Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Agreed i never liked people's voices blaring over my surround system, I much prefer them isolated to a chat headset. Maybe its because the XBL chat quality was lower quality and that, imo, detracts from high quality game sounds/audio.

But why would it have to replay the voice at all? didn't Bkilian (sp?) state the other day that it was possible for the tech to pick up a whisper when room was filled with sound? The mic input does not (in my mind at least) need to be tied to speaker output....

But why would it have to replay the voice at all? didn't Bkilian (sp?) state the other day that it was possible for the tech to pick up a whisper when room was filled with sound? The mic input does not (in my mind at least) need to be tied to speaker output....

The voices of people in the chat channel need to be played over your sound system if you are to hear them when using kinect as your chat system.

Isnt the 360 the only console to ever come with a headset out the box? I don't remember any other console I purchased even coming with one.

It's nice to see that microsoft has chosen this idea to implement into Dx11. It seems very lucrative to their well being. though on the other hand, with all of the updates and cost efficient hardware solutions they're trying to save money on; to the customer (where it matters most) are going to be charged a hefty expensive price regardless.

the price tag that microsoft's asking for the new console is very hypocritical to the nature of it's rumored development, it's like them saying "we're saving money so that we can charge you something expensive in return." To the consumer who will afford this product, LEAST of all things would be concerned about anyone saving money; or else they would have simply gotten a PS4 instead, for their sake and kept the extra $100 bucks.

The dilemma that microsoft is in with price also has forced them in a position where they now have to over compensate in many areas; which only equates to more money being spent. the idea alone of them spending millions on 300,000 servers has already crippled the idea of them saving money at all on development costs.

Keeping an open mind on things, It's good to see the support they hope to achieve with their new console, but the asking price is kind of messing things up with their strategy based on the rumors of being cost efficient.

the idea alone of them spending millions on 300,000 servers has already crippled the idea of them saving money at all on development costs.

Aren't they just using their Azure infrastructure for all that anyway? Looks more like some synergetic cross financing/benefit deal to me.

Microsoft hss spent another 700 $ million on another data centre...

All these costs are reflected into xbone retail price im sure, this is why we shouldn't take BOM alone as the reference for what retail price should be...some nameless peeps were banging on about this a while ago not able to understand the difference. :/

OK so the plot thickens:

Landmark Deal Between Microsoft And Time Warner Cable Brings 300 Live TV Channels To Xbox 360

http://microsoft-news.com/landmark-...able-brings-300-live-tv-channels-to-xbox-360/

In a landmark deal announcement for Xbox 360 and Time Warner Cable customers, we’re excited to share a new partnership that will deliver up to 300 of the most popular live TV channels to Xbox 360 for Xbox Live Gold members. This deal, which will bring more live channels than any other experience on Xbox 360, will offer Time Warner Cable subscribers with an Xbox Live Gold membership the ability to watch their favorite shows from right from their Xbox 360 — including favorites like AMC, BBC World News, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CNN, Comedy Central, Food Network, HGTV and more. And unlike any other platform, you’ll be able to control your entertainment using your voice via Kinect for Xbox 360.

Theres no way this isnt also set up for Xbox One in the near future. I wonder if this is also a semi-cable cutters play in that all you need is a TWC account and a 360 with Live and you can watch without even having a cable box...

The deal would actually be sweet if they were to offer offer either the 360 or XBLG as part of the TWC subscription. MS has to do more to bring the TCO down through bundling instead of driving prices up.

Microsoft hss spent another 700 $ million on another data centre...

All these costs are reflected into xbone retail price im sure, this is why we shouldn't take BOM alone as the reference for what retail price should be...some nameless peeps were banging on about this a while ago not able to understand the difference. :/

Link for the 2nd one they invested $700 million on?

It's nice to see that microsoft has chosen this idea to implement into Dx11. It seems very lucrative to their well being. though on the other hand, with all of the updates and cost efficient hardware solutions they're trying to save money on; to the customer (where it matters most) are going to be charged a hefty expensive price regardless.

the price tag that microsoft's asking for the new console is very hypocritical to the nature of it's rumored development, it's like them saying "we're saving money so that we can charge you something expensive in return." To the consumer who will afford this product, LEAST of all things would be concerned about anyone saving money; or else they would have simply gotten a PS4 instead, for their sake and kept the extra $100 bucks.

