Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Sadly I think maybe late Nov for Xbox. One of the Amazon dates was Nov 27.

Dont see any December.

Also it might be just be a placeholder date.

they are placeholder dates, and Amazon has had countless times of moving dates when corrected by both developers and manufactures.

Regardless of the speculation, Amazon's date and other sources are based on if Microsoft goes perfectly without a hitch. Even with sony having everything falling into place and sending out tons of good news daily to their gamers, THEY aren't even responding to a date.

Me thinks sony is just trying to keep quiet on the word so that Microsoft won't get the preemptive. In Microsoft's case they probably won't anyways because they're are said to still be in the lab with tests being performed; revising their chips and durability. interesting to say sony hardly leaks any info on their stages of development but they do look to be on time using proper devkits.

[Edit] - we should know a little bit more of the progress of both companies by Comic Con next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
The dates are hardly rocket science, both will want to be on the shelves by Thanksgiving in the US, and both will likely want to be as late as possible to build inventory. I would not be surprised if they both launched the same day.
One of them could launch a week or two earlier, or delays could push either into December.

I am more "worried" about EU and UK release dates frankly :(
December looks like a much more realistic release window for EU/UK

I am more "worried" about EU and UK release dates frankly :(
December looks like a much more realistic release window for EU/UK
You never can tell, but remember the PSP came to the EU/UK six months after North America, the PS3 came four months later, but the PS Vita, just a week. This is the new Sony. They won't want to lose any frustration sales (not being able to source a PS4) to Xbox.

You'll have one in time for Christmas. Probably :???:

Last edited by a moderator:
The dates are hardly rocket science, both will want to be on the shelves by Thanksgiving in the US, and both will likely want to be as late as possible to build inventory. I would not be surprised if they both launched the same day.
One of them could launch a week or two earlier, or delays could push either into December.

Delays could push them into December but in the US at least both will try as much as possible to make them out before onr on black friday as that's one of the biggest shopping days of the year. If either slips past that date there are serious manufacturing issues.

From this post, an apparent XB1 insider was answering questions. Had this to say:
The majority of the masses care only about the console, except that the success of the Kinect carries much more weight to us. The sensor costs almost as much as the console to make.
Speaks volumes about MS's choices and business strategy, and why XB1 costs more for less power. It's about the unique experience and Kinect involvement. The lack of real Kinect demonstrations has undermined MS's strategy at this point, because they're really not selling it as a reason to own an XB1 on account of all the fabulous things it can do.

So it's a Trojan Horse console.

They think it will open up bigger revenue streams somehow, beyond the money they've made in gaming.

What that might be, who knows. Maybe if people get hooked on interacting through Kinect, they can leverage it on other devices, where Kinect is the secret sauce that brings them a big home run, something which has eluded them so far in mobile devices.

From this post, an apparent XB1 insider was answering questions. Had this to say:
Speaks volumes about MS's choices and business strategy, and why XB1 costs more for less power. It's about the unique experience and Kinect involvement. The lack of real Kinect demonstrations has undermined MS's strategy at this point, because they're really not selling it as a reason to own an XB1 on account of all the fabulous things it can do.

What engineer is high-end enough to know the BOM of the console and Kinect and also silly enough to do a Reddit AMA? Unless he's counting R&D of the Kinect, I can't imagine the actual console and the Kinect v3 having the same BOM.

This is what happens when suits get involved. Kiss of death... :cry:

So it's a Trojan Horse console.

They think it will open up bigger revenue streams somehow, beyond the money they've made in gaming.

What that might be, who knows. Maybe if people get hooked on interacting through Kinect, they can leverage it on other devices, where Kinect is the secret sauce that brings them a big home run, something which has eluded them so far in mobile devices.

I think everyone building a black box that sits under your TV is looking for revenue streams. The MS thinking seems to be more about the idea that most people aren't looking to be on the hamster wheel of 'better graphics' but would be interested in the more amorphous 'something different.'

Shiny new console graphics lose their luster after a few years once PCs catch up (which might happen quickly this gen since these consoles are essentially PCs) and everyone has their expectations re-calibrated. Something like Kinect, though, could have new ideas and concepts for a much longer duration.

If true, and for the purpose of this response I will simply assume it to be true, you would really need to demonstrate the device in use making games better. That MS has not is a mind blower.

What engineer is high-end enough to know the BOM of the console and Kinect and also silly enough to do a Reddit AMA? Unless he's counting R&D of the Kinect, I can't imagine the actual console and the Kinect v3 having the same BOM.
The console being less powerful than expected I can understand, yes, but the fact the Kinect is more expensive than the actual console is too much for me to handle.

I don't think that's true. Is he basing this theory on the fact the Xbox One Kinect is going to cost 400 pounds alone to PC developers?

If the Kinect was more expensive than the rest of the hardware .. well all that moneys would be long gone with the losses the Xbox One would eat up.. so "maybe" (big maybe) breaking even on Video games wouldn't be possible at all for MS.

If true, and for the purpose of this response I will simply assume it to be true, you would really need to demonstrate the device in use making games better. That MS has not is a mind blower.

It's almost like the value proposition of the kinect involves a lot of handwaving at this point :LOL:

From what we've seen of it, I think they made a mistake to keep so quiet on the Kinect front after the reveal.

Kinect and the natural language/voice stuff seems like the obvious thing to push with X1, and I imagine they'll lean that way when the time comes.

Microsoft is very much in a damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don't scenario.
  • If MS talked about Kinect then the core forum warriors would eat them alive for catering to an audience that isn't them.
  • If MS did not talk about Kinect then the core forum warriors would eat them alive for not providing details to them.

So what's MS to do? I mean other than be the target of core forum warriors hatred.

Microsoft is very much in a damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don't scenario.
  • If MS talked about Kinect then the core forum warriors would eat them alive for catering to an audience that isn't them.
  • If MS did not talk about Kinect then the core forum warriors would eat them alive for not providing details to them.

So what's MS to do? I mean other than be the target of core forum warriors hatred.
Drop kinect.. :LOL:

It's a huge cost of the system. It about at the same level as the wiiu touchscreen.

If they took it out of the box it'd see a similar low level of support to Kinect v1/PSEYE. This is the mic array, the VC camera, the additional inputs available to every game.

Looks like it's actually awesome too.

If they took it out of the box it'd see a similar low level of support to Kinect v1/PSEYE. This is the mic array, the VC camera, the additional inputs available to every game.

Looks like it's actually awesome too.
Unlike what were are seeing now? I have yet to see any of the AAA game used the system. Really there is more support for second screen tablet/phone than kinect at this point.

If they took it out of the box really it wouldnt change anything about the main games coming out but would drop the price by at least $100-$150. :D

I'd hate to see them drop it, and I'd have preferred that Sony ship the PS4 camera in the box.

I'm not interested in standing up and waving at the TV to play games, but I think integrating natural input with conventional controls might end up being compelling.
I'll admit that remains to be seen.

FWIW I thought the touch pad on the PS4 controller was a waste of space, but the way I've seen it used so far it is at least a positive addition.

Back