people on the xblive list who own xb ones. Never mind the people who I personally know with them who aren't on my friends list or the random people who I have just met with one. I don't poll who has a console... cause I don't really care what other people buy...*shrug* :LOL:

As far as I know the PS4 can also launch games via voice commands and use voice commands in NBA 2k. And that doesnt require a kinect or a mandatory camera that costs $100 extra ;)

Given thats not the only thing Kinect does, whats your point? Plus, I find nothing enticing about having to put on a headset to use features that have nothing to do with multi-chat.

To me, its the equivalent to having to use a bluetooth headset to use the VR on your smartphone.

Better yet.
As far as I know current 3DTVs can display 3D content just find. And that doesnt require glassless 3DTV technology that costs $100 extra ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
No. I took the plunge on launch day and have 7 games already. It's a fantastic system that is going to do extremely well.

Halo 5 + $100 price drop will take care of any slack in demand.

We're wasting our time talking about MS woes. Trust me.

Lets say that even at a personal level they arent good evidence. Online friend list is a biased concentration of xbox and ps online active gamers which are more likely to be core gamers/tech philes, which you chose to add in your friend list because probably of some common interests and you are more likely to have early adopters in there. In addition its not like you have performed a survey with them. Outside of that environment where a more diversified group of people exist, it is far less likely to find 10 people that you know at a personal level who converted to next gen. Its like using beyond3d to extrapolate a conclusion. In here the percentage of people who converted to next gen and talk in console forums is even more than outside. I wouldnt be surprised if thats even more than 40%.

I'm also not trying to extrapolate sales honestly. I was just trying to provide evidence that knowing people who have bought either a next Gen system much less an XBOX One is not far fetched.

Given thats not the only thing Kinect does, whats your point? Plus, I find nothing enticing about having to put on a headset to use features that have nothing to do with multi-chat.

To me, its the equivalent to having to use a bluetooth headset to use the VR on your smartphone.

Better yet.

No but you used those specific features as examples unique to kinect. And obviously you can get those without having to pay extra or need a camera

No. I took the plunge on launch day and have 7 games already. It's a fantastic system that is going to do extremely well.

Halo 5 + $100 price drop will take care of any slack in demand.

We're wasting our time talking about MS woes. Trust me.

Kind of agree. Ultimately its the XB1 library that will be biggest determining factor of whether XB1 is successful or not.

If you have bought or will soon buy an XB1 or PS4, you investing in the promise or potential of the hardware. However, most will buy based these platforms on their ability to live up to that promise or deliver on that potential.

If Titan Fall ends up being a smash hit, Halo 5 is haloesque and a few other future exclusives resonates well with the gaming market then whatever premium MS demands in the future may not matter.

No matter how much I like the UI and Kinect features of the XB1, if MS can't deliver the games, I'll probably end up using my future PS4 almost exclusively. While simply using the XB1 to VC my TV to the HDMI 2 input when I need to game. LOL.

The only guy i know that is going to buy the XB1 is me, the guys i know that owned a 360 has zero plans to do so. They are all about gaming, and did not buy the Kinect (i was the lonely guy that did as well).
But i already know 3 that have the PS4 of which one is a major hardcore Microsoft fan.

Our personal knowledge is borderline useless in providing any kind of evidence :)

No but you used those specific features as examples unique to kinect. And obviously you can get those without having to pay extra or need a camera

Those specific features are unique in their implementation. They don't require me to physically interact with a remote device. I don't have to worry about donning an earpiece or a headset to use that function.

Furthermore, Kinect provide a plethora of features so the $100 premium doesn't boil down to one or two specific functions. I wouldn't say someone paid $150-$200 more than a PS3 just to have a track pad on their controller unless they told me so. Nor would I say that the "Wii/Wii U doesn't cost $399" just because they listed the PS4's compact size and the ability to stand on its side as some of its attractive features.

I cant believe on Xbox you need to say the full title to make it understand anything but on PS not where the feature is pretty much just a throw-in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RzmHmE-rNyg

I tried it a bit. It's interesting but piecemeal at this moment.

Personally, I still think they should integrate general voice UI with Siri and Google Now, then "super-specializes" in entertainment, especially gaming. If they want, use PSEye voice recognition for in-game control, and some standard navigation (including Gaikai UI).

Those specific features are unique in their implementation. They don't require me to physically interact with a remote device. I don't have to worry about donning an earpiece or a headset to use that function.

Furthermore, Kinect provide a plethora of features so the $100 premium doesn't boil down to one or two specific functions. I wouldn't say someone paid $150-$200 more than a PS3 just to have a track pad on their controller unless they told me so. Nor would I say that the "Wii/Wii U doesn't cost $399" just because they listed the PS4's compact size and the ability to stand on its side as some of its attractive features.

The PS4's price wouldnt have changed by $150-$200 if the track pad was missing and neither is it the reason why someone might prefer the PS4 over the XB1. The WiiU as you can see is problematic as a product altogether price wise and feature wise. People dont buy it. So its clearly an example that works like a counterargument not an argument. It doesnt favor you. As you can see the Kinect unlike the track pad does increase the consoles price by $100, a large portion of its potential exist or could be possible on competition, similarly to the WiiU second screen not everyone values its "plethora/unique" features like you and lastly for those that dont value them there is no other option

The PS4's price wouldnt have changed by $150-$200 if the track pad was missing and neither is it the reason why someone might prefer the PS4 over the XB1. The WiiU as you can see is problematic as a product altogether price wise and feature wise. People dont buy it. So its clearly an example that works like a counterargument not an argument. It doesnt favor you. As you can see the Kinect unlike the track pad does increase the consoles price by $100, a large portion of its potential exist or could be possible on competition, similarly to the WiiU second screen not everyone values its "plethora/unique" features like you and lastly for those that dont value them there is no other option

What are you talking about? First you tried to draw a simple comparison as if launching an games/apps or plays in nba 2k using voice is the sole reason for Kinect. Its not.

And what does product popularity have to do with it. I guess if the PS4 sold like the Wii U then your initial post would be moot.

There is another option its called the PS4. There is a reason consoles aren't sold like burgers at BK. Even then you can't go to BK and ask for a double patty burger on three pieces of bread with thousand island dressing.

What doesn't favor me is your ever changing of the goal post. LOL.

What are you talking about? First you tried to draw a simple comparison as if launching an games/apps or plays in nba 2k using voice is the sole reason for Kinect. Its not.

And what does product popularity have to do with it. I guess if the PS4 sold like the Wii U then your initial post would be moot.

There is another option its called the PS4. There is a reason consoles aren't sold like burgers at BK. Even then you can't go to BK and ask for a double patty burger on three pieces of bread with thousand island dressing.

What doesn't favor me is your ever changing of the goal post. LOL.
No you either have comprehension issues or you are pretending you understood something else.

Back