Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

It's. Not. That. Simple.
The UK, US, and Australia all use English as their official language, and guess what? The voice reco databases are different in each of those countries.

This is interesting, also what Joker found.

But I am still surprised. Germany has many dialects as well. People from Munic, Cologne or Berlin, all talk in different dialects and there are many more. Of course, it is the same in Austria (and german speaking Switzerland). A lot of those dialects (especially close the border) are even shared.

But in all those countries, there is a common base: standard German which nearly all people are capable of speaking and which should be the aim of a voice recognition device. I am not sure about the US, UK and Australia and if the people are capable of something like standard english. I hope that MS is not extrapolating those countries to other countries which look similar from the outside, but might be really different inside.

It occurred to me today what a horrible mistake MS made by not having a Halo game ready for the launch of the Xbox One. They probably figured it worked out ok for the 360 launch. They also probably wanted to sell Halo5 to a larger base. I can't help think consumer momentum may be different for MS if they had a nextgen exclusive fps.

It occurred to me today what a horrible mistake MS made by not having a Halo game ready for the launch of the Xbox One. They probably figured it worked out ok for the 360 launch. They also probably wanted to sell Halo5 to a larger base. I can't help think consumer momentum may be different for MS if they had a nextgen exclusive fps.

Titanfall says hello.

But that's not an exclusive though, its coming out on the PC as well.

Yes, but its not available on PS4 so it fits close enough what Halo5 will be, perhaps even more so considering what a proper fuckup Halo4 is.

Yes, but its not available on PS4 so it fits close enough what Halo5 will be, perhaps even more so considering what a proper fuckup Halo4 is.

I'd argue that warframe is a closer match. I can't see titanfall remaining an exclusive, whatever money has been paid to EA it probably just covers a limited period and a muzzle to stop people talking about it.

There is no console exclusive fps on the xbone, like KZ on the PS4 which is truly exclusive. Unless, to be pedantic, you count remote play on the vita.

I didn't think halo 4 was that bad, not better than reach but miles ahead of 3.

I think Bono is right there, it's just a question of time, or a lot of money really.

XB1's FIFA deal is only for Day One preorders. MS PR ballsed up again. (original tweet that all preorders get FIFA). The new statement also says it's only valid up to Christmas, so presently those delayed countries are missing out on this deal, although it's possible MS provide them with something regional.

Titanfall says hello.

I wouldn't compare an unknown franchise to Halo in terms of consumer perception. Relying on Titanfall to build consumer enthusiasm has its own punishments, because Sony will most likely get that series next year. It some ways it fits that niche. But its not the same as launching with your flagship series. Nintendo makes this mistake as well. Also Titanfall doesn't come out until Spring (can you say summer/fall delay).

Im' just saying the prelaunch landscape would be different and less One negative among the hardcore had a good looking Halo game been launching with the system. Then it would be more seen as a fight between Killzone and Halo. Changes the entire landscape. I believe it is a major tactical mistake on MS's part. Hell they could have shipped ever One with a mp only Halo Online preinstalled on the HD or day one download. There's your $100 premium. Then released a full sp/mp Halo5 in 2015. TitanFall exclusive fall 2014.

It's impossible for us to know what the specific localization issues are, assuming that's the issue.
The obviously whoever used that argument was talking based on assumptions
So? Clearly something isn't ready yet for those other markets, so don't ship it. Makes sense, it wouldn't be the first product ever that was delayed in other regions.
No. If what you want to offer is unrealistic and that causes huge problems such as a delay and localization problems you obviously cant talk about perfection, you dont have realistic priorities and you fail to meet your promises. Which means you have obviously made a mistake in that decision. Its that simple.

I already did, they don't want to sell it without voice control. That's the package and image they want, period. If they didn't then they would have made Kinect optional. It's no different than a game company not wanting to ship a game that isn't feature complete, like skipping an entire skill tree and patching it in later. It's not the image they want.
No you didnt. I asked what are the revolutionary and exceptional new features voice commands will offer. You didnt. Neither had MS. That image you are talking about? Has not been defined. Secondly you purposely assume I implied no voice controls whereas voice controls will still be there as an option

Really? Then why did people constantly complain about missing features in Xbox Live around the world? The usa market had them all, that should have been enough to establish the message well right? So everyone else should be content without them? I don't understand what you are getting at.
You are exaggerating. SImple as that. What are these features that XBOX live is missing in some territories? BBC Live? US TV and other national specific services? Guess what. There still will be specific services that wont be accessed by everyone. BOO!! And secondly these people dont complain because these services arent localized to their language and culture. Its because they cant access them at all. Having no voice controls at all and having voice controls available in English to territories where English is not a native language is different.

