Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

I could be wrong, but I don't believe we've seen a retail version of either console... (the quirk is that the XB1 devkit is almost indistinguishable from a retail console from the outside - just an extra port I think?)

Yes you are wrong. Xbox's MajorNelson did a retail kit unboxing video a month ago. Nothing of the sort exists for Sony Ps4.

I meant in terms of "seeing it running something" :). (I think people are less concerned that the hardware fits in the box, and more how it performs/heats/sounds - and afair we haven't seen final hardware running for either console).

Way to keep moving the goal posts...

Way to keep moving the goal posts...

Sorry :(.

Doh, I just realised that my previous post might sound a bit harsh - I meant people assume that the "motherboard will fit inside the case" rather than trying to be insulting about the video!

It's entirely possible that one (or more) of the demos we've seen has been on an actual console, but the lack of 'senior management' making a big deal out of it tends to imply that neither company has done it yet.

If we forget the rumours and concentrate on the actual evidence, MS is further along in production than Sony.

They've done an unboxing, had 200 units on the floor at Gamescom with playable Ryse, Forza, and Kinect Sports etc..., they had earlier FCC approval...

I think Pachter was right: MS will get more units into the chain than Sony this holiday.

Are any of those things evidence for production?

I guess Sony will have 32 countries with 100 consoles for each then, sad.

An unboxing of one of the first production units...
And you don't think that's proof of production.
I don't think you will be satisfied until you see the boxed units on the selves, which is fine.
Just means no one will be able to provide you with adequate proof until then.
As even pictures of boxed units could be empty boxes obviously.

An unboxing of one of the first production units...
And you don't think that's proof of production.
I don't think you will be satisfied until you see the boxed units on the selves, which is fine.
Just means no one will be able to provide you with adequate proof until then.
As even pictures of boxed units could be empty boxes obviously.

I was speaking about volume, read the context. Both are ready and in the middle of actual production, the question is how many will they have by launch.

I think Pachter was right: MS will get more units into the chain than Sony this holiday.
I don't see that as proof MS will have more available. I don't think Sony has ever shown an unboxing vid, so the absence of such a vid doesn't prove absence of hardware. Nor does use of devkits instead of final hardware. Final hardware would require finalised, signed demo's to be produced, which is an added faf. The game is the same running on devkits or final hardware, so why not run on devkits? The only reason I would bother to present real hardware at a show is to provide the full experience, so have it available for people to try from home page and select games etc. Without that, with games locked to specific booths, it doesn't require breaking out final hardware. Leave it in the boxes in the warehouse to sell to people...

The only way to infer who'll have most stock is either by some leaks from the manufacturers, some numbers from MS and Sony, or just waiting and seeing on the day.

I was speaking about volume, read the context. Both are ready and in the middle of actual production, the question is how many will they have by launch.
And even if they said they was producing volumes you wouldn't believe.
You would just say, that could mean anything. So I guess you never read the context of my post.

Unless either say how much they have, and are producing currently we're not going to know.
So what's your point again?

I quite liked:

Metro: After the Microsoft event I went to EA’s media briefing, and it was clear the two were working very closely together. EA also seemed very keen on the phrase ‘taking it to the next level’.

Sony's Jim Ryan: The next level?

Metro: Yeah, they’re taking all their games to the next level.

Sony's Jim Ryan: What does that mean though?

Metro: I have no idea. They just kept saying it.

Sony's Jim Ryan: [laughs]

I don't read the Metro - quote an achievement working in London where you have to perform gymnastics to avoid having a free copy shoved in your face very 10 yards but I was quite impressed at the questioning. But it was interesting to get the perspective that Sony thought Microsoft were security DLC/content exclusivity on current IPs like CoD and Battlefield whereas Sony were doing it for new IPs like Destiny and Watch Dogs. It'll be interesting to see which proves the more attractive in the long run.

