Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Btw PSN+ free games AFAIK are playable as long as your subscribed.
It varies title to title. Some titles are yours forever, some are only for as long as you're a PS+ subscriber. It'll tell you which is which in the PSN store.

Good news about the extending the program.

BTW, the oldest game is from 2006(Rainbow Six Vegas). Newest game is from from 2012(Magic: The Gathering 2013). So on average the games are almost 4 years old. Not that bad.

Anyway here are the games released so far along with their original release dates...

June
Fable 3 - October 26 2010

July
Defense Grid: The Awakening - September 2, 2009
Assassin's Creed 2 - November 17, 2009

August
Crackdown - February 20, 2007
Dead Rising 2 - September 28, 2010
Dead Rising 2: Case Zero - August 31, 2010

September
Magic: The Gathering - Duels of Planeswalkers 2013 - June 20, 2012
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas - November 21, 2006

October
Might & Magic Clash of Heroes - April 13, 2011
Halo 3 - September 25, 2007

It will be interesting to see what other free games are coming. Looks like they need some puzzle, car, sports & Kinect games.

Tommy McClain

Last edited by a moderator:
Xbox One privacy policies:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/u ... otections/

This should generate some uproar.

They may listen to voice communications to the extent allowed by law and no expectations of privacy. Does that include the explicit commands you gave to change channels or whatever?

Does it also include conversations when you're not using the X1 at all but it's always listening for a command?

The ad tracking is also opt-out.

So what exactly are the benefits of the Kinect 2? Oh yes, by being bundled, there's the "potential" for "groundbreaking" new gameplay, which has not yet been realized after all the years of motion gaming since the Wii. We don't see anything mind-blowing coming from first-party X1 games involving the use of Kinect yet. There's been some neat tech demos, like detecting your pulse in the dark but nothing new in the way of gameplay mechanics, other than what Wii has already done and an approximation of buttons and direction stick movements on controllers.

Maybe the benefits are for advertisers.

Voice chat on public games needs to be monitored, if there are complaints of harassment they need the log. It's not a private chat.
I don't think it's legal to listen to anything else. They did say "to the extent allowed by law"

I think they'll just accept that games will run at lower resolution on X1. I'm sure they knew that was going to happen. It isn't as if the games are going to be terrible looking. They'll look good. Just not as good as PS4.

Major Nelson: “Looking forward” as “truth comes out” regarding PS4 being 30% superior vs Xbox One

I wonder what was he talking about.

I think they'll just accept that games will run at lower resolution on X1. I'm sure they knew that was going to happen. It isn't as if the games are going to be terrible looking. They'll look good. Just not as good as PS4.

Sounds reasonable. Ultimately MS wants the XB1 to be good enough no the best. The 360 was shoved out the door with enough computing power to get the job done at the expense of a ridiculous power brick and a ridiculous amount of bricked systems. Now their hardware is solid and the point of the exercise is to get LIVE services into the living room. I think the pushback on rumours about performance differentials didn't help MS all that much in the end and ideally Panello Mark 1 stance ("it's all about the games" ) would have been fine. Then again MS not trying to address rumours might have been problematic as well hence Panello Mark 2 ( "we aren't giving up 30% ) and while discretion might have been the better part of valor it will likely fade away over time.

The performance differential might sting but might not matter but as Lilio points out "Dat Price" is gonna hurt more than not. Of course if you want Live or you want Kinect 100 bucks might not matter. For the undecided however ...

At least there is TV-TV with NFL later and CoD ... well :p

Major Nelson: “Looking forward” as “truth comes out” regarding PS4 being 30% superior vs Xbox One

I wonder what was he talking about.

If I was to venture a guess I would say its this quote from this DF article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-resolutiongate-the-fallout

So what went wrong? The irony is that despite the battering it has received from both the Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty code, Microsoft is right in claiming that - in isolation - more compute power doesn't produce a corresponding level of performance, borne out by virtually any AMD GCN graphics card comparison you care to run in the PC space. In our In Theory piece on flops vs. frame-rate, we replicated XO and PS4 compute performance with PC parts, and saw the 50 per cent compute advantage whittled down to anything from 19 to 33 per cent, depending on the game.

