Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Once again, they are launch games, more than likely they've been rushed and not tailored to the X1's architecture. Drawing any conclusions from these results is not a good idea.

On the one hand your right. On the other, it really shouldn't be this hard for MS. Certainly their SDK should be considerably more advanced and effective than they appear to be making it very easy for devs to wring the performance out of the device.

It just feels like at every turn in their strategy they have over thought it. They certainly should have matched the base graphical power of PS4 and then added Kinect on top.

They certainly should have matched the base graphical power of PS4 and then added Kinect on top.

Can you please take this more seriously? Matching the PS4 and adding Kinect and keeping a realistic price, all at the same time, has never been an option.

AFAIK, Xbox One is actually selling at a profit.

If that is the case then they could decrease the selling price and make the whole deal a lot sweeter.

I don't think they're selling at a profit. Break even is probably the best case, even then if that were the case they would probably have taken a hit on cost and tabled a system that was cost effective.

If that is the case then they could decrease the selling price and make the whole deal a lot sweeter.

I don't think they're selling at a profit. Break even is probably the best case, even then if that were the case they would probably have taken a hit on cost and tabled a system that was cost effective.
They have said that their not selling at a loss, and a I believe they said minor profit but cant remember if the profit part is actually the case or not.
Definitely not at a loss that I'm sure about.

Break even is actually the worst case, feel free to prove me wrong, I am kind busy to do a search for "proof" right now.

Another cross-gen/platform BF4 comps:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/01/battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-current-gen
BF4 engine scales pretty well I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
What MS should focus on a lot more is actually not the graphics, but Kinect 2. The entire hardware had to go through these trade-offs in order to have the budget for that periphery, it's long overdue for the thing to earn its keep.
The problem with your approach lies within the very nature of Kinect 2.

In my case, for instance, I could never enjoy the Kinect 2 experience to its full extent, no matter the well-meant efforts of Microsoft. :smile2:

If Kinect 2 could be an universal unified experience for everyone then I'd agree, but many customers would be left out if Kinect was the absolute focus.

I think Microsoft themselves understand this pretty well, when they said they are working on freeing up that 10% of the GPU.

Let's concede PS4 the power crown, it's only fair, but also let the Xbox One be an unique machine in its own right. :smile2:

I absolutely agree. But focus on what exaclty? Will people be swayed with "Xbox launch"? They had it in their smartphones for some years now. I would love to see what they can do with Kinect 2 in next gen games but I seriously think only hand gestures will limit pretty much any kind of complex game majority of us here want to play.

Now if you are into Kinect sports I guess more of the same (albeit more responsive and precise) is something we will see alot of.
As I said in my previous post replying to Laa Yosh, that could be wrong because one of the most alluring things about the Xbox One for me was the combination of traditional capable technology and family oriented features. :smile:

I lack the space in my room to enjoy Kinect 2 fully, and many many other people is in the same situation.

So combining the focus on Kinect 2 for Kinect oriented games is a good thing, but just for that, because it isn't an universal experience at all.

For those developers which need that little extra, let them have that 10% of the GPU at their disposal! And remember, Microsoft are willing...

That would be the best of both worlds. Not to mention that the Xbox One is a pretty capable machine, actually.

PS4 + a cracked kinect surely wouldn't cost over 500 USD.

PS4 + PSEye will be Sony's interpretation of natural interface.

All vendors will try to differentiate their products. This gen it's Blu-ray for Sony. Nextgen, I suspect Sony's angle will be more PSN related (Gaikai and such). VR is another possibility, perhaps later.

Naturally, MS will fan out from Kinect 2 and offer their own vision of online gaming and VR.

Just read in the newspaper today that the NSA tapped Google's cables at their point of entry, so they could watch all Google's internal storage as well as traffic to the outside world. Google is pissed as they were never asked, and they are now replacing cables and implementing encryption also internally.

Just read in the newspaper today that the NSA tapped Google's cables at their point of entry, so they could watch all Google's internal storage as well as traffic to the outside world. Google is pissed as they were never asked, and they are now replacing cables and implementing encryption also internally.

I'm always surprised why people find this kind of stuff so outrageous! It's pretty obvious that certain aspects of public security are going to be very interested in stuff. And to think that it is a new thing is naive beyond belief. A large part of my work is esec based and, tin foil hats and conspiracy's aside, the amount of personal data that is freely given away, stolen by phishing, or purloined by malware is enough to profile the majority of people, groups, organisations, or businesses that ever use the web.

Can you please take this more seriously? Matching the PS4 and adding Kinect and keeping a realistic price, all at the same time, has never been an option.

Mathematically an xbox one without kinect is worth less than a stock ps4.
Lets say with its current gpu and memory setup its worth $349 versus ps4's $399.($329?)
That makes the Kinect2 worth $150 of its current sale price.
at near parity in the base system, the xbox would have 18 cu and 32rops but still keep esram and ddr3. Call that $399. MS could still sell Xbox one plus Kinect2 for $499.

Back