The dilemma that microsoft is in with price also has forced them in a position where they now have to over compensate in many areas; which only equates to more money being spent. the idea alone of them spending millions on 300,000 servers has already crippled the idea of them saving money at all on development costs.

Keeping an open mind on things, It's good to see the support they hope to achieve with their new console, but the asking price is kind of messing things up with their strategy based on the rumors of being cost efficient.

I completely agree with you. Im not sure if the idea of skimping on their engineering while over charging on their sales is wise... im actually pretty aggravated by it.

It's a VOI service with XB360 as a client. I presume it's not an exclusive deal and you'll be able to run the same service from other clients like iPad, PC and SmartTV.

Yep.
After already launching applications for smartphones, tablets and Roku's set-top boxes, Time Warner Cable has made an agreement with Microsoft Corp. to bring its TV app to the tech giant's Xbox 360 devices.

Obviously a Kinect-enhanced experience is specific to XB, but I wouldn't consider this a plot-thickening event. It's just a general move by the content industry towards internet delivery platforms. Sky are also rolling out video-over-internet services to their subscribers. I expect next-gen platforms at a very minimum to support HTML standards that support these services. Custom apps are an added bonus (as long as they work well!).

anyone has tried Kinect video chat on Xbox 360 and Xbox One?

does it allow "human tracking" ?

on PC, when i use kinect for video chat via skype. It can automatically zoom in/out and follow me walking around the room.
A nice feature :D

I'm nearing the end with One. All the news ends up being bad news, except TitanFall. I also can barely stand NeoGAF anymore because it's become a Sony Affirmation forum.Having both consoles preordered, and leaning this gen toward MS online enviroment, I'm finding following the One depressing. If I did a pro-con list it would get ugly very quick. What I find interesting is when I look forward to the console releases I get more excited about the ps4. Why, there is just something inspiring about its design and being more powerful. Its like an abusive relationship with MS. Less powerful, more complex, yield issues, more expensive, dev enviroment behind, lackluster design, larger physical design..

I guess this latest headset news is becoming the straw on the camels back for me. Now MS expects my TV speakers to blare racist comments from 12 year olds. Because now they will know there is a good chance they will be blaring out a TV. It is as if nothing has been thought out from day one, or they just don't care about or want the FPS gamer crowd. At what point do I say enough is enough, maybe this isn't the console for me.

I know most will say you can go out and buy a headset, but a lot of people wont. and you've just altered the culture of the online experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
The shortcoming IMO is not supporting XB360's headset. Anyoe who was using voice chat last gen has a headset already. In PS3's case, this was a BT headset, and I presume that'll work too with PS4.

This actually ties in somewhat with the BC thread. Peripheral BC adds value.

The shortcoming IMO is not supporting XB360's headset. Anyoe who was using voice chat last gen has a headset already. In PS3's case, this was a BT headset, and I presume that'll work too with PS4.

This actually ties in somewhat with the BC thread. Peripheral BC adds value.

They're making an adapter to support the 360 headsets. Kind of stupid it won't be in the box.

I'm nearing the end with One. All the news ends up being bad news, except TitanFall. I also can barely stand NeoGAF anymore because it's become a Sony Affirmation forum.Having both consoles preordered, and leaning this gen toward MS online enviroment, I'm finding following the One depressing. If I did a pro-con list it would get ugly very quick. What I find interesting is when I look forward to the console releases I get more excited about the ps4. Why, there is just something inspiring about its design and being more powerful. Its like an abusive relationship with MS. Less powerful, more complex, yield issues, more expensive, dev enviroment behind, lackluster design, larger physical design..

I guess this latest headset news is becoming the straw on the camels back for me. Now MS expects my TV speakers to blare racist comments from 12 year olds. Because now they will know there is a good chance they will be blaring out a TV. It is as if nothing has been thought out from day one, or they just don't care about or want the FPS gamer crowd. At what point do I say enough is enough, maybe this isn't the console for me.

I know most will say you can go out and buy a headset, but a lot of people wont. and you've just altered the culture of the online experience.

i wouldnt let the news cycle deter you from what you want. At first the iphone was an ipod touch with a phone. The ipad was just a big ipod touch without the phone :p

People will razz whatever they dont understand, or whatever they feel is the underdog. DOnt make your purchase rationale external or emotional. If you considered the XB One at one time there probably isnt anything that has really occurred so far thats a deterrent to owning one. There was speculation, hope, then reality- the story is not completely written with either device yet and wont be for a few years. Just like every other device.

Back