What MS should focus on a lot more is actually not the graphics, but Kinect 2. The entire hardware had to go through these trade-offs in order to have the budget for that periphery, it's long overdue for the thing to earn its keep.

True, the power battle is lost, we all know that now. Focus on the positive and that is Kinect.

Nothing else measures up to the PS4, so forget all the misinformation and PR BS such as "we'll let the games do the talking" and start banging on about the product that is actually better than the competition, no questions asked.

They planned on Kinect being a system seller when they went with an under powered unit in the first place, now they are getting their arses kicked they seem intent on convincing people they can compete.

To me this is madness.

What MS should focus on a lot more is actually not the graphics, but Kinect 2. The entire hardware had to go through these trade-offs in order to have the budget for that periphery, it's long overdue for the thing to earn its keep.
I absolutely agree. But focus on what exaclty? Will people be swayed with "Xbox launch"? They had it in their smartphones for some years now. I would love to see what they can do with Kinect 2 in next gen games but I seriously think only hand gestures will limit pretty much any kind of complex game majority of us here want to play.

Now if you are into Kinect sports I guess more of the same (albeit more responsive and precise) is something we will see alot of.

There's gotta be some upside in not losing, but actually making money for each console unit sold, but then again that is a business discussion. Chances are if you are reading this, you are probably a core gamer, which explains why media functionality doesn't matter and that X1 is a huge disappointment.

There's gotta be some upside in not losing, but actually making money for each console unit sold, but then again that is a business discussion. Chances are if you are reading this, you are probably a core gamer, which explains why media functionality doesn't matter and that X1 is a huge disappointment.
Chances are they won't make much more then Sony is making. Kinect 2 is sophisticated piece of kit, and actual die size of their SOC is on par with what Sony has inside their box. Thats the biggest problem they have. 100$ price, big performance gap and no way to undercut Sony like they have been doing this entire gen.

I guess they thought they "caught" people in "LIVE" ecosystem so they will pay more for worse hardware. If I were a betting man, I would bet on people not making that move.

Chances are they won't make much more then Sony is making. Kinect 2 is sophisticated piece of kit, and actual die size of their SOC is on par with what Sony has inside their box. Thats the biggest problem they have. 100$ price, big performance gap and no way to undercut Sony like they have been doing this entire gen.

I guess they thought they "caught" people in "LIVE" ecosystem so they will pay more for worse hardware. If I were a betting man, I would bet on people not making that move.

360/PS3 hardware didn't break even till a few year into their life cycle, on the other hand, Wii is making money on day 1. Are you suggesting that PS4 hardware actually have profit margin?

360/PS3 hardware didn't break even till a few year into their life cycle, on the other hand, Wii is making money on day 1. Are you suggesting that PS4 hardware actually have profit margin?
No I worded it wrong, both will lose in their first year and despite being 100$ more expensive, I think One won't be loosing much less money.

Last I heard Sony was loosing money on console but expects to make up the difference on a couple game sales.
MS is not selling at a loss at all. So they could actually get a lot closer prise wise I suspect.
so far it's only COD that's significantly underperforming, and there can be some arguments about BF4 (as it's a somewhat less important game and the performance delta is much smaller anyway).

So I'd say it's a bit too early to just write graphics on X1 off completely.
Pretty much exactly my thoughts on the matter.

I think that the news of COD:G has made people loose perspective, and not much has truly changed apart from peoples perceptions now, which in itself isn't good.

Voice chat on public games needs to be monitored, if there are complaints of harassment they need the log. It's not a private chat.
I don't think it's legal to listen to anything else. They did say "to the extent allowed by law"

Considering what the law "allows" to be monitored these days by using their own justifications and through lack of transparency that doesnt sound very good either.

it's that the system is apparently struggling with games that it should be able to practically sleep through.

Once again, they are launch games, more than likely they've been rushed and not tailored to the X1's architecture. Drawing any conclusions from these results is not a good idea.

Back