Responding to people in their native language is the money shot that everyone aside from Sony are rapidly going after. There is *huge* value in that.
And huge cost delaying your product and not being able to meet your promise in time.
You know perfectly well they probably found an issue in meeting that promise on time as you perfectly show below

Maybe they did think they would have solved it in time. Pro-tip: software deadlines sometimes aren't met. Duke Nukem Forever was supposed to take just a couple of years to make, Apple thought their Mapping app would have been ready in time, etc. When it became clear deadlines wouldn't be met, then the tough decisions had to be made, ship or don't ship.
No shit sherlock.
Now you are talking my language. Thank you for bringing up those disastrous examples where they have missed the deadline and failed to meet the promise. That was exactly my point.

How am I ignoring it? I am such a gamer, I overlap both markets. I still thinking shipping it when it's not ready is dumb.
Then stop talking about "gamer market" and "non gamer market" as if they are absolutely separate markets with no overlapping.

Without voice, it basically does what lots of other devices already do. It doesn't distinguish itself as well, it doesn't stand out, it's not as revolutionary, it's significantly more boring, bland and mundane. It plays games, great so does my laptop. It plays movies, great so does a Roku. It can Skype, great so does my phone. Where's the new and revolutionary?
The difference is that voice commands will be available, thanks to covering all basic languages including English.

XB1's FIFA deal is only for Day One preorders. MS PR ballsed up again. (original tweet that all preorders get FIFA). The new statement also says it's only valid up to Christmas, so presently those delayed countries are missing out on this deal, although it's possible MS provide them with something regional.

Maybe the 8 counties left behind will get the deal anyway; maybe the the offer is valid for those that have already pre-ordered a day one edition there.

It occurred to me today what a horrible mistake MS made by not having a Halo game ready for the launch of the Xbox One.

Titanfall says hello.

It's not a launch game, it's a vague "2014" release. Are we talking Infamous Second Son (February 2014), The Division (Christmas 2014) or somewhere in-between? Halo 3 didn't launch until a year after the Xbox 360 was available though, I'm not sure why it's a surprising the One would launch without a new Halo game.

Maybe the 8 counties left behind will get the deal anyway; maybe the the offer is valid for those that have already pre-ordered a day one edition there.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-confirmed-markets

"If you are in these markets and have questions about your pre-order, please contact the local retailer where you placed your pre-order. To show our appreciation for your patience, if you have already preordered an Xbox One Day One system before today in those countries, you will also receive a pack-in game with your console when it launches."

http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-confirmed-markets

"If you are in these markets and have questions about your pre-order, please contact the local retailer where you placed your pre-order. To show our appreciation for your patience, if you have already preordered an Xbox One Day One system before today in those countries, you will also receive a pack-in game with your console when it launches."
That's a bonus game as a compensation for those who preordered having to wait some extra months.

That's a bonus game as a compensation for those who preordered having to wait some extra months.

Yes i know

i was replying to this:
"maybe the the offer is valid for those that have already pre-ordered a day one edition there"

And Ms will give them a free game
(could be the infamous Dorito´s i know :devilish:)

I guess that for the delayed european countries, it´ll be a similar bundle than their relatives if preorders are on the same level....

@Michellstar

MS also says: "For full details and to take advantage of this offer, customers should follow up with the local retailer they pre-ordered with and they will be able to share more information closer to launch."

This makes me think that there won't be a free title/game for every pre-order.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lack of language support for some countries might affect the marketing. If they're pushing a next-gen console plus nifty universal voice remote, it's better to do that from the off.

The not simultaneous worldwide launch is probably as much supply related as anything. Like with the PS360 launches.

Few things launch everywhere at once. They've got the big territories covered.

Hmmm, selling a console with lesser spec than a PS4 at a higher price than PS4. The only thing that could justify the price difference doesn't work well...hmm, can you imagine the pr nightmare to control the message? Buy it, it will work some day in the future...trust us.

Back