The Metro gave Microsoft's Phil Harrison a fairly hard time too. He tried to play up Kinect but the Metro were having none of it. :nope: Definitely a tougher interviewer than much of the mainstream gaming media.

Are any of those things evidence for production

The Metro interviewed Sony's Jim Ryan at Gamescom, who mentioned:

Jim Ryan said:
We’re just getting going with the factory production, the curve is like that [mimes a graph with exponential growth – GC]. Obviously that’s not going to come through on your recording.

So it sounds like Sony have only just started production on anything like a large scale. Both companies are likely on very similar production timetables.

If we forget the rumours and concentrate on the actual evidence, MS is further along in production than Sony.

They've done an unboxing, had 200 units on the floor at Gamescom with playable Ryse, Forza, and Kinect Sports etc..., they had earlier FCC approval...

I believe an MS rep posted at GAF that the units at GC were "near final spec'd units" (or something along those lines) which means they were probably devkits. Devkits look like retail units. There were many games shown on PS4 devkits too. And when both systems cleared FCC has little to nothing to do with the launch date. The PS3 cleared FCC in October 2006. And when has Pachter been right about anything?

Both PS4 and X1 day 1/launch editions are sold out at amazon.com and the the PS4 is 4th and the X1 is 7th in the "Best sellers of 2013" list. We have also heard multiple people say that gamestop has more pre-order slots available for PS4 vs X1. We also know that the PS4 is launching in 32 countries vs 13. And we know MS made so many last minute changes, like clock speeds and all the policy changes etc., while Sony hasn't changed a thing as far as we know. I personally think that Sony will ship more PS4s this holiday season.

Last edited by a moderator:
What evidence?

The lack of definitive information has been used for some time now to advance agendas like 3TF of power, prove a lack of dedicated audio processing, yield issues and on and on.

Of course the conclusions seem to be tied more directly to the platform and if the individual making the claim wants that company's hardware to be success or a failure rather than anything objective. Nothing new here, its made its way into the DNA of all discussion at this point.

Sony have sold out of its launch inventory. They simply won't waste retail units on the show floor demoes. Devkits suffice. Every single working retail units will be allocated to the customers, save for some marketing units and prototypes.

If they are launching in 32 countries, it would mean the production, distribution, logistics, localization and custom clearing process need to go now/yesterday. They have to be ready already. The tech specs would have been cleared not just in US but in all 32 countries.

The only thing is the software and services. How big is the launch day patch ? ^_^
We know MS will have one because of policy change. There might be some OS bugs to fix also.

The other element is online service. We know Gaikai is announced for 2014. So they only have to deal with basic PS4 PSN and PS+ services. There is also integration with PS3 and Vita's network. When Vita launched, its users were not quite part of the PS3 network. Perhaps we may see something similar this time. It took Sony months to put them together.

We haven't had much leaks on the network side. Maybe that's because it's handled by a completely separate organization, like SOE and the relatively small Gaikai team. I don't remember major Planetside or EverQuest leaks. So perhaps even the Gaf leakers have limited access to RemotePlay and Gaikai progress ?

I am pretty sure this isn't the case as I have yet to see a post about xbox one being FCC'd yet but the PS4 was done ages ago.

FCC certifications don't need to be public. It's not like they need to be accountable to a bunch of rabid fans/detractors on the console's progress...

More than likely Sony is probably going to have more units. Given what we know MS probably is probably going to have a bigger chip which means Sony will have a yield and chip volume advantage per wafer.

And Sony is a CE company who launches way more hardware products than once ever 4-8 years. This is where Sony should have a definitive advantage here.

Unless Sony has lost its touch, I can't imagine MS having more units.

FCC certifications don't need to be public. It's not like they need to be accountable to a bunch of rabid fans/detractors on the console's progress...
But when they cleared FCC has little to nothing to do with the launch date... PS3 cleared FCC in October of 2006 AFAIK.

If a company has said production has started, we wont know how many are being produced until we receive figures, I'm not sure what people find to argue about that, apart from not believing what companies tell us at all.

Back